Old June 30th 20, 12:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is this mask effective?

On 2020-06-29 15:18, Hawk wrote:

Yep,¬*switch¬*it¬*the¬*other¬*way.

"if you have a mask with a valve, you are protecting yourself as well as
you would be if you wore a mask without a valve. There’s no difference
in personal protection according to anything published in the CDC or
elsewhere. But if you have a mask with a valve, you’re not really
protecting those around you, which is at least half of the point of
wearing¬*a¬*cotton¬*mask¬*in¬*the¬*first¬*place.:

Hi Hawk,

Suspending the fact that these masks do not protect
against viruses for a moment, there is a brief period
of time when the value is open before it shuts that
air gets back in. I would not risk that in a lethal
NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) environment.

Have you found it a little hypercritical that these
Lefties only care about wearing an annoyance that is
for show only and DO NOT care about those who are
actually at risk? Cuomo is killing a lot of folks
in nursing homes (ya, masks really work) by forcing them
to take infected people. But the Lefties don't care.

If I were to speculate, and I know this is a mean
thing to say, but it occurs to me that the Lefties
finally got their beloved Death Panels.

Folks in the last stages of their lives (nursing
home occupants) are the most expensive on the system.
This way they get to kill a bunch of them off to
lower their cost and then blame the whole thing
on Trump. They blame everything else they do on Trump,
so what is one more thing.

And considering how viscous they are about killing
children (abortion), they are just that cold blooded.

Now lets all be self righteous and wear masks that
don't work thereby demonstrating our Gleichschaltung.

-T

Old June 30th 20, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
T used his or her keyboard to write :
On 2020-06-29 01:41, wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 21:25:10 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 6/28/2020 7:26 PM, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says.¬* "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment:¬*¬* they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right?¬* It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

The valves make them useless for protecting others, so they offer little
aid in reducing spreading.

Agree.
But if a bandana is considered¬* acceptable¬* " to protect others "¬* ...
these¬* sports masks¬* wouldn't be any worse.
¬*¬*¬* John T.

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed.
So maybe slightly better.

I very much doubt that.

Only stands to reason.¬* What does not get through the mask
on it own, builds up on the mask.¬* Then when you cough or
sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the
mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets
blown all over everyone else.¬* So the exhaust hole does
help the build up issue

Wrong again.

Translation: you don't have an argument to present.

ROFLMAO!¬* So true!

Old June 30th 20, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
wrote:

[...]

"¬* ...
these¬* sports masks¬* wouldn't be any worse.
¬*¬*¬* John T.

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed.
So maybe slightly better.

I very much doubt that.

Only stands to reason.¬* What does not get through the mask
on it own, builds up on the mask.¬* Then when you cough or
sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the
mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets
blown all over everyone else.¬* So the exhaust hole does
help the build up issue

Wrong again.

Translation: you don't have an argument to present.

ROFLMAO!¬* So true!

It is right out out Rules for Radicals. Mock,
do not engage in debate.

Old June 30th 20, 04:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
wrote:

[...]

" ...
these¬* sports masks¬* wouldn't be any worse.
¬*¬*¬* John T.

You would not cluster bomb others when you coughed.
So maybe slightly better.

I very much doubt that.

Only stands to reason.¬* What does not get through the mask
on it own, builds up on the mask.¬* Then when you cough or
sneeze, you blow what you would have blown out without the
mask plus everything that has built up on the mask gets
blown all over everyone else.¬* So the exhaust hole does
help the build up issue

Wrong again.

Translation: you don't have an argument to present.

Better no argument than idiocy like yours.

Translation: name calling means no argument to present.

LOL!

Old June 30th 20, 06:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair

T explained :
wrote:

[...]

Translation: name calling and mocking means no
argument to present.

Old June 30th 20, 09:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

T was thinking very hard :
T explained :
wrote:

[...]

Already presented, and already ignored by you.

What makes you think that *everything* on there gets *everyone* else and
that not perfect means not worth even trying?

As I do believe you pointed out, maybe someone else, there
is a certain threshold necessary to infect you.

If the mask does not protect to that point, then they are useless.

Erroneous conclusion. The probability of picking up the virus particles
increases as the amount of contamination increases.

If it only took a single particle for an infective dose every time,
*then* they would be *almost* useless. They would still protect a
little but might not be worth the effort.

And when useless, the constant scratching and readjusting
puts the wearer at more risk. Transfer by hand contact
is a YUGE transmission vector. And the cluster bombing
of everyone else is not appreciated. But they do give
you a false sense of self righteousness.

