DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Toilet closet flange extension ring questions. Plumbers, help! (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/67227-toilet-closet-flange-extension-ring-questions-plumbers-help.html)

GeekBoy August 30th 04 03:21 PM

Toilet closet flange extension ring questions. Plumbers, help!

Even with a 1/2" closet flange extension ring, the flange still sits
about 1/4" lower than the new tile floor. Is that okay for a standard
wax ring, or should I get an extra-thick wax ring?
Also, how do I secure the 1/2" flange extension to the existing closet
flange? It just sits on top of it with the bolts running up through
it, but I imagine it could wiggle around... should I screw it down
through the original flange to the sub floor?
Lastly, will the closet flange extension ring leak? I just sits on
the existing flange... won't it leak through that tiny gap as it sits
on the flange without any wax or anything under it?
Thanks!

Randy Anderson September 4th 04 01:21 PM

1. The top of the flange should be above the level of the floor by at
least an 1/8 of an inch.

2. You can add another flange extension ring. Make sure you use a
seal ring between the flange extension rings. Some mfgs include a
"rubber" ring to seal between but you could also use part of a wax
ring. Key thing is to get a good seal.

3. Connection between.. If you can use a wood screw to hold the
flange extenders tight to the floor that would be the best but it is
also ok just to install long flange bolts.

4. I don't recommend 2 wax rings.. I have seen to many of them get
off center and end up blocking the line.

Randy