Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Why are stairlifts so slow?

[snip]

The testing of toilets includes the ability to flush a cell phone.

Oh but Iphones are waterproof alledgedly.* **** knows how you plug your
headphones in.

Or the charging cable, unless it's qi only.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I respect faith, but doubt is what gets you an education." -- Wilson
Mizner
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 May 2020 22:35:38 +0100, Gerald R

[snip]

He's a geek controlling his life with his phone.* It'd be funny if it
was dropped, broken, lost, stolen etc.

The testing of toilets includes the ability to flush a cell phone.

Oh but Iphones are waterproof alledgedly.* **** knows how you plug your
headphones in.

So there's a chance of finding a working iPhone in the sewer.

--
"Impeccable, adjective: something which cannot be destroyed by the beak
of a parrot."
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 5/23/20 1:08 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

Odd, my iPhone has a headphone connector and it's only 2 years old.
That is hardly *long gone*.

Wrong, as always.

and Alpha Centauri is local.

[snip]

--
"Impeccable, adjective: something which cannot be destroyed by the beak
of a parrot."
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sat, 23 May 2020 13:42:47 -0500, Mark Lloyd, another absolutely brain
dead, troll-feeding, senile cretin, drivelled:

Or the charging cable, unless it's qi only.

Does the unwashed juvenile ******'s cock taste THAT good to all you senile
troll-feeding assholes infesting Usenet?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 13:43:47 -0500, Sam E, another mentally deficient,
troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered:

So there's a chance of finding a working iPhone in the sewer.

You obviously enjoy digging in sewers, troll-feeding senile asshole!

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 19:43:47 +0100, Sam E wrote:

On Fri, 22 May 2020 22:35:38 +0100, Gerald R

[snip]

He's a geek controlling his life with his phone. It'd be funny if it
was dropped, broken, lost, stolen etc.

The testing of toilets includes the ability to flush a cell phone.

Oh but Iphones are waterproof alledgedly. **** knows how you plug your
headphones in.

So there's a chance of finding a working iPhone in the sewer.

I wouldn't want one, even if someone cleaned it for me. I suppose it might be worth something on Ebay. There are still Apple fanboys about? I was hoping that company would die along with Jobs.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 May 2020 03:40:53 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kzwfgibwdg98l@glass...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 16:30:35 +0100, Hawk wrote:

On 5/21/2020 12:56 AM, John wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 11:59:29 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0kx0ggs6wdg98l@glass...
On Thu, 21 May 2020 01:53:30 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

Why are stairlifts so slow?

Costs a lot more to go much faster and still be safe.

I'm not asking for fast, just say.... walking speed! They all go at
some stupidly low speed about half a mile an hour. There's no way
anyone would consider double that to be dangerous.

A whole minute to get upstairs is not acceptable for an old person
desperate for the toilet.

Only the demented cant anticipate the need and go earlier.

Or anyone who's old.

That's bull****. I anticipate that I might need to take a **** or ****
before leaving the house and do so before I leave if I need to.

And how about to answer the door?

Much cheaper to have a decent doorbell system that allows you to tell
who ever knocked on the door that you are coming.

Some of us get real radical and have one that works even if we arent
home so we can tell the indivual at the door that we arent home and
when
we will be home or where to leave what they are bringing.
Or tell them that your cant come to the door so they wont break in a
loot the place.

The demented wear nappys anyway.

It's a wonder that you have any **** left.

I want to live in Rod's world. He does EVERYTHING perfect and never has
problems. His way is always the best way. Rod for president! Oh damn,
he's not a US citizen. WHEW!

He's a geek controlling his life with his phone.

Much more often with the other stuff like the Philips Hue
system, the google home minis and the Echo Dots.

It'd be funny if it was dropped, broken, lost, stolen etc.

That's my line, learn to quote.

No big deal, I'd use the previous one. Effortlessly since
iphones automatically keep them all fully synched. Just
turn the spare on and carry on regardless.

Thanks for proving your geekyness, you really do not need all that ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0k3kjukdwdg98l@glass...
On Sat, 23 May 2020 19:43:47 +0100, Sam E

On Fri, 22 May 2020 22:35:38 +0100, Gerald R

[snip]

He's a geek controlling his life with his phone. It'd be funny if it
was dropped, broken, lost, stolen etc.

The testing of toilets includes the ability to flush a cell phone.

Oh but Iphones are waterproof alledgedly. **** knows how you plug your
headphones in.

So there's a chance of finding a working iPhone in the sewer.

I wouldn't want one, even if someone cleaned it for me.

