DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Why are stairlifts so slow? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/649610-why-stairlifts-so-slow.html)

Commander Kinsey May 21st 20 02:32 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Why are stairlifts so slow? A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Rod Speed May 21st 20 02:53 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Commander Kinsey wrote

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Costs a lot more to go much faster and still be safe.

A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable
for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Only the demented cant anticipate the need and go earlier.

The demented wear nappys anyway.

Commander Kinsey May 21st 20 03:15 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On Thu, 21 May 2020 01:53:30 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Costs a lot more to go much faster and still be safe.

I'm not asking for fast, just say.... walking speed! They all go at some stupidly low speed about half a mile an hour. There's no way anyone would consider double that to be dangerous.

A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable
for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Only the demented cant anticipate the need and go earlier.

Or anyone who's old. And how about to answer the door?

The demented wear nappys anyway.

Rod Speed May 21st 20 03:59 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Costs a lot more to go much faster and still be safe.

I'm not asking for fast, just say.... walking speed! They all go at some
stupidly low speed about half a mile an hour. There's no way anyone would
consider double that to be dangerous.

A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable
for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Only the demented cant anticipate the need and go earlier.

Or anyone who's old.

That's bull****. I anticipate that I might
need to take a **** or **** before leaving the
house and do so before I leave if I need to.

And how about to answer the door?

Much cheaper to have a decent doorbell
system that allows you to tell who ever
knocked on the door that you are coming.

Some of us get real radical and have one
that works even if we arent home so we
can tell the indivual at the door that we
arent home and when we will be home
or where to leave what they are bringing.
Or tell them that your cant come to the
door so they wont break in a loot the place.

The demented wear nappys anyway.

williamwright May 21st 20 05:17 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On 21/05/2020 01:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why are stairlifts so slow?* A whole minute to get upstairs is not
acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

37 seconds actually.

Bill

John May 21st 20 06:56 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

It's a wonder that you have any **** left.

Mr Pounder Esquire May 21st 20 08:09 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why are stairlifts so slow? A whole minute to get upstairs is not
acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Prat.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) May 21st 20 08:43 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Actually this question has come up before. The reason I was given many years
ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up fast, it would jolt at the start and
end of the run. And if you made it slow down and speed up, then it would
probably still take a long time as the distance travelled in the main is a
short one, and people are heavy loads to move.
I guess one could make a three point seat belt system but by the time you
have done it up and undone it, you might as well have been going slower
anyway!
On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a good product
to make. grin.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Rod Speed May 21st 20 09:08 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Actually this question has come up before.

Yep.

The reason I was given many years ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up
fast, it would jolt at the start and end of the run.

Yes, but that’s easy to fix by accelerating and decelerating at the ends.

And if you made it slow down and speed up, then it would probably still
take a long time as the distance travelled in the main is a short one, and
people are heavy loads to move.

Nope. It works with electric wheel chairs.

I guess one could make a three point seat belt system

No need if it goes as fast as a walking person.

but by the time you have done it up and undone it, you might as well have
been going slower anyway!

On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a good
product to make. grin.

Makes more sense to have one downstairs or a real dunny there.

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 09:44 AM

CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Thu, 21 May 2020 01:32:47 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

FLUSH the subnormal sociopathic attention whore's latest attention-baiting
sick troll**** unread again

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 09:46 AM

Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Thu, 21 May 2020 04:17:20 +0100, williamwright, another brain damaged
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered:

37 seconds actually.

That must be the time it has taken him to climax again when he read your
feedback, troll-feeding senile asshole!

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 09:48 AM

Troll-feeding Senile Blind ASSHOLE Alert!

On Thu, 21 May 2020 07:43:22 +0100, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

Actually this question has come up before.

And I bet you endlessly driveling senile asshole fed him back then already
for the same question, Brainless & Daft!

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 09:50 AM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 21 May 2020 11:59:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic trolls' endless sick blather

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between the two resident idiots:

Birdbrain: "But imagine how cool it was to own slaves."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, right. Feed them, clothe them, and fix them when
they're broken.
After all, you paid good money for them. Then you've got to keep an eye
on them all the time."

Birdbrain: "Better than having to give them wages on top of that."

Senile Rodent: "Specially when they make more slaves for you
and produce their own food and clothes."

MID:

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 09:51 AM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 21 May 2020 17:08:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Grumpy Old White Guy[_3_] May 21st 20 01:47 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Why are stairlifts so slow?* A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Because most people have become pussified snowflakes, unwilling to accept modest risk.

But people have become incredibly illogical too.* Ever notice all the obese people wearing masks?* Apparently it never occurred to them that being obese was more of a threat than the Wuhan virus?

If they are so afraid of dying, why don't they change their diet and lose some weight? The evidence is clear, metabolically healthy people are largely unaffected by the Wuhan virus.

--
Get off my lawn!

Andrew[_22_] May 21st 20 02:47 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On 21/05/2020 04:17, williamwright wrote:
On 21/05/2020 01:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why are stairlifts so slow?* A whole minute to get upstairs is not
acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

37 seconds actually.

