David

Default Mr. Clean Auto Dry - "sorta" good idea, lousy execution

I picked up one today, filled it with the detergent and had
a mess on my hands (literally). The flimsy cover for the
detergent reservoir didn't prevent spillage of the expensive
and messy concentrated detergent. I returned it to the
store for a refund, after first ascertaining that another
unit suffered from the same problem.

I know the thing will leave a spotless finish, but after
buying the unit, extra detergent and deionizer cartridge, I
expect more quality for my money and less hassle from it's
usage. I'll stick to conventional methods of wet, soap,
rinse, towel dry. With my luck, I'd most likely drop the
thing on the driveway and watch it burst into 500 pieces.
Maybe Mr. Clean Auto Dry is a solution looking for a problem.

If you have smallish hands, the handle will be
uncomfortable. I wear extra large gloves, so for me it's
not an issue, but folks with small to medium sized hands
should give Auto Dry a "test drive" before wasting their money.

BTW, they suggest you wash in the shade, and don't use any
detergent but their super expensive concoction. AND you
will not get much water flow when you use the deionized
water for rinsing. If you are short and have a tall vehicle
like a van or SUV, forget about getting the wimpy stream to
reach the roof unless you are standing on a ladder.

David
Bill Schnakenberg

David wrote:

I picked up one today, filled it with the detergent and had a mess on
my hands (literally). The flimsy cover for the detergent reservoir
didn't prevent spillage of the expensive and messy concentrated
detergent. I returned it to the store for a refund, after first
ascertaining that another unit suffered from the same problem.

I know the thing will leave a spotless finish, but after buying the
unit, extra detergent and deionizer cartridge, I expect more quality
for my money and less hassle from it's usage. I'll stick to
conventional methods of wet, soap, rinse, towel dry. With my luck,
I'd most likely drop the thing on the driveway and watch it burst into
500 pieces. Maybe Mr. Clean Auto Dry is a solution looking for a problem.

I've never had much luck with any of those car wash gimmicks. Water
powered spinning brushes or spinning felt pads, static brushes that
attach to hoses, etc. All of which waste water (unless you don't attach
the hose). Like you, I always go back to the basics. Wet down, wash with
car wash soap and towel (or brush), rinse, and dry with chamois. I am
still using a 10 year old chamois that is made by Speedo, and used by
swimmers to dry off after swimming competitions.
I still use the old Simonize paste car wax, which shine actually does
last a whole year.

If you have smallish hands, the handle will be uncomfortable. I wear
extra large gloves, so for me it's not an issue, but folks with small
to medium sized hands should give Auto Dry a "test drive" before
wasting their money.

BTW, they suggest you wash in the shade, and don't use any detergent
but their super expensive concoction. AND you will not get much water
flow when you use the deionized water for rinsing. If you are short
and have a tall vehicle like a van or SUV, forget about getting the
wimpy stream to reach the roof unless you are standing on a ladder.

David

David

I worded this wrong: " I wear
extra large gloves, so for me it's not an issue, " I

meant I have extra large HANDS--I don't wear gloves while
washing my vehicles.

David

David wrote:

If you have smallish hands, the handle will be uncomfortable. I wear
extra large gloves, so for me it's not an issue, but folks with small to
medium sized hands should give Auto Dry a "test drive" before wasting
their money.

David

Bill, I didn't know that people used chamois's on themselves!

I like "KISS" methods too. Simoniz takes a lot of elbow
grease; I use NuFinish and other easy to apply waxes. Most
don't last long though.

David

Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

I've never had much luck with any of those car wash gimmicks. Water
powered spinning brushes or spinning felt pads, static brushes that
attach to hoses, etc. All of which waste water (unless you don't attach
the hose). Like you, I always go back to the basics. Wet down, wash with
car wash soap and towel (or brush), rinse, and dry with chamois. I am
still using a 10 year old chamois that is made by Speedo, and used by
swimmers to dry off after swimming competitions.
I still use the old Simonize paste car wax, which shine actually does
last a whole year.

Scott Packard

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 21:03:04 -0700, David wrote:

I know the thing will leave a spotless finish, but after
buying the unit, extra detergent and deionizer cartridge, I
expect more quality for my money and less hassle from it's
usage. I'll stick to conventional methods of wet, soap,
rinse, towel dry. With my luck, I'd most likely drop the
thing on the driveway and watch it burst into 500 pieces.
Maybe Mr. Clean Auto Dry is a solution looking for a problem.

snip
BTW, they suggest you wash in the shade, and don't use any
detergent but their super expensive concoction. AND you
will not get much water flow when you use the deionized
water for rinsing. If you are short and have a tall vehicle
like a van or SUV, forget about getting the wimpy stream to
reach the roof unless you are standing on a ladder.

