Default Dryer vent runs up into attic but not outside...

Recently I added a room to my house requiring that the gas dryer vent be
rerouted. The contractor routed it up into the attic. He was going to run
it through the attic then outside the house but never finished it. He said
it would be fine just up into the attic without being vented outside.

Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?

Thanks

Doug Kanter

wrote in message
Recently I added a room to my house requiring that the gas dryer vent be
rerouted. The contractor routed it up into the attic. He was going to

run
it through the attic then outside the house but never finished it. He

said
it would be fine just up into the attic without being vented outside.

Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?

Thanks

If you find the right neighborhood and ask around, you will be able to find
someone who will break the contractor's legs and fingers for a very
reasonable fee. Do it before he continues on his path of destruction.

The dryer needs to be vented outside. Period. End of story. And, cutting a
hole in the roof for such a thing is absolutely ridiculous. Do not let him
cut the roof. Where is this dryer? Basement? First floor? On an outside wall
or close to one?

Eric Tonks

Check the gas regulations. A vent for a gas dryer not only takes the
moisture from the clothes but is also the vent (read chimney) for the gas
heaters -- this is the same as venting a heater into the attic. Regulations
require it to be vented OUTSIDE.

wrote in message
Recently I added a room to my house requiring that the gas dryer vent be
rerouted. The contractor routed it up into the attic. He was going to

run
it through the attic then outside the house but never finished it. He

said
it would be fine just up into the attic without being vented outside.

Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?

Thanks

dpsours

Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?

Absolutely! You do NOT want that moist air pumping into your attic,
unless you enjoy things like mold, rot and peeling paint. If you live
in a cold climate, you can add ice dams to the list of fun
consequences. You should call your contractor back and make him
install a soffit vent. That was inexcusable.

Bruce

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 04:10:27 GMT, wrote:

Recently I added a room to my house requiring that the gas dryer vent be
rerouted. The contractor routed it up into the attic. He was going to run
it through the attic then outside the house but never finished it. He said
it would be fine just up into the attic without being vented outside.

Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?

Thanks

Any gas appliance needs to be vented outside.

The shorter the distance to the outside, either wall or roof, the
better it will be since the vent pipe will have to be cleaned from
time to time. (When we install new jacks on a roofing job I sometimes
see dryer pipes that are completely clogged with lint).

A straight, non-flexible, vent pipe will be more efficient and easier
to clean. Also, don't use screws to attach sections of pipe since
they will catch the lint and tend to clog up the pipe--better to tape
the sections together, if necessary.

Bruce
A&B Construction
Houston, TX
www.roof.cc
John Barry

Of course not, if you don't use the dryer, or don't mind major
moisture-induced damage. Or combustion by-products inside the
structure. :')

For one, it's probably a code-violation, and should be remedied ASAP.
For another, if you paid for it to be vented outside, that should be
made so.

That contractor cut big corners, and lied. Don't trust him, if you
ever did.

HTH,
John

wrote in message ...
Recently I added a room to my house requiring that the gas dryer vent be
rerouted. The contractor routed it up into the attic. He was going to run
it through the attic then outside the house but never finished it. He said
it would be fine just up into the attic without being vented outside.

Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?

Thanks

xrongor

one other thing nobody has mentioned... a big part of the reason for
venting isnt in the summer, but in the winter. you want the air space in
the attic to be about the same temp as the outside air to keep the snow from
melting too quickly and re freezing as it hits the edge where the roof
overhangs the house. this is known as an ice dam. pumping heat into the
attic will cause them.

randy

wrote in message
Recently I added a room to my house requiring that the gas dryer vent be
rerouted. The contractor routed it up into the attic. He was going to

run
it through the attic then outside the house but never finished it. He

said
it would be fine just up into the attic without being vented outside.

Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?

Thanks

Doug Kanter

"xrongor" wrote in message
one other thing nobody has mentioned... a big part of the reason for
venting isnt in the summer, but in the winter. you want the air space in
the attic to be about the same temp as the outside air to keep the snow

from
melting too quickly and re freezing as it hits the edge where the roof
overhangs the house. this is known as an ice dam. pumping heat into the
attic will cause them.

.....and boy oh boy are ice dams fun. My ex wife had a 6 foot section of
plaster wall pretty much turn to mud this past winter, all because of an ice
dam just a foot wide. The details are too horrible to discuss further.

Joseph Meehan

rednelb wrote:
Are these regulations for gas dryers the same as an electric dryer? (has

be vented outside?)

The regulations are different, but the recommendation about venting to
the attic is the same. In some areas local code will prohibit venting to
the attic of gas or electric.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Doug Kanter

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
rednelb wrote:
Are these regulations for gas dryers the same as an electric dryer? (has

be vented outside?)

The regulations are different, but the recommendation about venting to
the attic is the same. In some areas local code will prohibit venting to
the attic of gas or electric.

Considering the frequency with which we see questions in this NG about attic
fans, it's astounding that anyone would even entertain the idea of pumping
hot, moist air into an attic, regardless of the safety consequences.

Ron

James,
In CA contractors are required to have a license for doing any work over
$500.00. This assures you that they are bonded and insured and it gives you
some recourse, but you still need to check them out carefully because a
license isn't an absolute guarantee that they are responsible. I don't know
if TX has a similar requirement.

Get references before you hire. Don't hire anyone who only gives you a PO
Box for an address. Don't pay more than 1/3 down.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

wrote in message
Recently I added a room to my house requiring that the gas dryer vent be
rerouted. The contractor routed it up into the attic. He was going to

run
it through the attic then outside the house but never finished it. He

said
it would be fine just up into the attic without being vented outside.

Are there any problems just leaving it venting inside the attic?

Plenty.

Get it vented outside, and your contractor should be the one, at his cost,
to do it.

Thanks