DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/651470-splice-220-volt-6-gauge-line-outside-safe.html)

Stacey[_2_] July 5th 20 11:14 PM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

[email protected] July 6th 20 01:48 AM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:14:02 +0000, Stacey
m wrote:

Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

Let the contractor know that you will be
pointing it out to the Electrical Inspector -
.... along with all the other half-fix items ..
.. problem solved ?
ps : don't let that contractor into your home
ever again ..
John T.

trader_4 July 6th 20 02:06 AM

On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 6:14:05 PM UTC-4, Stacey wrote:
Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

I would be concerned too. Looks like they took a plastic junction box and
then hack mounted terminals into it? The problem is that the junction box
is only 1/8" or so thick and those screws that are energized must go right
through it into the wood. Energized metal isn't supposed to be sticking
out of a box and joined wires are not supposed to be uninsulated like
that unless they are part of an approved piece of gear, eg like a a
panel, switch or disconnect. Those terminals look like something used
for GROUNDS and screwed to metal.

Couple of ways this could be done, there are large wire nuts capable of #6.
Also there are other insulated connectors available. How did this happen?
Did they cut an underground cable? There are even direct burial splices
available. Any of those would be code compliant. Is this contractor
licensed to do this work?

Our resident code expert, Mr. Fretwell is the best expert on this,
I'm sure he'll be adding more.

micky July 6th 20 02:12 AM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:14:02 +0000, Stacey
m wrote:

Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

Is there no inside cover for the breaker box?

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] July 6th 20 02:19 AM

On 7/5/2020 6:14 PM, Stacey wrote:
Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor
lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box.Â* This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine.
Is all
this safe?Â* Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

The first box is the box with splice? Looks done right. Closed, kids
should not be playing in it. Nothing is going to spill out of it.

Dean Hoffman[_12_] July 6th 20 03:49 AM

m wrote:

Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

Is there no inside cover for the breaker box?

It would be safer if the terminal lugs weren't attached to the
building through the box. Let them float in the box and tape them up.
The ground wire just twisted together would be better in some sort of
crimp connector.
There is something called a terminal box. That should have been used
to splice the wiring. It wouldn't necessarily be kid safe though.

dpb[_3_] July 6th 20 04:03 AM

On 7/5/2020 5:14 PM, Stacey wrote:
Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor
lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box.Â* This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine.
Is all
this safe?Â* Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

As trader says, that's a cobbled-up job -- the mounting screws through
the box outside into the mounting board taht looks like it'll be wet
often enough and won't last indefinitely is definite no-no.

Box isn't outside rated, either I'm guessing.

Where is this located -- if it were buried, also as other said there are
splices for the purpose but if it were mine, unless you didn't call 811
and told him there wasn't anything where he was digging, if it were mine
I'd expect a "as new" repair/replacement, not a patch.

He screwed up, it's his nickel to make it whole again and this ain't
whole by any stretch. It works, but it's definitely not legit.

Dry, it's reasonably safe as temporary patch; wet it's a definite hazard.

Clare Snyder July 6th 20 04:06 AM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

m wrote:

[...]

Correct, the terminals being screwed to the wood is DEFINITELY a
NO-NO. If they are screwed to the box, and the box is insulated from
the building, it might be OK. It will trip the required GFCI the way
it is (if the GFCI is installed)

[email protected] July 6th 20 04:13 AM

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 21:19:57 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/5/2020 6:14 PM, Stacey wrote:
Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor
lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box.Â* This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine.
Is all
this safe?Â* Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

The first box is the box with splice? Looks done right. Closed, kids
should not be playing in it. Nothing is going to spill out of it.

Violations?
Let me count the ways.

1. Ground lugs are not listed for splices

2. Those lugs are not listed for more than one conductor.

3. The ground twisted together is not a listed splice.

4. There are no lock nuts on the RNC connectors. Threading the box
does not make it a hub.

This is an easy fix. Just go buy 3 Polaris style insulated 2 hole
splices for 6 gauge wire and get rid of those lugs. (the generic ones
are a lot cheaper than Polaris)
I might even tolerate two of those lugs bolted together to splice the
ground but I would rather see a split bolt or some listed splicing
method.
While you have those wires lose, screw on some lock nuts.

The good news is that is a 15 minute fix and not very expensive.

