Mya70

Default How long does tiling take?

Hi guys,

This may be an odd question, but how long does it take to tile a shower? Just
a regular stand-up shower, 3.5 feet wide, 8 feet high? I ask because I've
hired someone to do it and it's taking forever. It makes me wonder whether I
had any idea just how big a job this was or whether this guy just works
incredibly slow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew
Greg

A real tile guy would knock that out before lunch but it is probably a 2 day
job for a homeowner. You will set the tile one day and grout it the next,
spending more time sponging than grouting no doubt.

George E. Cawthon

Probably just real slow and may not know what he is doing. However,
preparation to start tiling can take a while if it is a mess to begin
with. Once that is done the actual tile setting and grouting goes
fast.

Mya70 wrote:

Hi guys,

This may be an odd question, but how long does it take to tile a shower? Just
a regular stand-up shower, 3.5 feet wide, 8 feet high? I ask because I've
hired someone to do it and it's taking forever. It makes me wonder whether I
had any idea just how big a job this was or whether this guy just works
incredibly slow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

Kyle Boatright

"Mya70" wrote in message
Hi guys,

This may be an odd question, but how long does it take to tile a shower?

Just
a regular stand-up shower, 3.5 feet wide, 8 feet high? I ask because I've
hired someone to do it and it's taking forever. It makes me wonder

whether I
had any idea just how big a job this was or whether this guy just works
incredibly slow.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

Let's see...

Step 1: Put up the backerboard: 1-2 hours

Step 2: Install the tile 1/2-1 day.

Step 3: Grout: 1 hr

Step 4: Seal grout: Depends on process used. Some
processes require repeated coats over several days.

The bottom line is that it is a day to a day and a half job, plus sealing
the grout.

KB

Mya70

Thank you to everyone who answered. I really appreciate the assistance.

Matthew
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mya70, Chris wrote:
mya70 wrote:

Hi guys,
This may be an odd question, but how long does it take to tile a shower?

Just
a regular stand-up shower, 3.5 feet wide, 8 feet high? I ask because I've
hired someone to do it and it's taking forever. It makes me wonder

whether I
had any idea just how big a job this was or whether this guy just works
incredibly slow.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matthew

It's a 3 day job 1st day backer board, under layment, mud bed and set the
curb 2nd day tile 3rd grout. If you got a good job what does it matter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 8:44:06 PM UTC-5, Chris wrote:

replying to Mya70, Chris wrote:

It's a 3 day job 1st day backer board, under layment, mud bed and set the
curb 2nd day tile 3rd grout. If you got a good job what does it matter?

Welllllll, if Myra has not gotten that tiling job
completed since it was first posted on 8/31/04 I
wouldn't worry about answering the question after
eleven (11) years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Aug 2015 22:31:18 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann
wrote:

On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 8:44:06 PM UTC-5, Chris wrote:

replying to Mya70, Chris wrote:

It's a 3 day job 1st day backer board, under layment, mud bed and set the
curb 2nd day tile 3rd grout. If you got a good job what does it matter?

Welllllll, if Myra has not gotten that tiling job
completed since it was first posted on 8/31/04 I
wouldn't worry about answering the question after
eleven (11) years.

Eleven years is slow for a tile job. At this point I'd kick his ass
out and get someone else to finish. I just hope she is not paying by
the hour.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, Nurse Vee wrote:
Lol 😁!!! I needed that... This is the 4th day. Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Nurse Vee, Danny4Tile wrote:
ANYONE WHO SAYS IT TAKES A COUPLE HOURS OR HALF A DAY... I DONT NEED TO SEE
YOUR WORK TO SAY IT IS GARBAGE. THESE R THE JOBS I GET CALLED ON TO REPAIR AND
FIX AND MOST TIMES NEED TO GET FULLY REDONE.

IF THE PREPWORK IS DONE AND WE R USING BIG TILES THEN OK HALF A DAY OR A DAY.

MOST BATHROOMS HAVE SOME KIND OF DESIGN LISTELLO BORDERS BULLNOSE METAL TRIM
ETC. NO TWO BATHROOMS ARE EXACTLY ALIKE SOBWE NEED TIME TO WORKOUT A LAYOUT.

SOME GUYS ARE FASTER SOME ARE SLOWER LETS NOT GO TO THE EXTREMES. SOME ARE
CLUELESS. BUT THIS IS NOT A COMPETITION.

SOME OF HOMEOWNERS WANT YOU TO FINISH BEFORE U EVEN START AN THEY EXPECT
PERFECTION. THIS IS A BATHROOM THAT YOUR GOING TO BE USING FOR THE REST OF
YOUR LIFE IN THE CASE OF MANY. YOU WANT NICE PAY FOR IT AND WAIT FOR IT.

IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT HOW ITS GOING TO LOOK THEN Y EVE CALL A TILE GUY. DO IT
YOURSELF OR LET HIM KNOW IT DOESNT REALLY MATTER AND HELL FINISH IN HALF THE
TIME.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Danny4Tile, Pragmatic to a Fault wrote:
Quality Job
Fast Job
Cheap Job

Pick two, because that's all you get. If somebody promises you all three,
you'll wind up with nothing!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2017 10:44 AM, Pragmatic to a Fault wrote:
replying to Danny4Tile, Pragmatic to a Fault wrote:
Quality Job
Fast Job
Cheap Job

Pick two, because that's all you get.Â* If somebody promises you all three,
you'll wind up with nothing!

When I was doing my bathrooms a couple of years ago, I thought the tile
guy was taking forever. Seemed like at the end of the day just about
nothing was done. It has been three years now since it was finished and
I cannot find even a minor flaw. Everything is perfectly plumb and
level, (epoxy) grout is perfect. He was priced fairly too. I caught
him at a time he was not busy and I did not bug him so he liked working
in my house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 29, 2017 at 6:44:18 AM UTC-5, Danny4Tile wrote:

[...]

I should have guessed. It's another retard from HomeMoanersHub
with his capital key stuck in uppercase and screaming at us.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 11:43:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/29/2017 10:44 AM, Pragmatic to a Fault wrote:
replying to Danny4Tile, Pragmatic to a Fault wrote:
Quality Job
Fast Job
Cheap Job

Pick two, because that's all you get.* If somebody promises you all three,
you'll wind up with nothing!

When I was doing my bathrooms a couple of years ago, I thought the tile
guy was taking forever. Seemed like at the end of the day just about
nothing was done. It has been three years now since it was finished and
I cannot find even a minor flaw. Everything is perfectly plumb and
level, (epoxy) grout is perfect. He was priced fairly too. I caught
him at a time he was not busy and I did not bug him so he liked working
in my house.

I told a boss one time; you hired me because I'm good, not because I'm
fast. I followed his exact instructions. He agreed on the quality of
my work as he instructed me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, Danny4Tile wrote:
Actually I only signed up to reply on here and wanted to make sure a retard
like yourself got a chance to read this. Thanks Joan

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Danny4Tile, Bobby wrote:
Pathetic. You can't come up with better than a personal attack? I hope this
reflects upon your business.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/2/2017 5:14 AM, Danny4Tile wrote:
replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, Danny4Tile wrote:
Actually I only signed up to reply on here and wanted to make sure a retard
like yourself got a chance to read this. Thanks Joan

Are you so retarded that you don't know that reading all caps is more
difficult that proper capitalization. You are making it harder to read
what you say. Is that what you want?

https://www.mity.com.au/blog/writing...o-hard-to-read

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Bobby, Danny4Tile wrote:
Youre absolutely RIGHT bobby just because "she" took the liberty to call me a
retard doesnt give me the right to do the same. An angry mind is narrow mind.
I FIND THAT USING UPPERCASE IS SOMETIMES NECESSARY. But calling someone u dnt
know a retard isnt always a gr8 idea. I do have a tendency to seek revenge
when I feel personally attacked. Maybe I should work on that. But my business
is more than fine dnt worry too much this wont reflect much. Thank you for
your concern. 🤑

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

replying to Greg, Joe wrote:
Stupid comment. Nobody can do what you are saying. LOL. It depends on if
you have a helper as well, what floor it's on in the house, how tight the
space is, where you can do your cutting at, how square the wall are, ......a
million things. What size tile, are there niches and benches,.....I don't
think you personally have ever tiled anything in your life. And tile "pro"
wouldn't get it done in 2 days let alone Joe homeowner.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

replying to Kyle Boatright, Joe wrote:
Laughable and not possible

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 26, 2017 at 11:44:08 PM UTC-6, Joe wrote:

replying to Greg, Joe wrote:

Stupid comment. Nobody can do what you are saying. LOL. It depends on if
you have a helper as well, what floor it's on in the house, how tight the
space is, where you can do your cutting at, how square the wall are, ......a
million things. What size tile, are there niches and benches,.....I don't
think you personally have ever tiled anything in your life. And tile "pro"
wouldn't get it done in 2 days let alone Joe homeowner.

for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

What?!? Another retard from HomeMoanersHub replying to a
THIRTEEN YEAR OLD THREAD??????

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Greg, Joe wrote:

Stupid comment. Nobody can do what you are saying. LOL. It depends on if
you have a helper as well, what floor it's on in the house, how tight the
space is, where you can do your cutting at, how square the wall are, .......a
million things. What size tile, are there niches and benches,.....I don't
think you personally have ever tiled anything in your life. And tile "pro"
wouldn't get it done in 2 days let alone Joe homeowner.

