Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this mask effective?

The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2020 7:26 PM, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

The valves make them useless for protecting others, so they offer little
aid in reducing spreading.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:25:10 -0700, Bob F wrote:

[...]

Agree.
But if a bandana is considered acceptable " to protect others " ...
these sports masks wouldn't be any worse.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
[...]

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed.
So maybe slightly better.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-28 19:26, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

Hi Micky,

You did not happen to come across this same filter without
the valve hole?

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Bob F formulated :
[...]

I read that they are not even recommended as PPE if they have the
exhaust vent. I supposed they do get used for some as PPE to avoid
excessive fogging of face shields or goggles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

T used his or her keyboard to write :
On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
[...]

I very much doubt that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:25:10 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 6/28/2020 7:26 PM, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas
stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says.Â* "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment:Â*Â* they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust
some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right?Â* It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

The valves make them useless for protecting others, so they offer
little
aid in reducing spreading.

Agree.
But if a bandana is consideredÂ* acceptableÂ* " to protect others "Â* ...
theseÂ* sports masksÂ* wouldn't be any worse.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed.
So maybe slightly better.

I very much doubt that.

Only stands to reason. What does not get through the mask
on it own, builds up on the mask. Then when you cough or
sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the
mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets
blown all over everyone else. So the exhaust hole does
help the build up issue

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 10:33:44 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...
But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

The valves make them useless for protecting others, so they offer little
aid in reducing spreading.

Most masks are almost worthless. The n95 masks are made to work in a
contanimated area. They are to keep things out of you and not what you
breath out. The virus particals are too small to be filtered going into
you.
The home made cloth masks soon fill up with the moisture and then become
ineffective.
There was a very good write up on this that was published on Facebook.
They are mostly like many of the feel good things. Like most of the gun
and drug laws. Many are on the books, but it is very easy to get the
illegal drugs and guns are easy to come by illegally.

Concentrating on all the trivial aspects of wearing masks -
- is missing the point !

I strongly encourage everyone to go to a reliable health-department's
web site and thoroughly _read_ all the good information there.
It is not just about the masks ... it's about staying home when you
are symptomatic ; hand washing ; distancing ; etc.

Government medical advice HAS changed over the months -
read & re-read the most recent - rather than ignore everything
because you can't accept the new reality.

Spreading half-truths and garbage science does not help.

Here's just one example of some government advice Canada
but everyone should probably go to your local / state information
and do some serious reading.

https://tinyurl.com/ycc5mx58

If there is a single-most-important factor in explaining
how the USA has done more poorly than it's peers -
it would be the partisan messaging from the leaders.
exacerbated by the partisan media
In Canada, we saw the liberal Prime Minister and
conservative Provincial leaders stand united -
- and they were even heard to thank each other for shared
initiatives ! ... everyone realizing that this is not the time
for partisan politics.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2020 1:41 AM, wrote:
[...]

That is highly unlikely.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2020 3:42 AM, FromTheRafters wrote:
[...]

They are high performance DUST masks. Nothing more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2020 10:26 PM, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

Masks with valves protects others from the wearer but apparently doesn't
protect the wearer from others.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90496717...s-banning-them
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:45:48 -0400, Hawk wrote:

[...]

.. exactly ... wrong. :-)
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hawk expressed precisely :
[...]

It figures that you would get it exactly beackwards.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2020 9:30 AM, Bob F wrote:
[...]

I did see a lot of coverage showing these masks in the ER on occasion.
It could be the Doctors taped off the valve to disable it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:52 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 04:52:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

04:52??? Are the birds chirping already in Australia, you clinically insane
86-year-old trolling senile pest from Oz?

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Bicycle masks appear to be designed to protect wearer from breathing in
crap but make breathing out easier. Means to me that they are less safe
to those around them as we are told masks are most effective to keep
wearers virus in.

Reminds me of the time a Harvard professor on the surgeon generals
committee that condemned smoking for causing lung cancer told me that he
smoked Larks for protection of the charcoal filter. He later developed
lung cancer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
[...]

