Posted to alt.home.repair

Default motorcycle seat repair

The seam has started to separate about 6-7 inches on my 2002 Honda
Goldwing GL1800A. I took it to an upholstery shop yesterday and the
guy suggested I use Super Glue to repair it. He said it would cost
$100+ for him to remove the vinyl cover and sew it back together plus a
week or so. The seam separation was no more than a quarter inch so I
took his advice and glued the seam back together in small increments
then filled in the gaps with more glue.

Has anyone ever had such experiences and what did you do to fix it?
Did it last?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2020 8:49 AM, badgolferman wrote:
The seam has started to separate about 6-7 inches on my 2002 Honda
Goldwing GL1800A. I took it to an upholstery shop yesterday and the
guy suggested I use Super Glue to repair it. He said it would cost
$100+ for him to remove the vinyl cover and sew it back together plus a
week or so. The seam separation was no more than a quarter inch so I
took his advice and glued the seam back together in small increments
then filled in the gaps with more glue.

Has anyone ever had such experiences and what did you do to fix it?
Did it last?

If you plan to keep the bike, I'd do it the right way and remove the
leather to sew. The glue will eventually give in. If you don't want to
spend the money, you can actually do it yourself, but you'll need to
purchase heavy duty thread and staples to reattach the leather.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 16:18:20 -0400, Hawk wrote:

On 7/7/2020 8:49 AM, badgolferman wrote:
The seam has started to separate about 6-7 inches on my 2002 Honda
Goldwing GL1800A. I took it to an upholstery shop yesterday and the
guy suggested I use Super Glue to repair it. He said it would cost
$100+ for him to remove the vinyl cover and sew it back together plus a
week or so. The seam separation was no more than a quarter inch so I
took his advice and glued the seam back together in small increments
then filled in the gaps with more glue.

Has anyone ever had such experiences and what did you do to fix it?
Did it last?

If you plan to keep the bike, I'd do it the right way and remove the
leather to sew. The glue will eventually give in. If you don't want to
spend the money, you can actually do it yourself, but you'll need to
purchase heavy duty thread and staples to reattach the leather.

I'd definitely be trying to do it (right) myself. Remove the cover
then either find someone to properly restitch it or learn to do it
yourself. The upholstery guy would likely restitch it for you for
about $20 with it off the bike. If necessary you can glue a patch on
the back to strengthen the joint.
I have a leather shop for a customer so I could likely soft-talk one
of the guys into doing the stitching for me. Used to have another
customer with industrial sewing equipment - and 2 feirnds also have
the machines - one is pretty rough but works - the other is a nice
older machine that hasn't been used for several years - so don't know
if it is functional or not but I could borrow it if I could get it
running ...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2020 5:42 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

It's possible to use a regular sewing machine for leather sewing with a
leather needle or a heavy material needle. This is what I did with the
wife's sewing machine when I was modifying my helmet. Since the tear in
the seat is small, it won't require much.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2020 6:47 PM, Hawk wrote:
On 7/7/2020 5:42 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 16:18:20 -0400, Hawk wrote:

On 7/7/2020 8:49 AM, badgolferman wrote:
The seam has started to separate about 6-7 inches on my 2002 Honda
Goldwing GL1800A.Â* I took it to an upholstery shop yesterday and the
guy suggested I use Super Glue to repair it.Â* He said it would cost
$100+ for him to remove the vinyl cover and sew it back together plus a
week or so.Â* The seam separation was no more than a quarter inch so I
took his advice and glued the seam back together in small increments
then filled in the gaps with more glue.

Has anyone ever had such experiences and what did you do to fix it?
Did it last?

If you plan to keep the bike, I'd do it the right way and remove the
leather to sew. The glue will eventually give in. If you don't want to
spend the money, you can actually do it yourself, but you'll need to
purchase heavy duty thread and staples to reattach the leather.

Â* I'd definitely be trying to do it (right) myself. Remove the cover
then either find someone to properly restitch it or learn to do it
yourself. The upholstery guy would likely restitch it for you for
about $20 with it off the bike. If necessary you can glue a patch on
the back to strengthen the joint.
Â* I have a leather shop for a customer so I could likely soft-talk one
of the guys into doing the stitching for me. Used to have another
customer with industrial sewingÂ* equipment - and 2 feirnds also have
the machines - one is pretty rough but works - the other is a nice
older machine that hasn't been used for several years - so don't know
if it is functional or notÂ* but I could borrow it if I could get it
running ...

It's possible to use a regular sewing machine for leather sewing with a
leather needle or a heavy material needle. This is what I did with the
wife's sewing machine when I was modifying my helmet. Since the tear in
the seat is small, it won't require much.

I have a hand stitcher that sews a heavy thread through things like
leather. No glue will approach the strength of thread.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/07/2020 05:03 PM, Frank wrote:
On 7/7/2020 6:47 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

http://www.speedystitcher.com/#speed...ade-in-america

I've used one of these for years. My seamstress skills aren't that great
but stuff doesn't come apart either.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2020 6:47 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

leather.Â* No glue will approach the strength of thread.

http://www.speedystitcher.com/#speed...ade-in-america

I've used one of these for years. My seamstress skills aren't that great
but stuff doesn't come apart either.

I'm not so sure I'd call it "speedy" but it'll definitely do the trick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default lowbrowwoman, Birdbrain's eternal senile whore!

On Tue, 7 Jul 2020 20:17:13 -0600, lowbrowwoman, the endlessly driveling,

http://www.speedystitcher.com/#speed...ade-in-america

I've used one of these for years. My seamstress skills aren't that great
but stuff doesn't come apart either.

I bet your seamstress skills are perfect, you gossiping senile washerwoman!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2020 6:47 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

I have one sitting on my desk ... I use waxed nylon thread that I got
to sew carpet seams way back when I did flooring installs for a living .
I have another one but have no idea where it's gotten off to . Probably
put in a box somewhere "I wouldn't forget where I put it" .
--
Snag
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2020 6:47 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

I've got a spool of waxed thread I think I bought during the Reagan
administration. 30 yards fixes a lot of packs, belts, straps, and so forth.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 20:47:28 -0500, Snag posted for all of us to digest...

I have another one but have no idea where it's gotten off to . Probably
put in a box somewhere "I wouldn't forget where I put it" .

You have one of those too? My box should be the size of a living room but I
still can't find it...

--
Tekkie

leather seat repair? Bob M Home Repair 2 December 19th 08 01:11 AM
Motorcycle Repair & Owners Manuals Donna[_3_] Electronics Repair 0 October 12th 08 12:31 AM
repairing a motorcycle seat Matt Home Repair 6 August 13th 05 01:54 AM
Car and Motorcycle Battery Tips Bill Darden UK diy 4 July 15th 03 04:49 PM