Yep. you actually are that stupid.

I suppose it might be worth something on Ebay.

And a lot more than the same vintage android.

There are still Apple fanboys about?

There are certainly those who realise
that they do some things better.

I was hoping that company would die along with Jobs.

Yep, you actually are that stupid, that pathetic an excuse for a troll.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0k3kuidwwdg98l@glass...

****
[...]

It isnt about need, its about what is more convenient, stupid.

But they I'm nor a completely unemployable parasite
that only gets to use what others chuck out.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 24 May 2020 13:15:53 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless blather

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between the two resident idiots:

Birdbrain: "But imagine how cool it was to own slaves."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, right. Feed them, clothe them, and fix them when
they're broken.
After all, you paid good money for them. Then you've got to keep an eye
on them all the time."

Birdbrain: "Better than having to give them wages on top of that."

Senile Rodent: "Specially when they make more slaves for you
and produce their own food and clothes."

MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 24 May 2020 13:06:46 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless blather

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rodent:

Senile Rodent: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair

On Thu, 21 May 2020 12:30:38 +0100, Phil Addison wrote:

On Thu, 21 May 2020 17:08:22 +1000, in uk.d-i-y "Rod Speed" wrote:

Nope. It works with electric wheel chairs.

up a 1 : 1.25 hill?

That doesn't change the simple task of making a motor with soft start.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 18:45:28 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"slate_leeper" wrote in message
On Thu, 21 May 2020 07:43:22 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Actually this question has come up before. The reason I was given many
years
ago now, was inertia. IE if it went up fast, it would jolt at the start
and
end of the run. And if you made it slow down and speed up, then it would
probably still take a long time as the distance travelled in the main is a
short one, and people are heavy loads to move.
I guess one could make a three point seat belt system but by the time you
have done it up and undone it, you might as well have been going slower
anyway!
On the other hand, a commode mounted on a Chairlift might be a good
product
to make. grin.
Brian

I imagine economics comes into play also. I small motor geared down is
cheaper than a larger, more powerful motor.

And are almost certainly designed by those who don't have
an incontinence problem and who don't realise the problem
that slow stair lifts can be for those who are incontinent.

Or maybe they realise that anyone with an incontence
problem would have something to **** in which isnt upstairs.

It's not just toilets. Imagine you're an infirm person upstairs. The doorbell rings. You take quite a few minutes to get there, by which time they've left. Now you've missed your parcel and are expected to go collect it from the post office.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 19:05:23 +0100, Thomas wrote:

It is all about the gearing to be able to get your fat heavy ass up there.
Shift you car to 4th from a stop and see how far you go.

A motor is not like an engine, it has more power when slower, and wouldn't have a problem getting it going.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 8/6/20 11:55 pm, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 19:05:23 +0100, Thomas wrote:

It is all about the gearing to be able to get your fat heavy ass up
there.
Shift you car to 4th from a stop and see how far you go.

A motor is not like an engine, it has more power when slower, and
wouldn't have a problem getting it going.

Electric motors have 100% torque at stall.

I am pleased to see that you at least know the difference between a
motor and an engine. There is hope for you yet.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 15:19:12 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 8/6/20 11:55 pm, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 19:05:23 +0100, Thomas wrote:

It is all about the gearing to be able to get your fat heavy ass up
there.
Shift you car to 4th from a stop and see how far you go.

A motor is not like an engine, it has more power when slower, and
wouldn't have a problem getting it going.

Electric motors have 100% torque at stall.

I am pleased to see that you at least know the difference between a
motor and an engine. There is hope for you yet.

I also know that a lot are designed so badly that if they stall for more than a couple of seconds, they burn out. This includes an £80 strimmer I bought (so not cheap ****). I just sent it back and got it replaced, happy in the knowledge that either the shop or the manufacturer was out of pocket.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Jun 2020 15:19:12 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 8/6/20 11:55 pm, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Thu, 21 May 2020 19:05:23 +0100, Thomas wrote:

It is all about the gearing to be able to get your fat heavy ass up
there.
Shift you car to 4th from a stop and see how far you go.

A motor is not like an engine, it has more power when slower, and
wouldn't have a problem getting it going.

Electric motors have 100% torque at stall.

I am pleased to see that you at least know the difference between a
motor and an engine. There is hope for you yet.

I also know it's very easy to add a soft start circuit to prevent the old dear being lurched form 0mph to a massive great 2mph walking speed, which wouldn't actually be dangerous at all, but some over-zealous health and softy legislation might think so.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Australian ASSHOLE Alert!

