Old June 29th 20, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this mask effective?

The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

Old June 29th 20, 05:25 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/28/2020 7:26 PM, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

The valves make them useless for protecting others, so they offer little
aid in reducing spreading.
Old June 29th 20, 09:41 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:25:10 -0700, Bob F wrote:

[...]

Agree.
But if a bandana is considered acceptable " to protect others " ...
these sports masks wouldn't be any worse.
John T.

Old June 29th 20, 11:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
[...]

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed.
So maybe slightly better.
Old June 29th 20, 11:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-28 19:26, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

Hi Micky,

You did not happen to come across this same filter without
the valve hole?

-T

Old June 29th 20, 11:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

It happens that Bob F formulated :
[...]

I read that they are not even recommended as PPE if they have the
exhaust vent. I supposed they do get used for some as PPE to avoid
excessive fogging of face shields or goggles.
Old June 29th 20, 11:43 AM posted to alt.home.repair

T used his or her keyboard to write :
On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
[...]

I very much doubt that.
Old June 29th 20, 01:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
[...]

Only stands to reason. What does not get through the mask
on it own, builds up on the mask. Then when you cough or
sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the
mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets
blown all over everyone else. So the exhaust hole does
help the build up issue

Old June 29th 20, 04:24 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 10:33:44 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...
But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

The valves make them useless for protecting others, so they offer little
aid in reducing spreading.

Most masks are almost worthless. The n95 masks are made to work in a
contanimated area. They are to keep things out of you and not what you
breath out. The virus particals are too small to be filtered going into
you.
The home made cloth masks soon fill up with the moisture and then become
ineffective.
There was a very good write up on this that was published on Facebook.
They are mostly like many of the feel good things. Like most of the gun
and drug laws. Many are on the books, but it is very easy to get the
illegal drugs and guns are easy to come by illegally.

Concentrating on all the trivial aspects of wearing masks -
- is missing the point !

I strongly encourage everyone to go to a reliable health-department's
web site and thoroughly _read_ all the good information there.
It is not just about the masks ... it's about staying home when you
are symptomatic ; hand washing ; distancing ; etc.

Government medical advice HAS changed over the months -
read & re-read the most recent - rather than ignore everything
because you can't accept the new reality.

Spreading half-truths and garbage science does not help.

Here's just one example of some government advice Canada
but everyone should probably go to your local / state information
and do some serious reading.

https://tinyurl.com/ycc5mx58

If there is a single-most-important factor in explaining
how the USA has done more poorly than it's peers -
it would be the partisan messaging from the leaders.
exacerbated by the partisan media
In Canada, we saw the liberal Prime Minister and
conservative Provincial leaders stand united -
- and they were even heard to thank each other for shared
initiatives ! ... everyone realizing that this is not the time
for partisan politics.
John T.

Whats the most cost effective AND time effective way to sell onunwanted tools and DiY materials......? Stephen[_22_] UK diy 21 September 10th 19 09:32 AM
causes of TV shadow mask damage CW Electronics Repair 7 August 24th 04 12:47 AM
Does The 3M Woodworking Dusk Mask Irritate Your Throat? x071907 Home Repair 2 April 4th 04 06:35 PM
Half mask filters CandT UK diy 0 February 16th 04 11:25 AM
Where to find dust mask? SteveB Home Repair 13 January 30th 04 04:06 AM