Only stands to reason.Â* What does not get through the mask
on it own, builds up on the mask.Â* Then when you cough or
sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the
mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets
blown all over everyone else.Â* So the exhaust hole does
help the build up issue

Wrong again.

Translation: you don't have an argument to present.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
wrote:

[...]

Better no argument than idiocy like yours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T was thinking very hard :
T explained :
On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
[...]

Already presented, and already ignored by you.

What makes you think that *everything* on there gets *everyone* else
and that not perfect means not worth even trying?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob F explained :
On 6/29/2020 9:30 AM, Bob F wrote:
[...]

Those masks are not to protect others as much as they are to protect
the wearer. Early on I read that even the PPE masks with exhaler ports
are not recommended for this application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/29/2020 2:31 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Hawk expressed precisely :
[...]

Yep, switch it the other way.

"if you have a mask with a valve, you are protecting yourself as well as
you would be if you wore a mask without a valve. Theres no difference
in personal protection according to anything published in the CDC or
elsewhere. But if you have a mask with a valve, youre not really
protecting those around you, which is at least half of the point of
wearing a cotton mask in the first place.:
Posted to alt.home.repair

T was thinking very hard :
T explained :
wrote:

[...]

As I do believe you pointed out, maybe someone else, there
is a certain threshold necessary to infect you. If the
mask does not protect to that point, then they are useless.

And when useless, the constant scratching and readjusting
puts the wearer at more risk. Transfer by hand contact
is a YUGE transmission vector. And the cluster bombing
of everyone else is not appreciated. But they do give
you a false sense of self righteousness.

And as I have pointed out before, the vast majority of
fatalities are nursing homes. You know, the places where
folks at the greatest risk live. And the place were
the Democrat Butcher of New York forced folks to
take people infected with the commie flu. But since
he is a Democrat and protected by American Pravda,
you don't care. Lets all wear useless masks.

And as you put it, "not even worth trying?" A lot of
damned good face masks did to protect those people
that Cuomo sentenced to death.

Here is an idea. If you are sick, STAY HOME!

Here is another idea, PROTECT THOSE AT RISK.
DON'T PUT INFECTED PEOPLE IN NURSING HOMES.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
wrote:

[...]

Translation: name calling means no argument to present.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-29 15:18, Hawk wrote:

Yep,Â*switchÂ*itÂ*theÂ*otherÂ*way.

"if you have a mask with a valve, you are protecting yourself as well as
you would be if you wore a mask without a valve. Theres no difference
in personal protection according to anything published in the CDC or
elsewhere. But if you have a mask with a valve, youre not really
protecting those around you, which is at least half of the point of
wearingÂ*aÂ*cottonÂ*maskÂ*inÂ*theÂ*firstÂ*place.:

Hi Hawk,

Suspending the fact that these masks do not protect
against viruses for a moment, there is a brief period
of time when the value is open before it shuts that
air gets back in. I would not risk that in a lethal
NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) environment.

Have you found it a little hypercritical that these
Lefties only care about wearing an annoyance that is
for show only and DO NOT care about those who are
actually at risk? Cuomo is killing a lot of folks
in nursing homes (ya, masks really work) by forcing them
to take infected people. But the Lefties don't care.

If I were to speculate, and I know this is a mean
thing to say, but it occurs to me that the Lefties
finally got their beloved Death Panels.

Folks in the last stages of their lives (nursing
home occupants) are the most expensive on the system.
This way they get to kill a bunch of them off to
lower their cost and then blame the whole thing
on Trump. They blame everything else they do on Trump,
so what is one more thing.

And considering how viscous they are about killing
children (abortion), they are just that cold blooded.

Now lets all be self righteous and wear masks that
don't work thereby demonstrating our Gleichschaltung.

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
wrote:

[...]

It is right out out Rules for Radicals. Mock,
do not engage in debate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
wrote:

[...]

" ...
theseÂ* sports masksÂ* wouldn't be any worse.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed.
So maybe slightly better.

I very much doubt that.

Only stands to reason.Â* What does not get through the mask
on it own, builds up on the mask.Â* Then when you cough or
sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the
mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets
blown all over everyone else.Â* So the exhaust hole does
help the build up issue

Wrong again.

