Charles Spitzer

Default Ceramic Tile installation: slip under baseboard or remove

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I'm putting ceramic tile on my basement slab. The walls are finished.

I'd hate to remove the baseboards. Can I slip the tile underneath the
baseboard? If so, should I leave space between the tile and drywall?

how are you going to get the baseboards to rise up to leave a space? did you
remove carpet from the slab already and have a space? will that space be
enough?

typically you want the tile under the baseboards. it doesn't matter if you
leave a space and tile and drywall, it isn't going to grow like wood would.
typical installation is to leave a grout line between the tile and
wallboard, but if you put the baseboards on top of the tile, no one will
ever see if you do that or not.

you could tile up to the baseboards, leaving a grout line between the last
tile and baseboard. in that case, then you must grout it or it'll look
silly.

Charles Spitzer

"Mike" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:59:39 -0700, Charles Spitzer wrote:

"Mike" wrote in message
news
I'm putting ceramic tile on my basement slab. The walls are finished.

I'd hate to remove the baseboards. Can I slip the tile underneath the
baseboard? If so, should I leave space between the tile and drywall?

how are you going to get the baseboards to rise up to leave a space? did

you
remove carpet from the slab already and have a space? will that space be
enough?

Yes, I removed carpet from the slab. The tile I bought (only $0.50 a
square foot) is 1/4" thick. I believe the distance between the baseboard
and concrete is about 3/8" thick.

well, you'll have additional height from the thinset, but go right ahead
then. if you won't tell, i won't.

Cutting ceramic tile (?) Home Repair 7 July 12th 04 09:01 PM
Ceramic tile over ceramic tile Don Home Ownership 1 November 23rd 03 06:34 AM
Porcelain vs. ceramic tile installation Pelorus Home Repair 3 November 4th 03 01:32 AM