DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   OT transporting a hot tub (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/650875-ot-transporting-hot-tub.html)

[email protected] June 19th 20 06:22 AM

OT transporting a hot tub

I'm now thinking of moving - this story is
from the next county ..

https://tinyurl.com/ybygtnuz

John T.

micky June 19th 20 01:31 PM

OT transporting a hot tub

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 19 Jun 2020 00:22:49 -0400,
wrote:

I'm now thinking of moving - this story is
from the next county ..

https://tinyurl.com/ybygtnuz

John T.

Homemade trailer. I think it's a hand truck.

At least they didn't shoot him.

trader_4 June 19th 20 03:03 PM

OT transporting a hot tub

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:18:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm now thinking of moving - this story is
from the next county ..

https://tinyurl.com/ybygtnuz

John T.

One serious flaw that he didn't understand was the bearings in a hand truck
aren't rated for continuous use at road speed. I would bet that would have
caused trouble in a few miles as would any small road imperfections.

rbowman June 19th 20 03:57 PM

OT transporting a hot tub

On 06/18/2020 10:22 PM, wrote:
I'm now thinking of moving - this story is
from the next county ..

https://tinyurl.com/ybygtnuz

I should have known given Clare; people in Ontario have no sense of
humor. That would be a normal day around here. It's safer than Montana
doubles, a pickup towing a camp trailer with the boat behind the
trailer. I think some have worked their way up to triples if they wanted
a motorcycle at the camp site.

[email protected] June 19th 20 04:47 PM

OT transporting a hot tub

On Fri, 19 Jun 2020 06:03:57 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:18:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm now thinking of moving - this story is
from the next county ..

https://tinyurl.com/ybygtnuz

John T.

One serious flaw that he didn't understand was the bearings in a hand truck
aren't rated for continuous use at road speed. I would bet that would have
caused trouble in a few miles as would any small road imperfections.

Yep , Captain Obvious - that's the only thing he missed ..
John T.

[email protected] June 19th 20 09:15 PM

OT transporting a hot tub

wrote:

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:18:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm now thinking of moving - this story is
from the next county ..

https://tinyurl.com/ybygtnuz

John T.

One serious flaw that he didn't understand was the bearings in a hand truck
aren't rated for continuous use at road speed. I would bet that would have
caused trouble in a few miles as would any small road imperfections.

I wondered how far he was trying to tow this thing. If it was a mile
or so on low speed residential roads he might get away with it if
those were ball bearings in the hand truck wheels. You would not want
to be on the highway tho.
It does beg the question of why he didn't borrow a truck. He must know
someone with a full size pickup. My spa is about that size and I
brought it home on my boat trailer.

Clare Snyder June 19th 20 10:33 PM

OT transporting a hot tub

wrote:

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:18:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm now thinking of moving - this story is
from the next county ..

https://tinyurl.com/ybygtnuz

John T.

One serious flaw that he didn't understand was the bearings in a hand truck
aren't rated for continuous use at road speed. I would bet that would have
caused trouble in a few miles as would any small road imperfections.

I wondered how far he was trying to tow this thing. If it was a mile
or so on low speed residential roads he might get away with it if
those were ball bearings in the hand truck wheels. You would not want
to be on the highway tho.
It does beg the question of why he didn't borrow a truck. He must know
someone with a full size pickup. My spa is about that size and I
brought it home on my boat trailer.

It was on a rural gravel road - so my bet was at least a few miles -
and it was likely one of those "here, hold my beer and watch this"
moments. Maybe no beer involved - but you know what I mean. Mustn't
have valued the Porsche very highly though - - -

trader_4 June 20th 20 12:48 AM

OT transporting a hot tub

wrote:

On Friday, June 19, 2020 at 12:18:25 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I'm now thinking of moving - this story is
from the next county ..

https://tinyurl.com/ybygtnuz

John T.

One serious flaw that he didn't understand was the bearings in a hand truck
aren't rated for continuous use at road speed. I would bet that would have
caused trouble in a few miles as would any small road imperfections.

I wondered how far he was trying to tow this thing. If it was a mile
or so on low speed residential roads he might get away with it if
those were ball bearings in the hand truck wheels. You would not want
to be on the highway tho.
It does beg the question of why he didn't borrow a truck. He must know
someone with a full size pickup. My spa is about that size and I
brought it home on my boat trailer.

Exactly. HD rents pickups for what? $30 for 90 minutes or so?
Even a regular rental place, you can rent for a day for what, $75?
What's that compared to having to make that contraption for the back
of the Porsche and risk damaging it? What's one good scratch in that
car going to cost?

[email protected] June 20th 20 01:58 AM

OT transporting a hot tub

wrote:

[...]

Looked like a 2 lane blacktop to me. I have never seen stripes painted
on a dirt road. He is parked on the gravel shoulder.

Clare Snyder June 20th 20 04:03 AM

OT transporting a hot tub

wrote:

[...]

Yes the picture showed blacktop but I'm sure it was reported he was
on a dirt road - maybe he just pulled out onto the pavement. Don't
know - Anyway, it looks like something you'd see on "fail army"

[email protected] June 20th 20 05:08 AM

OT transporting a hot tub

wrote:

[...]

Must have cleaner dirt roads up there. There is no dust on the tub.