Translation: you don't have an argument to present.

Better no argument than idiocy like yours.

Translation: name calling means no argument to present.

LOL!

Posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
wrote:

[...]

Translation: name calling and mocking means no
argument to present.

Posted to alt.home.repair

T was thinking very hard :
T explained :
wrote:

[...]

Erroneous conclusion. The probability of picking up the virus particles
increases as the amount of contamination increases.

If it only took a single particle for an infective dose every time,
*then* they would be *almost* useless. They would still protect a
little but might not be worth the effort.

And when useless, the constant scratching and readjusting
puts the wearer at more risk. Transfer by hand contact
is a YUGE transmission vector. And the cluster bombing
of everyone else is not appreciated. But they do give
you a false sense of self righteousness.

The 'self righteousness' idea is just a stupid idea to shame people
into doing something stupid like not wearing masks.

And as I have pointed out before, the vast majority of
fatalities are nursing homes. You know, the places where
folks at the greatest risk live. And the place were
the Democrat Butcher of New York forced folks to
take people infected with the commie flu.

More deflection.

But since
he is a Democrat and protected by American Pravda,
you don't care. Lets all wear useless masks.

Your hatred is clouding your vision.

And as you put it, "not even worth trying?" A lot of
damned good face masks did to protect those people
that Cuomo sentenced to death.

More deflection, can't you do any better than that?

Here is an idea. If you are sick, STAY HOME!

Stay home anyway, you might not know that you are sick. Help to protect
your fellow man.

Here is another idea, PROTECT THOSE AT RISK.
DON'T PUT INFECTED PEOPLE IN NURSING HOMES.

Deflection again.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hawk submitted this idea :
[...]

Yes, maybe even better depending on materials used, but you can spread
particles more easily when you exhale if you are shedding.

Theres no difference in
personal protection according to anything published in the CDC or elsewhere.
But if you have a mask with a valve, youre not really protecting those
around you, which is at least half of the point of wearing a cotton mask in
the first place.:

Yes, I agree, in part. Almost the whole point of the cotton or homemade
masks is to protect others by reducing contamination of the common area
environments when one has to be out there. Protecting yourself with
that type of mask is only slightly effective, its worth is in
protecting others.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 28 Jun 2020 22:26:59 -0400, micky
wrote:

The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment:some purchaser had made: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while

The answer you all gave was Yes.

using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to

I've seen the term bicycle mask before, masks with one-way valves going
out. . These must be totally unrelated to the virus, invented
earlier, for people with serious hay fever, etc , and yet because they
are "masks" sales have increased.

protect the other people.

Well thanks to all of you for the many answers.

It's been 7 days since I was there and I'm not sick yet, so it was
probably okay, but next time, instead of going at 5, I'll go at 6:15,
check if the DIY scanners are running, go nap in the car if they're not,

Maybe I'll take the store's phone number. When the store opened at 6, I
did call and he said he'd ge the machines on by :6:30 instead of 7:30,
but soon after they started opening at 5.

This means I won't be able to see my beloved cashier anymore, except at
a distance. She was amiable and liked to talk and I was convinced that
no matter how much the mask covered, she was cute underneath.

Actually, the biggest reason she and her crummy mask didn't make me sick
is mostly likey that she's not sick. That's true about everyone we
meet. But clearly, some people are sick. It's that period where people
are contagious but don't yet know they're sick that is where the biggest
danger lies. (The second biggest is the people with symptoms who go out
in public anyhow.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've seen several statements by experts that people tend to be most
contagious for a day or 2 BEFORE they get symptoms.

Whats the most cost effective AND time effective way to sell onunwanted tools and DiY materials......? Stephen[_22_] UK diy 21 September 10th 19 09:32 AM
causes of TV shadow mask damage CW Electronics Repair 7 August 24th 04 12:47 AM
Does The 3M Woodworking Dusk Mask Irritate Your Throat? x071907 Home Repair 2 April 4th 04 06:35 PM
Half mask filters CandT UK diy 0 February 16th 04 11:25 AM
Where to find dust mask? SteveB Home Repair 13 January 30th 04 04:06 AM