Bill

Is that travelling time or peeing time ? :-)

slate_leeper[_2_] May 21st 20 02:59 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On Thu, 21 May 2020 07:43:22 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Actually this question has come up before. The reason I was given many years
ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up fast, it would jolt at the start and
end of the run. And if you made it slow down and speed up, then it would
probably still take a long time as the distance travelled in the main is a
short one, and people are heavy loads to move.
I guess one could make a three point seat belt system but by the time you
have done it up and undone it, you might as well have been going slower
anyway!
On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a good product
to make. grin.
Brian

I imagine economics comes into play also. I small motor geared down is
cheaper than a larger, more powerful motor.

-dan z-

--
Protect your civil rights!
Let the politicians know how you feel.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 03:13 PM

Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Thu, 21 May 2020 07:47:55 -0400, Grumpy Old White Guy, another brain
damaged, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

But people have become incredibly illogical too.* Ever notice all the
obese people wearing masks?*

Ever noticed that you are feeding the dumbest, PROVEN clinically insane
attention whore that ever was around? BG

Hawk May 21st 20 05:30 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

wrote:

[...]

I want to live in Rod's world. He does EVERYTHING perfect and never has
problems. His way is always the best way. Rod for president! Oh damn,
he's not a US citizen. WHEW!

Rod Speed May 21st 20 07:45 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

wrote:

[...]

And are almost certainly designed by those who don't have
an incontinence problem and who don't realise the problem
that slow stair lifts can be for those who are incontinent.

Or maybe they realise that anyone with an incontence
problem would have something to **** in which isnt upstairs.

Thomas May 21st 20 08:05 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

It is all about the gearing to be able to get your fat heavy ass up there.
Shift you car to 4th from a stop and see how far you go.

Rod Speed May 21st 20 08:18 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

wrote:

[...]

I dont actually. I have just recently been involved in
a similar situation as with Arbery, with me in the situation
of the father and son. With hindsight what I did was quite
stupid and I ended up visiting 3 hospitals as a result.

The perp, did end up back in jail the next day because
he is a jail bird who was out on parole and was back
in jail for breach of parole.

My stupidity was that I didnt realise that he was a jail
bird and well known to the cops. He would have been
back in jail if I had just given the video footage to the
cops, but I wasnt to know that.

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 08:23 PM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 22 May 2020 03:45:28 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
and totally irresponsible talk. Your mouth could get you into a lot of
trouble."
Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 09:28 PM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 22 May 2020 04:18:14 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
MID:

Ralph Mowery May 21st 20 09:57 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

In article ,
says...

And are almost certainly designed by those who don't have
an incontinence problem and who don't realise the problem
that slow stair lifts can be for those who are incontinent.

Or maybe they realise that anyone with an incontence
problem would have something to **** in which isnt upstairs.

We bought a house about 15 years ago that has 2 bedrooms and a bathroom
upstairs. The master bedroom and bathroom is on the first floor. So is
the washing machine. Now that we are in our 70's it was a wise decision
to have everything we need on the first floor. We did remodle the
bathroom before moving in. Best decision for us was to replace the
bathtub with just a walk in shower. We only have to step up about 3
inches to get into the shower. We also had a grab bar put in that is
screwed into the studs to hold on to. There is a tub upstairs if we want
it, but have not used it very much.

I never did understand why people would build a house with all the
bedrooms upstairs. Fine maybe for the younger, but not the older.

% May 21st 20 10:09 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On 2020-05-21 12:57 p.m., Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

why would anyone buy one

Commander Kinsey May 21st 20 10:13 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

n Thu, 21 May 2020 07:09:18 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why are stairlifts so slow? A whole minute to get upstairs is not
acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Prat.

Again, you don't know the answer. But then you can't afford stairs.

Rod Speed May 21st 20 10:16 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...

[...]

With the poms, their houses are so tiny that they don't have any
real choice with that, particularly since most are terrace houses.

Rod Speed May 21st 20 10:19 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On 2020-05-21 12:57 p.m., Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Because that is all that is for sale there.

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 11:01 PM

UNBELIEVABLE: It's 06:19 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER THREE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Fri, 22 May 2020 06:19:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

06:19??? So it's your FOURTH hour of your idiotic trolling, senile asshole!
STILL some FIFTEEN HOURS to go for you, you ridiculous senile pest! LOL

--
Richard about senile Rodent:
"Rod Speed, a bare faced pig and ignorant ****."

Peeler[_4_] May 21st 20 11:04 PM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 22 May 2020 06:16:36 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Chris Green May 21st 20 11:19 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Er, in UK English the 'first floor' *is* upstairs! :-)

Most houses have a 'ground floor' and a 'first floor' in the UK. Yes,
I know it's not very logical but that's the way it is.

--
Chris Green
·

Commander Kinsey May 21st 20 11:29 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On Thu, 21 May 2020 12:47:55 +0100, Grumpy Old White Guy wrote:

Why are stairlifts so slow? A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Because most people have become pussified snowflakes, unwilling to accept modest risk.