What?!? Another retard from HomeMoanersHub replying to a
THIRTEEN YEAR OLD THREAD??????

OMG! Just think of how many gerbils lived and died during that time!ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

replying to Greg, Joe wrote:

Stupid comment. Nobody can do what you are saying. LOL. It depends on if
you have a helper as well, what floor it's on in the house, how tight the
space is, where you can do your cutting at, how square the wall are, ......a
million things. What size tile, are there niches and benches,.....I don't
think you personally have ever tiled anything in your life. And tile "pro"
wouldn't get it done in 2 days let alone Joe homeowner.

What?!? Another retard from HomeMoanersHub replying to a
THIRTEEN YEAR OLD THREAD??????

OMG! Just think of how many gerbils lived and died during that time!?(?)?

[8~{} Uncle Fuzzy Monster

Let us hope they escaped the tile monster...

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Pragmatic to a Fault, Whatever wrote:
Like I tell my customers when it takes longer. Hate me now or hate me Later!!!!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to ItsJoanNotJoann, Frank wrote:
first off Joan he does not sound like a retard, don't be so rude. he is
correct

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joe, jbkeam wrote:
Agreed Kyle is smoking crack

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Kyle Boatright, jbkeam wrote:
no way

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Chris, jbkeam wrote:
if your working sun up to sun down and have all your supplies

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 9:14:05 AM UTC-5, jbkeam wrote:
replying to Joe, jbkeam wrote:
Agreed Kyle is smoking crack
--

I'm sure that Joe has been sitting on his hands for 6 months waiting for your comment. ^_^

[8~{} Uncle Timely Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2018 10:14 AM, jbkeam wrote:
replying to Chris, jbkeam wrote:
if your working sun up to sun down and have all your supplies

AroundÂ* 21 June in the Northern Hemisphere and 22 December in the Southern Hemisphere, the sun is visible for the full 24 hours, given fair weather.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/27/2018 10:19 AM, Sonny wrote:
On 05/27/2018 10:14 AM, jbkeam wrote:
replying to Chris, jbkeam wrote:
if your working sun up to sun down and have all your supplies

AroundÂ* 21 June in the Northern Hemisphere and 22 December in the
Southern Hemisphere, the sun is visible for the full 24 hours, given
fair weather.

You mean at the polar region, respectively?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/27/2018 11:23 AM, Meanie wrote:
On 5/27/2018 10:19 AM, Sonny wrote:
On 05/27/2018 10:14 AM, jbkeam wrote:
replying to Chris, jbkeam wrote:
if your working sun up to sun down and have all your supplies

AroundÂ* 21 June in the Northern Hemisphere and 22 December in the Southern Hemisphere, the sun is visible for the full 24 hours, given fair weather.

You mean at the polar region, respectively?

Oops.Â* Like the real estate mantra: Location, location, location!

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Joe, Holland construction & tile wrote:
Joe, you are 100% right. Greg probably is at master tile level on his Nintendo
game but obviously has no idea how to tile anything other than a computer
game. If he has tiled anything other than that, like real porcelain, ceramic,
travertine, etc, (by the way Greg, these are the names of some tiles grown ups
use to make a living), a professional has had to fix it. If he has attempted
to install a custom shower, God help the poor homeowner with water damage,
mold, and no house to live in because Greg's shower pan leaked and ruined
someone's house. It would probably take me a whole day for the first course of
tile unless it was EXACTLY 100% level. Haven't seen one yet. Not by me, or any
other time professional. Greg must have gotten the wateroroffing done before
breakfast. Funny, it's the ones who make comments exactly like that are the
ones who I go right behind and have to completely start from scratch and
repair every step of their work. You give talented Craftsmen a bad name. Your
lying and deception will be your demise. God help you.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Kyle Boatright, Holland construction & tile wrote:

Kyle, I always wondered how long it takes to tile a 3 SQ FT leprechaun shower.
Thanks. Your grouting before your tile is set? Dumbass.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mya70, Terry wrote:
That is approximately a 7 -8 hour job assuming there is no prep work on walls
and if u are using Kerdi board or type of waterproofing like that could be an
extra cpl hrs and that is if using a good tile saw using a small motor tile
saw takes much longer to cut tile.After 24 hrs the grout can be applied non
sanded grout could be done that size grouting that size shower in a cpl
hrs.Using sanded gtout takes a bit more time. So total without water proofing
material 2days or approx. 9-10 hrs

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Mya70, Terry wrote:
Sorry wanted to throw in also depends on how u want tile lay out
straight,block style,third tile style or diagonal .

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

I find it offensive that you called someone you disagree with "she". And even put it in quotes to make it stand out.. Sexist jerk!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ke-549320-.htm