BaC

Default French Drain - Gluing Pipes?

I'm installing a surface drainage (for downspouts) and subsurface (french
drain) system in my backyard. I was reading a pamphlet of one of the piping
mfgs (I think it was NDS), and it said to glue all piping connections.

This seems like wasted time and effort since small leakage at joints isn't a
concern. The only reason I can imagine is so that during backfill, you don't
accidentally knock a joint loose, which would be trouble. Since I'm doing
this all by hand, I don't think that would be a problem in my case.

Is gluing joints for such a system standard practice?
Thx, Bruce

Joe Bobst

The only reason I can imagine is so that during backfill, you don't
accidentally knock a joint loose, which would be trouble

In some areas freeze-thaw cycles also will shift piping joints. The extra time
you might spend on putting glue in a joint is a miniscule part of the project,
so why not just do it? Think how much better you will feel...

Joe

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 22:05:51 GMT, someone wrote:

I'm installing a surface drainage (for downspouts) and subsurface (french
drain) system in my backyard. I was reading a pamphlet of one of the piping
mfgs (I think it was NDS), and it said to glue all piping connections.

This seems like wasted time and effort since small leakage at joints isn't a
concern. The only reason I can imagine is so that during backfill, you don't
accidentally knock a joint loose, which would be trouble. Since I'm doing
this all by hand, I don't think that would be a problem in my case.

Is gluing joints for such a system standard practice?

Yes gluing is std. If I had a job done, I'd want it glued. Funny how
what we'd be mad about if a contractor skipped it, can be rationalized
when you're doing it yourself!

The next guy, or even you in a few years, might be using a backhoe
when the system gets repaired or revised in future years. Yes a joint
could be knocked loose, or holes out of line, and then yeah it would
be trouble.

Even today, doing it myself, I'd want the prior joints stabilized so
that I had no worries when horsing the next pipe into place. Its not
a hard job to glue them, esp if the quality of the gluingn is not
critical, as in what you have (who cares if there is a leak).

I'd say to glue it. I put in a short run myself and I never
considered NOT gluing it.

-v.