DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   caulking (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/649688-caulking.html)

[email protected] May 23rd 20 11:33 AM

caulking

which is best when caulking something? Pushing or pulling??

Leisure Suit Larry[_2_] May 23rd 20 12:35 PM

caulking

On 5/23/2020 6:33 AM, wrote:
which is best when caulking something? Pushing or pulling??

Which kind of caulk?Â* Vinyl, acrylic, butyl rubber, latex, silicone or some variant?

Hawk May 23rd 20 12:55 PM

caulking

On 5/23/2020 6:33 AM, wrote:
which is best when caulking something? Pushing or pulling??

Pulling. Why would you push and risk gobbing up the caulk as it's being
pushed back into the opening?

[email protected] May 23rd 20 02:34 PM

caulking

On Sat, 23 May 2020 03:33:58 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

which is best when caulking something? Pushing or pulling??

If you mean the direction of travel of the tip, you push caulk so it
goes into the crack. If you are pulling it, the caulk just lays on the
top. The painters showed my wife how to do this and she is a lot
better than me. We also have a real caulking gun, not one of those
$1.99 stamped steel things. This has a cast, swiveling barrel that
holds the caulk tube, a pressure release that works and a better
trigger mechanism that allows more precise metering of the caulk.
Getting the tip cut to the right angle and size is very important. If
you do this right, you get a very consistent cove shape caulk line
with mo clean up necessary and the caulk is pushed into the gap so it
won't just fall out or leak.

Hawk May 23rd 20 07:53 PM

caulking

wrote:

which is best when caulking something? Pushing or pulling??

If you mean the direction of travel of the tip, you push caulk so it
goes into the crack. If you are pulling it, the caulk just lays on the
top. The painters showed my wife how to do this and she is a lot
better than me. We also have a real caulking gun, not one of those
$1.99 stamped steel things. This has a cast, swiveling barrel that
holds the caulk tube, a pressure release that works and a better
trigger mechanism that allows more precise metering of the caulk.
Getting the tip cut to the right angle and size is very important. If
you do this right, you get a very consistent cove shape caulk line
with mo clean up necessary and the caulk is pushed into the gap so it
won't just fall out or leak.

I've never had a problem with caulk entering/filling the crack while
pulling. With the tapered cut and angle of the tip, it lays a perfect
bead as you leave it in it's trail.