[email protected] July 6th 20 04:32 AM

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 22:03:00 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

The box is fine. It is a NEMA 3R rated junction box. (rain tight)
I already addressed the splices

Dean Hoffman[_12_] July 6th 20 11:34 AM

On 7/5/20 10:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

Doesn't running those screws through the back of the box ruin the
weathertight rating?
What about putting the conduit in the side instead of the bottom?
If the picture is oriented correctly.

[email protected] July 6th 20 05:56 PM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 05:34:32 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 7/5/20 10:13 PM, wrote:
[...]

"3R" is not water tight, it is only "rain tight". If you want to clean
up that box, shoot screws in those holes. It is not uncommon to see
installers actually drill holes in the bottom of boxes to let them
drain when water gets inside. (not "if"). There is a reason they call
these "wet locations".
I assumed the picture was sideways. You are right, drilled holes and
lock nut connections should only be on the bottom but I assume the
installer would argue, he tapped the box so it should seal. It still
needs lock nuts. There is not enough thread engagement to be
considered a hub.

TimR[_2_] July 6th 20 07:26 PM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

The wiring in that other panel looks really sloppy to my eyes.

I don't know code but usually when an inspector sees something that looks like that he keeps looking until he finds something. And conversely when everything looks neat and tidy they figure there's nothing to look for.

dpb[_3_] July 6th 20 07:32 PM

On 7/5/2020 10:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

Just wasn't sure whether was/wasn't from looking...as said, that was a
guess.

I notice this time it's got mounting ears--may have used the one on the
top that is hidden, the bottom one is hanging in air.

So, the assumption the lug mounting screws are also all that's holding
the box to the fence slat is possibly wrong, altho one screw on one side
isn't enough, either.

I'm still wondering where those two conduits came from/go to...inside
this box is NOT where the feed was cut I'm sure...what was done where
that occurred to get the pieces to this point to make the
connection/splices?

trader_4 July 6th 20 08:13 PM

On Monday, July 6, 2020 at 2:32:40 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 7/5/2020 10:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's what I was wondering too, which is why I asked if it was underground
and cut off. The only way I can think of this coming about was if the
existing wiring was cut there where the new box was, the piece from there to the
panel shown wasn't very long, so they replaced that piece with a new longer
piece to work into the splice box. Otherwise when you cut anything in the
middle, you typically wind up needing two splice boxes and a piece of new wiring
between the two. Actually, now that I think about it, I guess you may wind
up with two splices on each wire even if it's an underground fix, unless the
cut is really nice, with no damage to the wires. I'd think most times you're
going to screw the wire and even if it's just an inch of cable lost, you're
still going to have two splices per wire and new wire.

dpb[_3_] July 6th 20 10:25 PM

On 7/6/2020 2:13 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Got lucky years ago after being unlucky! What would be the odds of
hitting the well power feed running across country from the old well
house that has the pressure tank, etc., to the new well location w/
posthole digger for fence around new garden area? A half-inch wide
Romex wire ~2-ft deep in a 100-yd stretch for the one post?

Of course, hit it dead on. Didn't know it at the time; wasn't 'til
SWMBO complained the water quit that realized it. Fortunately, that
wasn't long and days were warm and long so had plenty of time to dig it
back up and repair.

Amazingly enough, did almost as clean a cut as a set of cutters and Dad
had laid the cable loosely-enough in the trench we had plenty of length
to just use the gel-filled compression fittings for repair. It's been
probably 15 years now, since...

Still amazed in managing to pick precisely that point to put the
post...the wire just heads off diagonally from wherever precisely it
runs from the pumphouse to miss the other fence and head towards the
pole the controller is mounted on by the well...it's all just big open
area; could have run the wire anywhere within 20-ft either way and could
have put the post almost anywhere +/- 2-ft of where chose.

dpb[_3_] July 6th 20 10:26 PM

[...]

And, of course, as is typical, OP hasn't deigned to respond so likely
will never know...

[email protected] July 7th 20 12:38 AM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 11:26:05 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

The wiring in that other panel looks really sloppy to my eyes.

I don't know code but usually when an inspector sees something that looks like that he keeps looking until he finds something. And conversely when everything looks neat and tidy they figure there's nothing to look for.