The 'self righteousness' idea is just a stupid idea to shame people
into doing something stupid like not wearing masks.

And as I have pointed out before, the vast majority of
fatalities are nursing homes. You know, the places where
folks at the greatest risk live. And the place were
the Democrat Butcher of New York forced folks to
take people infected with the commie flu.

More deflection.

But since
he is a Democrat and protected by American Pravda,
you don't care. Lets all wear useless masks.

Your hatred is clouding your vision.

And as you put it, "not even worth trying?" A lot of
damned good face masks did to protect those people
that Cuomo sentenced to death.

More deflection, can't you do any better than that?

Here is an idea. If you are sick, STAY HOME!

Stay home anyway, you might not know that you are sick. Help to protect
your fellow man.

Here is another idea, PROTECT THOSE AT RISK.
DON'T PUT INFECTED PEOPLE IN NURSING HOMES.

Deflection again.
Old June 30th 20, 09:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Hawk submitted this idea :
On 6/29/2020 2:31 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
Hawk expressed precisely :
On 6/28/2020 10:26 PM, micky wrote:
The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says.¬* "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment:¬*¬* they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while
using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right?¬* It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to
protect the other people.

Masks with valves protects others from the wearer but apparently doesn't
protect the wearer from others.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90496717...s-banning-them

It figures that you would get it exactly beackwards.

Yep, switch it the other way.

"if you have a mask with a valve, you are protecting yourself as well as you
would be if you wore a mask without a valve.

Yes, maybe even better depending on materials used, but you can spread
particles more easily when you exhale if you are shedding.

There’s no difference in
personal protection according to anything published in the CDC or elsewhere.
But if you have a mask with a valve, you’re not really protecting those
around you, which is at least half of the point of wearing a cotton mask in
the first place.:

Yes, I agree, in part. Almost the whole point of the cotton or homemade
masks is to protect others by reducing contamination of the common area
environments when one has to be out there. Protecting yourself with
that type of mask is only slightly effective, its worth is in
protecting others.
Old June 30th 20, 04:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 28 Jun 2020 22:26:59 -0400, micky
wrote:

The cashier at the supermarket wears a black mask with what looks like
one of these on either side. Like the seashell from Shell gas stations.
I had hoped it was decoration, but it looks like these enough I think
it's just an "activated carbon filter".

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Fil...tag=mozilla-20

Not only that, she talks low enough I've had to lean over once to hear
what she says. "The self-checkout scanners are not on. " I knew that.
If they were on, that's where I'd be.

One comment:some purchaser had made: they are directional in that you can aim the exhaust some
what. Mine are pointed down and back towards my shoulders.

But these valves are meant to make breathing out easier, right? while

The answer you all gave was Yes.

using the rest of the mask to filter the air that comes in, right? It
seems that vents like this defeat the so-called goal of masks, to

I've seen the term bicycle mask before, masks with one-way valves going
out. . These must be totally unrelated to the virus, invented
earlier, for people with serious hay fever, etc , and yet because they
are "masks" sales have increased.

protect the other people.

Well thanks to all of you for the many answers.

It's been 7 days since I was there and I'm not sick yet, so it was
probably okay, but next time, instead of going at 5, I'll go at 6:15,
check if the DIY scanners are running, go nap in the car if they're not,

Maybe I'll take the store's phone number. When the store opened at 6, I
did call and he said he'd ge the machines on by :6:30 instead of 7:30,
but soon after they started opening at 5.

This means I won't be able to see my beloved cashier anymore, except at
a distance. She was amiable and liked to talk and I was convinced that
no matter how much the mask covered, she was cute underneath.

Actually, the biggest reason she and her crummy mask didn't make me sick
is mostly likey that she's not sick. That's true about everyone we
meet. But clearly, some people are sick. It's that period where people
are contagious but don't yet know they're sick that is where the biggest
danger lies. (The second biggest is the people with symptoms who go out
in public anyhow.)
Old June 30th 20, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I've seen several statements by experts that people tend to be most
contagious for a day or 2 BEFORE they get symptoms.

Whats the most cost effective AND time effective way to sell onunwanted tools and DiY materials......? Stephen[_22_] UK diy 21 September 10th 19 09:32 AM
causes of TV shadow mask damage CW Electronics Repair 7 August 24th 04 12:47 AM
Does The 3M Woodworking Dusk Mask Irritate Your Throat? x071907 Home Repair 2 April 4th 04 06:35 PM
Half mask filters CandT UK diy 0 February 16th 04 11:25 AM
Where to find dust mask? SteveB Home Repair 13 January 30th 04 04:06 AM