Old May 23rd 20, 08:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Two Back Wires, Two White Wires, WTH?

Finally found a solution to our bathroom wiring nightmare!!! Thank you!!

One of the two pairs of wires goes to the switch. You have to figure
out which one. Best thing to do is to disconnect all the wires, turn on
the breaker, then CAREFULLY use a neon tester to see which wire pair is
"hot". This is the one that ISN'T the switch.

Then TURN THE BREAKER OFF AGAIN, connect the BLACK wire from the pair
you found to be hot to the WHITE wire of the other pair (the pair that
goes to the switch) with a wire nut. Then connect the remaining black
and white wires to the fixture.

Old May 24th 20, 04:28 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2020 10:10 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 23 May 2020 16:26:53 -0400, Hawk wrote:

On 5/23/2020 3:51 PM, wrote:
Finally found a solution to our bathroom wiring nightmare!!! Thank you!!

One of the two pairs of wires goes to the switch. You have to figure
out which one. Best thing to do is to disconnect all the wires, turn on
the breaker, then CAREFULLY use a neon tester to see which wire pair is
"hot". This is the one that ISN'T the switch.

Then TURN THE BREAKER OFF AGAIN, connect the BLACK wire from the pair
you found to be hot to the WHITE wire of the other pair (the pair that
goes to the switch) with a wire nut. Then connect the remaining black
and white wires to the fixture.

WHAT? You never connect hot to neutral.

Any switch uses the two hot wires and the two neutrals are wired
together. Is that what you meant? Cause that's not what I read.

It was likely a "drop switch" - power to the light box, 2 wire dropped
from the box to the switch. SHOULD have white of feed to the fixture,
black of feed to white of 2 wire to switch - marked with black tape,
black marker or black shrink tube both at the fixture and at the
switch, with the black from the switch connected to the black of the
fixture. So yes, you DO connect black to white - but you mark the
white. (the remarked white is NOT NEUTRAL)

I saved all that confusion by running my wiring all under the house -
and bringing my hots to the switch box . The only wiring in the attic is
the runs from the switches to the fixtures and a pair of 14/3's run from
one switch box to another for 2 fixtures that are switched in 2 locations .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Old May 24th 20, 06:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/23/2020 3:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

That's the "right" way to do things - might take a bit more copper
but makes the job easier when you install AND when you or someone else
needs to fix something.

OT But WTH Computer cases Albert Hodge Home Repair 13 May 27th 17 05:38 PM
WTH??? Grampa[_2_] Home Repair 2 October 30th 12 07:57 PM
WTH? Should I buy a Volt? Vic Smith Home Repair 21 June 30th 12 04:36 PM
WTH Servo Dynamics amp repairman, or WTB rebuilt SD amp Mario Electronics Repair 4 June 2nd 06 04:20 PM
WTH: electrician/EE type in Dallas (Irving) area for milling machinepower conversion Mario Metalworking 4 August 11th 05 02:40 PM