The first rule of inspecting is limit yourself to the scope of the
open permit. It makes your life easier. ;-)

Looking at that panel my main question is about how they grounded the
can. They should have extended the 8ga from the feeder to the can, not
2 #12s from god knows where. (also the 2 wires under a lug listed for
1) If there is not an 8ga path the can is not properly grounded. I
would also look to be sure there is a clip on the in feed breaker.
Using wire nuts in lieu of a ground bus is bad workmanship but not
illegal. It does seem to reflect the "what I had on the truck" style
in the other box.

[email protected] July 7th 20 12:44 AM

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 13:32:32 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/5/2020 10:32 PM, wrote:
[...]

Typically gray is wet rated and blue (white, brown and whatever) is
not.

I notice this time it's got mounting ears--may have used the one on the
top that is hidden, the bottom one is hanging in air.

So, the assumption the lug mounting screws are also all that's holding
the box to the fence slat is possibly wrong, altho one screw on one side
isn't enough, either.

I agree there may not be a lot of support but if it doesn't wiggle
when you grab in, it usually passes.

I'm still wondering where those two conduits came from/go to...inside
this box is NOT where the feed was cut I'm sure...what was done where
that occurred to get the pieces to this point to make the
connection/splices?

They may have pulled up the existing cut cable, mounted the box
wherever that was easy to land the end and ran new wire the rest of
the way.

dpb[_3_] July 7th 20 04:17 AM

On 7/6/2020 6:44 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 13:32:32 -0500, dpb wrote:

....snip...

I'm still wondering where those two conduits came from/go to...inside
this box is NOT where the feed was cut I'm sure...what was done where
that occurred to get the pieces to this point to make the
connection/splices?

They may have pulled up the existing cut cable, mounted the box
wherever that was easy to land the end and ran new wire the rest of
the way.

They _may_ indeed, but if a frog had wings, too... :)

[email protected] July 7th 20 06:06 AM

On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 22:17:22 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 7/6/2020 6:44 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 13:32:32 -0500, dpb wrote:

...snip...

I'm still wondering where those two conduits came from/go to...inside
this box is NOT where the feed was cut I'm sure...what was done where
that occurred to get the pieces to this point to make the
connection/splices?

They may have pulled up the existing cut cable, mounted the box
wherever that was easy to land the end and ran new wire the rest of
the way.

They _may_ indeed, but if a frog had wings, too... :)

The OP said
Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box.

Then he posted a picture of the box. I am not sure how else you read
that.

dpb[_3_] July 7th 20 01:19 PM

wrote:
[...]

Exactly as written -- but what he didn't show is where the cut was or
say anything at all about what the original route was...all we see is
the junction and the two panels.

He MAY have done what you say, there's no way to know.

I'm just curious is that is what was actually done or not.

[email protected] July 7th 20 06:15 PM

m wrote:

Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

Ask for the contractor's insurer phone#, remember the guy's name and the date of the work done and hope for the best.

[email protected] July 7th 20 11:55 PM

om wrote:

Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

Ask for the contractor's insurer phone#, remember the guy's name and the date of the work done and hope for the best.

The real question is whether this "contractor" actually is one
(licensed and insured) and if he had permits for the work he was
doing. If you hired an unlicensed handyman and you did not get
permits, it is pretty hard to get the municipality interested in
sending an inspector out there unless you want to be liable for the
fines and fees.

Mark[_56_] July 8th 20 01:06 AM

On Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 5:14:05 PM UTC-5, Stacey wrote:
Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

If those screws screws are coming out of the box ( in wood or not ) I would lose the clamps and use large wire nuts or better yet split bolts also maybe put some lock nuts on the pipes

trader_4 July 8th 20 01:56 PM

om wrote:

Our contractor accidentally cut the 220 volt 6 gauge line that ran from our
main electrical box to a panel that operates our spa and outdoor lighting. His
fix was to splice the lines in a junction box. This is all outside and the
junction box is mounted on the side of a wood pergola hidden by a vine. Is all
this safe? Children play in this area daily
Picture of inside the junction box included , main house panel, and the spa
panel the cut line runs to
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nc
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/nd
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/ne

Ask for the contractor's insurer phone#, remember the guy's name and the date of the work done and hope for the best.

The real question is whether this "contractor" actually is one
(licensed and insured) and if he had permits for the work he was
doing.