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 00:19:12 +1000, Beno, another brainless, troll-feeding,
senile Australian idiot, blathered:

I am pleased to see that you at least know the difference between a
motor and an engine. There is hope for you yet.

There is certainly no hope for you, senile sucker of troll cock! tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 May 2020 22:19:11 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

And are almost certainly designed by those who don't have
an incontinence problem and who don't realise the problem
that slow stair lifts can be for those who are incontinent.

Or maybe they realise that anyone with an incontence
problem would have something to **** in which isnt upstairs.

We bought a house about 15 years ago that has 2 bedrooms and a bathroom
upstairs. The master bedroom and bathroom is on the first floor. So is
the washing machine. Now that we are in our 70's it was a wise decision
to have everything we need on the first floor. We did remodle the
bathroom before moving in. Best decision for us was to replace the
bathtub with just a walk in shower. We only have to step up about 3
inches to get into the shower. We also had a grab bar put in that is
screwed into the studs to hold on to. There is a tub upstairs if we want
it, but have not used it very much.

I never did understand why people would build a house with all the
bedrooms upstairs. Fine maybe for the younger, but not the older.

Er, in UK English the 'first floor' *is* upstairs! :-)

Most houses have a 'ground floor' and a 'first floor' in the UK. Yes,
I know it's not very logical but that's the way it is.

No, that's the snobby way. Anybody with any common sense starts counting at 1, not 0. Why blindly follow the blind? Your "ground floor" has a floor. Therefore it's the first one you come to. It's not the ground. It's not covered in earth. It's a floor like any other.

And before you ask, I'm in the UK, and hate most Americanisms, but this one is sensible.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 01:37:45 +0100, williamwright wrote:

On 21/05/2020 22:19, Chris Green wrote:

Er, in UK English the 'first floor' *is* upstairs! :-)

Most houses have a 'ground floor' and a 'first floor' in the UK. Yes,
I know it's not very logical but that's the way it is.

I had terrible confusion when working for CNN and taking verbal
instructions.

The other two things that annoy me are "next wednesday" and 6/8/2020. Both can apparently be ambiguous, but I always use the logical one.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 May 2020 06:25:49 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 22/5/20 5:57 am, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

That's why we bought a house 7 years ago that was single level and on a
level block. But then, I have always lived in single level houses.
Detest stairs with a passion. They seem to get steeper as one gets older.

Not a lot of point apart form due to a shortage of land. Also annoying to have your neighbour being able to see into your garden. And if there's more than one person living in the house, whoever is upstairs can be heard tramping along the floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 May 2020 22:26:09 +0100, Sam E wrote:

On 5/21/20 12:45 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

[snip]

Or maybe they realise that anyone with an incontence
problem would have something to **** in which isnt upstairs.

I consider it a bad idea to have a multi-level house without even a half
bathroom on each level.

But if you bought the house when you were 20....
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 May 2020 02:43:11 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 23/5/20 11:23 am, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 22 May 2020 04:12:48 +0100, Xeno wrote:

On 22/5/20 1:00 pm, williamwright wrote:
On 22/05/2020 01:47, Commander Kinsey wrote:

On that subject, I was once told it's impossible to pee with an
erection. Discuss.

So you've never had an erection?

Bill

Impossible for him to get an erection, he doesn't have a dick.

Then the appropriate word would be "she". Please learn basic English.

Mea culpa, the word I should have used is *it* since you've obviously
been castrated.

If you get your dick removed, you're now female. I don't believe in this mid-gender new age ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0lwbk2dvwdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

Anyone with even half a clue in that situation would have a
smart doorbell which allows you to talk to the person who
has pressed the doorbell or knocked on the door using
your phone. And that works when you are in the garden
etc too and when you arent even home and need to tell\
them where to leave it so it doesn't get stolen etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

There are plenty old folk who don't even have a mobile phone, let alone a smartphone, or know how to do fancy **** like that. My next door neighbour doesn't even have an internet connection! You really do live in a world of your own.
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default The Two Trolling Resident Sociopaths together again!

On Tue, 9 Jun 2020 05:15:19 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two subnormal sociopathic cretins' endless absolutely idiotic
blather

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0lwmh3n4wdg98l@glass...

wrote:

On 22/5/20 1:00 pm, williamwright wrote:
On 22/05/2020 01:47, Commander Kinsey wrote:

On that subject, I was once told it's impossible to pee with an
erection. Discuss.

So you've never had an erection?

Bill

Impossible for him to get an erection, he doesn't have a dick.

Then the appropriate word would be "she". Please learn basic English.

