DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Drill Doctor 500 - ANY GOOD ???? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/66111-drill-doctor-500-any-good.html)

Conase August 22nd 04 03:43 AM

Drill Doctor 500 - ANY GOOD ????

I have used a B&D drill sharpener from like 30 years ago.
Did a good job - thru trial and error - on sharpening drills.
You could mess them up royally if you were not careful.

Is the Drill Doctor any good / better ?
I notice the 500 model is capable of doing both 118 and 135º angles.

I read that the diamond wheel is only good for 500 shaprenings - who's counting
..

We hear about how durable diamond is.
I would have imagined the Drill Doctor wheel would last far longer than the
carborundum wheel in my ancient B&D unit from 30 years ago.
500 ( approx.) grinds does not seem like much for a DIAMOND wheel on HSS drill
bits.

Is there a slight learning curve to using this unit to get the correct angles ?
I would think YES.

Comments ?

TIA

Joe Agro August 22nd 04 03:49 AM

Don't know anything about the drill dr. unit, but if there is a way to get
water on that diamond wheel, it should last longer...

Or you could just order your drills in bulk from McMaster, Grainger, etc.

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ
Ride a Motorcycle? Ask me about "The Ride"
http://www.youthelate.com/the_ride.htm

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

.

Edwin Pawlowski August 22nd 04 04:00 AM

"Conase" wrote in message

Is the Drill Doctor any good / better ?
I notice the 500 model is capable of doing both 118 and 135º angles.

Is there a slight learning curve to using this unit to get the correct

angles ?
I would think YES.

It has been touted by quite a few as being very good. Easy to use. Check
the web page for a video.

Only problems I have is justifying the cost. For the price of the machine,
I can buy a lifetime supply of bits. OTOH, if I had a machine shop or did a
lot of drilling operations, I'd have one.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome

PrecisionMachinisT August 22nd 04 04:05 AM

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Conase" wrote in message

Is the Drill Doctor any good / better ?
I notice the 500 model is capable of doing both 118 and 135º angles.

Is there a slight learning curve to using this unit to get the correct

angles ?
I would think YES.

It has been touted by quite a few as being very good. Easy to use. Check
the web page for a video.

Only problems I have is justifying the cost. For the price of the

machine,
I can buy a lifetime supply of bits. OTOH, if I had a machine shop or did

lot of drilling operations, I'd have one.

I generally just throw away drills smaller than about 3/8 inch dia.

--

SVL

Steven Bliss August 22nd 04 09:44 PM

I have one I got as a gift. The bits are sharper now than when they were
new, and seem to hold the edge longer, too. I wait until I get 4 or 5 bits
dull before setting up to sharpen. Very easy to set up, though. Very handy
if you break the tip off a bit. Wish it could sharpen brad points, though.