He may have been licensed and had permits for the work he started out to do,
but seeing what we saw, I'd put money on that he's not licensed to do
electrical work.

If you hired an unlicensed handyman and you did not get
permits, it is pretty hard to get the municipality interested in
sending an inspector out there unless you want to be liable for the
fines and fees.

Best thing to do to fix this is give the contractor a choice. Either he
gets a licensed electrician in to straighten it out or you will, at his
expense.

[email protected] July 9th 20 01:26 AM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

om wrote:

[...]

The fix for that box is about $15 in parts and 15 minutes.

trader_4 July 9th 20 02:33 AM

om wrote:

[...]

Which doesn't have anything to do with the two choices, from what I see.

[email protected] July 9th 20 05:15 AM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

om wrote:

[...]

Explain.
If he makes the splices compliant and puts some locknuts on the
conduits it should pass any inspection. The same guy who made up the
box in the first place could make it up right faster than arguing
about it. I have seen plenty of licensed electricians who would need a
tune up about why that box failed. That is far from a panacea.
I even know inspectors who might say "no problem" with what he has.

trader_4 July 9th 20 01:27 PM

om wrote:

[...]

What inspection? You said previously that unless a permit is pulled,
there is no inspection. It's unlikely that this hack pulled an electrical
permit. And when someone shows they are incompetent to do something,
as this contractor demonstrated, then why should a homeowner who doesn't
know what's right or wrong allow them to fix it? If you hit my car and
damage it, I don't have to allow you to fix it. Here the contractor did
have a chance to fix it, they botched it with serious safety violations.
To follow the car analogy, that's like having you hit my car, allowing
you to try to fix it, finding serious safety problems that shows total
incompetence and then allowing you to continue? No thank you, I want
a professional, And IDK about FL, but unless that contractor
was a licensed electrician, which given what we saw is extemely
unlikely, doing that work here and in many other states
is illegal. So he can't go get a permit and inspection anyway.

The same guy who made up the
box in the first place could make it up right faster than arguing
about it.

Wow, that's stunning. How exactly is he going to make it up right,
when clearly it's all wrong, he didn't know how to do it right?
What do you suggest the homeowner do?
Tell him to read this thread and then carry on? Wow.

I have seen plenty of licensed electricians who would need a
tune up about why that box failed. That is far from a panacea.
I even know inspectors who might say "no problem" with what he has.

IDK what goes on down in FL, it's obviously a pretty weird place, but
around here from my experience with inspectors, no way in hell that
thing would pass.

Ralph Mowery July 9th 20 03:25 PM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

In article ,
says...

Explain.
If he makes the splices compliant and puts some locknuts on the
conduits it should pass any inspection. The same guy who made up the
box in the first place could make it up right faster than arguing
about it. I have seen plenty of licensed electricians who would need a
tune up about why that box failed. That is far from a panacea.
I even know inspectors who might say "no problem" with what he has.

Would you think it would have been ok to use something like split bolts
or equivilent and covering them with something like that rubber tape you
were giving away and maybe a layer or two of Scotch 33. Then burrying
the wire.

[email protected] July 9th 20 06:58 PM

Splice 220 volt 6 gauge line outside- is it safe?

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:25:32 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Explain.
If he makes the splices compliant and puts some locknuts on the
conduits it should pass any inspection. The same guy who made up the
box in the first place could make it up right faster than arguing
about it. I have seen plenty of licensed electricians who would need a
tune up about why that box failed. That is far from a panacea.
I even know inspectors who might say "no problem" with what he has.

Would you think it would have been ok to use something like split bolts
or equivilent and covering them with something like that rubber tape you
were giving away and maybe a layer or two of Scotch 33. Then burrying
the wire.

You were OK until you said "bury". That tape is not a listed direct
burial method. There are direct burial splices tho, crimped and full
of silicone. Most people do not have the required crimping tool tho.
This isn't a "squeeze it with pliers" thing.

The method the OP's guy used is OK, he just needs better splices.

The practical part of me says it will "work" forever the way it is, it
is just not legal. If I did nothing else, I would screw a red wirenut
down on those twisted #10 grounds.

trader_4 July 9th 20 07:46 PM

wrote:

[...]

You're not that concerned about metal screws through energized terminals
going through the box and into a wood fence?