Agreed. Although in the case of the stairlift, at any speed you are safe due to the supplied belt. If you don't use it, your fault not theirs, so no compensation claim, nothing for them to worry about. And they could even make it disable the motor if you don't fasten the belt.

But people have become incredibly illogical too. Ever notice all the obese people wearing masks? Apparently it never occurred to them that being obese was more of a threat than the Wuhan virus?

Agreed. Although I've seen nobody in the UK wearing a mask, we don't bother.

If they are so afraid of dying, why don't they change their diet and lose some weight? The evidence is clear, metabolically healthy people are largely unaffected by the Wuhan virus.

Agreed. When a fat person says they have a medical problem, I just say "Eat. Less. Food." You don't need to change your diet, just eat less of it. Or go for a run or something, it's not rocket science.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] May 21st 20 11:38 PM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On 5/21/2020 3:57 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

As a practical matter some houses don't have much choice. My first
house had LR, DR, Kitchen on the first floor, no room for a BR but there
were three on the second floor. In the city where land is expensive and
limited it is sensible to go up, not out. Oh, laundry was in the
basement making it even more fun.

Second house was better, this house is perfect, three BR on one floor.

Ralph Mowery May 22nd 20 12:24 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

In article , says...

I never did understand why people would build a house with all the
bedrooms upstairs. Fine maybe for the younger, but not the older.

Er, in UK English the 'first floor' *is* upstairs! :-)

Most houses have a 'ground floor' and a 'first floor' in the UK. Yes,
I know it's not very logical but that's the way it is.

The labeling on many things ,especially in different countries can be
confusing.

My house would probably confuse some. It has a walkout basement (even
with the ground on one side with a door but the other wall is
underground, then the floor that we call the 1st floor, then the 2nd
floor. So depending on where you go in the house may determine what you
call the floors.

In the US I have seen elevators in buildings labeled G,1,2 for the
Ground (where you normally go into the building) and some just 1,2,3.
Then there is the floor called Lobby. Also the normal floor to go in
and out of the building. Seems to me that for the blind there is a big
star raised next to the normal into and out of the building floor along
with the dots for the floors.

The large plant I worked in was built and added on to over about 40
years.
Some parts the floors were very tall and the height of 2 normal floors.
So you are walking down the floor and it is the 2nd floor. You pass
through an opening about 15 feet wide and it becomes the 3 rd floor.
Then go to the other side of the building and the floors are 1,
mezzanine, 2,3. So going down a hallway about 200 feet long you start
on the 2nd floor, go through an opening in the wall and you are on the
Mezz floor, and then through another opening and you are on the 3 rd
floor.

Commander Kinsey May 22nd 20 02:46 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On Thu, 21 May 2020 04:17:20 +0100, williamwright wrote:

On 21/05/2020 01:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why are stairlifts so slow? A whole minute to get upstairs is not
acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

37 seconds actually.

Depends on the make, if your stairs have corners, how many steps, etc, etc. A minute is close enough. And 37 seconds is still way too much, considering an able bodied person can walk up those stairs in something like 5-10 seconds without running.

Commander Kinsey May 22nd 20 02:47 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

On Thu, 21 May 2020 13:47:08 +0100, Andrew wrote:

On 21/05/2020 04:17, williamwright wrote:
On 21/05/2020 01:32, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why are stairlifts so slow? A whole minute to get upstairs is not
acceptable for an old person desperate for the toilet.

37 seconds actually.

Bill

Is that travelling time or peeing time ? :-)

On that subject, I was once told it's impossible to pee with an erection. Discuss.

Commander Kinsey May 22nd 20 03:43 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

wrote:

[...]

Who is Arbery?

The perp,

That's a stupid American abbreviation.

did end up back in jail the next day because
he is a jail bird who was out on parole and was back
in jail for breach of parole.

My stupidity was that I didnt realise that he was a jail
bird and well known to the cops. He would have been
back in jail if I had just given the video footage to the
cops, but I wasnt to know that.

How is it stupid not to know all the jailbirds?

Commander Kinsey May 22nd 20 03:43 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

wrote:

[...]

He's a geek controlling his life with his phone. It'd be funny if it was dropped, broken, lost, stolen etc.

Commander Kinsey May 22nd 20 03:45 AM

Why are stairlifts so slow?

wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Costs a lot more to go much faster and still be safe.

I'm not asking for fast, just say.... walking speed! They all go at some
stupidly low speed about half a mile an hour. There's no way anyone would
consider double that to be dangerous.

A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable
for an old person desperate for the toilet.

Only the demented cant anticipate the need and go earlier.

Or anyone who's old.

That's bull****. I anticipate that I might
need to take a **** or **** before leaving the
house and do so before I leave if I need to.

Lucky you, many old people don't get warning.

And how about to answer the door?

Much cheaper to have a decent doorbell
system that allows you to tell who ever
knocked on the door that you are coming.

Geek. Most people just shout "just a minute!"

Some of us get real radical and have one
that works even if we arent home so we
can tell the indivual at the door that we
arent home and when we will be home
or where to leave what they are bringing.
Or tell them that your cant come to the
door so they wont break in a loot the place.

Severe geek.