Ian Stock \(remove the \antispam\\)

Default Brown Lawn, Grubs, ...

I have developed a large brown patch (aprox 200 sq. ft.) in the middle of my
otherwise healthy and green lawn. I suspect grubs, but dug up a few places
and found none. (This might have been because the lawn is already dead, the
grubs have moved on.)

Before I blast the area with grubicide (or whatever it is) does anyone have
any advice on a) verifying the problem, and b) treating it, c) getting back
to "green"?

Thanks,

Ian

Chris Carruth

Maybe it is brownpatch fungus. Get a fungacide liguid at any lawn and garden
store, and use a garden house sprayer to distribute. One application is all
it has ever taken on my lawn.

"Ian Stock (remove the "antispam")" wrote
in message . ..
I have developed a large brown patch (aprox 200 sq. ft.) in the middle of

my
otherwise healthy and green lawn. I suspect grubs, but dug up a few

places
and found none. (This might have been because the lawn is already dead,

the
grubs have moved on.)

Before I blast the area with grubicide (or whatever it is) does anyone

have
any advice on a) verifying the problem, and b) treating it, c) getting

back
to "green"?

Thanks,

Ian

Lar

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 15:18:25 -0400, "Ian Stock \(remove the
\"antispam\"\)" wrote:

I have developed a large brown patch (aprox 200 sq. ft.) in the middle of my
otherwise healthy and green lawn. I suspect grubs, but dug up a few places
and found none. (This might have been because the lawn is already dead, the
grubs have moved on.)

grubs will eat the roots so the dead area will lift up like the
welcome mat on a fronch porch...if the roots seem to be in tact you
might dig up a sq foot section and take to a local nursery to identify
what sort of disease may efect what ever type of lawn you have.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Joseph Meehan

Ian Stock (remove the "antispam")" ianstock"antispam wrote:
I have developed a large brown patch (aprox 200 sq. ft.) in the middle of

my
otherwise healthy and green lawn. I suspect grubs, but dug up a few

places
and found none. (This might have been because the lawn is already dead,

the
grubs have moved on.)

Before I blast the area with grubicide (or whatever it is) does anyone

have
any advice on a) verifying the problem, and b) treating it, c) getting

back
to "green"?

Thanks,

Ian

More likely fungus or other insects. Lar has the right advice.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Ian Stock \(remove the \antispam\\)

The dead turf is more like thatch than doormat. But it does come up easily.

the brownpatch fungus note in earlier response, the area is quite dry
with lots of direct sunlight, which I would think precludes fungus.

Ian

\"antispam\"\)" wrote:

I have developed a large brown patch (aprox 200 sq. ft.) in the

middle of my
otherwise healthy and green lawn. I suspect grubs, but dug up a few

places
and found none. (This might have been because the lawn is already

dead, the
grubs have moved on.)

grubs will eat the roots so the dead area will lift up like the
welcome mat on a fronch porch...if the roots seem to be in tact you
might dig up a sq foot section and take to a local nursery to identify
what sort of disease may efect what ever type of lawn you have.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Joseph Meehan

Ian Stock (remove the "antispam")" ianstock"antispam wrote:
The dead turf is more like thatch than doormat. But it does come up

easily.

the brownpatch fungus note in earlier response, the area is quite dry
with lots of direct sunlight, which I would think precludes fungus.

Ian

Does not sound like grubs. Take a sample in and find out what it is.
Don't treat and kill off everything around, when you don't know if you have
anything that needs to be killed.

I have seen several cases of brown spots showing up after a dry spell.
The common problems are some buried object, like rock or wood; a natural gas
leak, or in a couple of cases, reflections off a window overheating the
grass. On occasion dogs can also cause problems.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Norminn

Ian Stock (remove the \"antispam\") wrote:
I have developed a large brown patch (aprox 200 sq. ft.) in the middle of my
otherwise healthy and green lawn. I suspect grubs, but dug up a few places
and found none. (This might have been because the lawn is already dead, the
grubs have moved on.)

Before I blast the area with grubicide (or whatever it is) does anyone have
any advice on a) verifying the problem, and b) treating it, c) getting back
to "green"?

Thanks,

Ian

Look at a extension service website for your area. The last advice I
read in looking for grubs was to lay back a square foot of sod and count
the grubs that you find. Can recall what number is acceptable per sq ft
- three?

Has this been a gradual or sudden problem? Warm climate? Mole crickets
here in Florida can scalp a lot of lawn. One method for finding them is
to saturate about a sq foot of sod with soapy water - tbsp of
dishwashing detergen per gallon - wait and see what comes up for air.
Interesting experiment, as it causes even earthworms to struggle for air.

Norminn

Norminn wrote:

[...]

I intended to say "I cannot recall.....". Also forgot what was most
important - take a soil sample and a section of sod from the border of
your problem area to have them determine what the problem is.

Also, have you applied any chemicals recently? Conditions wetter or
drier than normal? How long has the problem existed?

Our condo had large bare areas, but seemed to have no specific problem,
other than poor maintenance. A gopher cricket infestation, here,
could kill a lot of lawn and be long gone if one did not stay on top of
problems. It is also easy to cause damage through improper application
of fertilizer and/or herbicides.

Has this been a gradual or sudden problem? Warm climate? Mole crickets
here in Florida can scalp a lot of lawn. One method for finding them is
to saturate about a sq foot of sod with soapy water - tbsp of
dishwashing detergen per gallon - wait and see what comes up for air.
Interesting experiment, as it causes even earthworms to struggle for air.

Peter H

Ian Stock (remove the "antispam") wrote:
I have developed a large brown patch (aprox 200 sq. ft.) in the middle of my
otherwise healthy and green lawn. I suspect grubs, but dug up a few places
and found none. (This might have been because the lawn is already dead, the
grubs have moved on.)

Before I blast the area with grubicide (or whatever it is) does anyone have
any advice on a) verifying the problem, and b) treating it, c) getting back
to "green"?

Thanks,

Ian

It would help to know where you live Ian, but doesn't sound like grub
damage. To check for grubs or any other insect check at the border where
the lawn is still green. It sounds like a surface feeding insect to me.
In our area of Canada I would suspect Chinch Bug.

Peter H

Bonnie Jean

"Peter H" wrote in message
. rogers.com...
Ian Stock (remove the "antispam") wrote:
I have developed a large brown patch

You might want to post to "alt.home.lawn.garden"

Peter H

Ian Stock (remove the "antispam") wrote:
I'm in Toronto.

"Peter H" wrote in message
. rogers.com...

[...]

I stand by my original guess if you are in the Toront area. When you
walk on the dead area does it feel different? If so chances are the root
structure is gone and there is little home for the patch.

Peter H