Posted to alt.home.repair

Default price of steak

---=Part.0.75620ec3d14b3bac.1732d0b3f56.b9de1a650c746 a75=-

Maybe I've been spoiled by the prices at the local supermarket=2E Yesterday=
I bought two packages of three t-bones for $19 each package, and two packa=
ges of four New York cuts for $14 each package=2E These are big steaks, the=
color is good=2E

Anyway, to the point I'm trying to make=2E July 3rd when=
I was passing through a little town I finally decided to stop at a meat ma=
rket I see every time I pass through=2E They had a tiny display case, witho=
ut any t-bones, but had some rib eyes and New York cuts=2E Everything was i=
ndividually vacuum sealed and the color looked off, but I was going to get =
ten rib eyes anyway=2E The steaks were a little small=2E They had a price o=
f $17 dollars for each steak=2E I wasn't going to pay that for small off co=
lor steak=2E

Am I wrong to think $17 is too much for one small steak?

Li=
ke I said, maybe I'm spoiled by supermarket prices?

---=Part.0.75620ec3d14b3bac.1732d0b3f56.b9de1a650c746 a75=-

---=Part.0.75620ec3d14b3bac.1732d0b3f56.b9de1a650c746 a75=---
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 08 Jul 2020 01:09:38 -0500, "mysterious
traveler" wrote:

Maybe I've been spoiled by the prices at the local supermarket. Yesterday I bought two packages of three t-bones for $19 each package, and two packages of four New York cuts for $14 each package. These are big steaks, the color is good.

Anyway, to the point I'm trying to make. July 3rd when I was passing through a little town I finally decided to stop at a meat market I see every time I pass through. They had a tiny display case, without any t-bones, but had some rib eyes and New York cuts. Everything was individually vacuum sealed and the color looked off, but I was going to get ten rib eyes anyway. The steaks were a little small. They had a price of $17 dollars for each steak. I wasn't going to pay that for small off color steak.

Am I wrong to think $17 is too much for one small steak?

A fair price is whatever a willing customer will pay a willing cow. .

Like I said, maybe I'm spoiled by supermarket prices?

In Baltmore, the price for the same cut of mean can vary from 10 to 13
dollars per pound, maybe 15, depeinding on the supermarket. One chain
is always cheaper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/8/2020 2:09 AM, mysterious traveler wrote:
Maybe I've been spoiled by the prices at the local supermarket. Yesterday I bought two packages of three t-bones for $19 each package, and two packages of four New York cuts for $14 each package. These are big steaks, the color is good.

Anyway, to the point I'm trying to make. July 3rd when I was passing through a little town I finally decided to stop at a meat market I see every time I pass through. They had a tiny display case, without any t-bones, but had some rib eyes and New York cuts. Everything was individually vacuum sealed and the color looked off, but I was going to get ten rib eyes anyway. The steaks were a little small. They had a price of $17 dollars for each steak. I wasn't going to pay that for small off color steak.

Am I wrong to think $17 is too much for one small steak?

Like I said, maybe I'm spoiled by supermarket prices?

Supermarkets often carry the lower grades so unless you know the grade
you really can't compare prices. Same with color. Well aged beef tends
to be darker. Even the breed of the steer makes a difference.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

My wife does all the food shopping and shopping two different
supermarkets has complained about meat prices jumping up and down
between the two. I suspect most of the price disruption is due to the
virus shutting down restaurants and meat being shuttled elsewhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/08/2020 12:09 AM, mysterious traveler wrote:
Maybe I've been spoiled by the prices at the local supermarket. Yesterday I bought two packages of three t-bones for $19 each package, and two packages of four New York cuts for $14 each package. These are big steaks, the color is good.

Anyway, to the point I'm trying to make. July 3rd when I was passing through a little town I finally decided to stop at a meat market I see every time I pass through. They had a tiny display case, without any t-bones, but had some rib eyes and New York cuts. Everything was individually vacuum sealed and the color looked off, but I was going to get ten rib eyes anyway. The steaks were a little small. They had a price of $17 dollars for each steak. I wasn't going to pay that for small off color steak.

Am I wrong to think $17 is too much for one small steak?

Like I said, maybe I'm spoiled by supermarket prices?

Small towns may have excellent specialty meat markets but in general
they aren't a place to find bargains. The same goes for entire states
that are sparsely populated. When I traveled a lot I wished I had a way
to bring a lot of groceries back from major metropolitan areas like
Seattle, LA, or Phoenix.

It can be even more local. In the '80s there was a coffee shortage due
to a failed crop. I was in Fort Wayne and the shelves were almost bare
and the prices were doubled. On weekend I went down to Indianapolis and,
voila, no coffee shortage and normal prices.

Now, if you're talking about Walmart meat prices, I hope you like your
steak really, really juicy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe I've been spoiled by the prices at the local supermarket. Yesterday I bought two packages of three t-bones for $19 each package, and two packages of four New York cuts for $14 each package. These are big steaks, the color is good.

Anyway, to the point I'm trying to make. July 3rd when I was passing through a little town I finally decided to stop at a meat market I see every time I pass through. They had a tiny display case, without any t-bones, but had some rib eyes and New York cuts. Everything was individually vacuum sealed and the color looked off, but I was going to get ten rib eyes anyway. The steaks were a little small. They had a price of $17 dollars for each steak. I wasn't going to pay that for small off color steak.

Am I wrong to think $17 is too much for one small steak?

Like I said, maybe I'm spoiled by supermarket prices?

You were likely getting well aged steak at the little shop - much
more tender than the "pink" steak at your supermarket. A good steak is
almost purple.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

These days the best chance of getting an aged steak is to buy a big
chunk of meat and age it yourself. Just be prepared to throw away some
of the outside, you wouldn't even feed the dog.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Just don't buy Canada's madcow beef.

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/bse/case-...an-cattle.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Wed, 8 Jul 2020 07:56:27 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

Small towns may have excellent specialty meat markets

I envisage you as a small town endlessly gossiping washerwoman,
lowbrowwoman! BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Maybe I've been spoiled by the prices at the local supermarket.
Yesterday I bought two packages of three t-bones for $19 each
package, and two packages of four New York cuts for $14 each package.
These are big steaks, the color is good.

Anyway, to the point I'm trying to make. July 3rd when I was passing
through a little town I finally decided to stop at a meat market I
see every time I pass through. They had a tiny display case, without
any t-bones, but had some rib eyes and New York cuts. Everything was
individually vacuum sealed and the color looked off, but I was going
to get ten rib eyes anyway. The steaks were a little small. They had
a price of $17 dollars for each steak. I wasn't going to pay that for
small off color steak.

Am I wrong to think $17 is too much for one small steak?

Like I said, maybe I'm spoiled by supermarket prices?

Â* You were likely getting well aged steak at the little shop - much
more tender than the "pink" steak at your supermarket. A good steak is
almost purple.

Just don't buy Canada's madcow beef.

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/bse/case-...an-cattle.html

5 YO "news"?