I'm having some luck with adding baking soda to the wash bucket
before adding any detergent. I had expected it to only soften
the water (exchange potassium- and calcium- junk for sodium- junk).
I thought it would only help the detergent work a little better,
but it seems to help lower the surface tension of the rinse
water also, causing it to sheen a little more and form less
droplets.

Regards, Scott

Bill Schnakenberg

David wrote:

Bill, I didn't know that people used chamois's on themselves!

My daughter was on the swim team in HS. We bought it at a local sports
store that specialized in competitive swimming attire and equipment.
After she graduated, the Speedo went into the garage with the other car
care stuff. Maybe it wasn't chamois, but it looked, acted, and felt like
it. Not like that imitation crap that is sold in auto parts stores that
sheds after a few uses, and you then have to dust off all those orange
flakes.

I like "KISS" methods too. Simoniz takes a lot of elbow grease; I use
NuFinish and other easy to apply waxes. Most don't last long though.

That's why I use Simonize. Applied once a year, rather than 2 or 3 times
a year with the other quick stuff.
I Simonized my truck last summer, and a quick summer shower just passed
through here. The water on the hood on my truck (which is the first
place for the wax to disappear) is still beading and running off.

David

Bill Schnakenberg wrote:

I've never had much luck with any of those car wash gimmicks. Water
powered spinning brushes or spinning felt pads, static brushes that
attach to hoses, etc. All of which waste water (unless you don't
attach the hose). Like you, I always go back to the basics. Wet down,
wash with car wash soap and towel (or brush), rinse, and dry with
chamois. I am still using a 10 year old chamois that is made by
Speedo, and used by swimmers to dry off after swimming competitions.
I still use the old Simonize paste car wax, which shine actually does
last a whole year.

Scott Packard

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:28:37 -0700, David wrote:

Scott, I'd never heard of that. I'll look into it. Do you
think it will affect the wax? Thanks.

I don't think it will. I'm adding it for the purpose of
softening the hard water here.
I find I have to wax with 3M automotive wax about every
3 or 4 months without adding the baking soda. I haven't
been using it long enough to know by experience if it
affects the wax. Mostly, I think my wax is rubbed off
during the weekly wash and dry anyway.

Another thing I like is the microfiber towels. They sell
them at Costco now. Use one to do the first pass when drying,
and a second one to follow right after the first one.
Ring the first one out when it leaves water behind.
I can dry two cars with just the two towels.
It used to take me about eight cotton bar towels.

Regards, Scott

Ron

I have bought all of the piece of **** "car wash" items over the yrs
trying to make the job easier...Bottom line...Hand wash your car (if you
care about it) hand dry with soft cloths or towels and hand wax.

Ok, to wax with a buffer if you know what you are doing.....orbitals are
the best....They are cheap at Sears, come in a bucket with carwash, wax,
and pads.

Wayne

David wrote in :

I picked up one today, filled it with the detergent and had
a mess on my hands (literally). The flimsy cover for the

We bought one and tried it this past weekend. We liked it!

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.

David

It didn't leak detergent from the reservoir? I looked at a
couple of them and can say that the lids wouldn't stay on
either. If you Google on the subject you'll see plenty of
other complaints along the same line.

David

Wayne wrote:

David wrote in :

I picked up one today, filled it with the detergent and had
a mess on my hands (literally). The flimsy cover for the

We bought one and tried it this past weekend. We liked it!

John

We bought two of them..One for us, loved it and bought one for my
mom..Neither one of them have the problem you mention..It doesn't replace
the action of washing the car, just the tedious job of drying..We have two
dark colored cars and they both come out perfect...Maybe yours was from a
bad batch? I too have tried a lot of those "gimmicky" washers in the past
and they all ended up in the trash but I think the Mr. Clean one is
good..Even though you have to replace the filter and use the soap they sell,
I find the soap works very well...
John

"David" wrote in message
It didn't leak detergent from the reservoir? I looked at a
couple of them and can say that the lids wouldn't stay on
either. If you Google on the subject you'll see plenty of
other complaints along the same line.

David

Wayne wrote:

David wrote in