Mea culpa, the word I should have used is *it* since you've obviously
been castrated.

If you get your dick removed, you're now female.

Nope, just dickless. You arent female until you have a **** and tits.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 16:19:24 -0400, Ralph Mowery, another brain dead,
troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered:

Just like someone in the Federal Government stated when it came to the
medicare insurance. They said the people could look it up on the
internet. I bet half of the ones on medicare don't have the internet,
or if they do would never find the information.

Interesting idiotic senile "discussion", troll-feeding senile asshole! tsk
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 22/5/20 1:00 pm, williamwright wrote:
On 22/05/2020 01:47, Commander Kinsey wrote:

On that subject, I was once told it's impossible to pee with an
erection. Discuss.

So you've never had an erection?

Bill

Impossible for him to get an erection, he doesn't have a dick.

Then the appropriate word would be "she". Please learn basic English.

Mea culpa, the word I should have used is *it* since you've obviously
been castrated.

If you get your dick removed, you're now female.

Nope, just dickless. You arent female until you have a **** and tits.

What would you call a flat chested woman?
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0lwrwtpywdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

No reason why they cant get one when they need to do something
like that when they are no longer as mobile as they used to be.

let alone a smartphone, or know how to do fancy **** like that.

Trivial to learn how to with the best designs. It
rings like a phone call with a different ring tone.

My next door neighbour doesn't even have an internet connection!

Don't need one for that.

You really do live in a world of your own.

Nope, lots of them sold now.

The best of them like the arlos even work out if its a
delivery monkey or just a jovey and ignores the joveys.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Not everyone loves technology like you. When they get old they can't be bothered with all that ****.

let alone a smartphone, or know how to do fancy **** like that.

Trivial to learn how to with the best designs. It
rings like a phone call with a different ring tone.

And then you have to have it with you.

My next door neighbour doesn't even have an internet connection!

Don't need one for that.

Not my point. I was stating that they don't want modern technology. They can't even tune their TV FFS.

You really do live in a world of your own.

Nope, lots of them sold now.

Not to old fashioned old people.

The best of them like the arlos even work out if its a
delivery monkey or just a jovey and ignores the joveys.

Then you don't have the fun of telling them to **** off.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

[snip]

The other two things that annoy me are "next wednesday" and 6/8/2020.
Both can apparently be ambiguous, but I always use the logical one.

I almost always use "next Wednesday" fro the next day (after today)
that's a Wednesday, but have heard it for the Wednesday after that so if
it's important I would try to add additional information like: next
Wednesday (the 10th).

"6/8/2020" is less ambiguous that "6/8/20" (where 20 could be a day). I
try to use the month abbreviation (Jun) and all 4 digits for the year.
Either "Jun 6 2020" or "6 Jun 2020" could be read unambiguously. The
little-endian form (6 Jun 2020) seems a little more readable since
there's better separation between the numerals.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the
Almighty Creator." -- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, pp, 46
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On 6/8/20 11:32 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

[snip]

I never did understand why people would build a house with all the
bedrooms upstairs.* Fine maybe for the younger, but not the older.

Because the bedrooms are the least accessed room.* Makes sense to put
kitchen, lounge, bathroom downstairs to reduce the number of times you
go up and down the stairs.

You need bathrooms on both levels.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the
Almighty Creator." -- Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, pp, 46
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

newsp.0lwvnbf1wdg98l@glass...

wrote:

[...]

But those with a clue who find that the stairlift is too slow
when they are upstairs and someone rings the doorbell
may well find it useful when someone suggests it.

When they get old they can't be bothered with all that ****.

That's bull****. When my dad's second wife ended up with
severe emphysema, he got one of the first big multi box
mobile phones in the car so she could call him if she had
a problem when he was out and about in the car.

Then after she had died, and he had moved into a big
retirement village, he got a small modern mobile phone
so he could call someone if he had a fall when out walking.

And that village had a full licensed on site restaurant which
had specials for the residents that they delivered in golf carts.
When I showed up after he had stormed out of the hospital
after a fall, there was a massive stack of the orders he had
done most weeks for those specials. He filled out the order
on his mac, printed it out and faxed it to the restaurant.
That was when he was in his 80s

let alone a smartphone, or know how to do fancy **** like that.

Trivial to learn how to with the best designs. It
rings like a phone call with a different ring tone.

And then you have to have it with you.

Just a lot close than downstairs, stupid.

My next door neighbour doesn't even have an internet connection!

Don't need one for that.

Not my point. I was stating that they don't want modern technology.

Plenty of them do. My back neighbour who I used to provide
free internet for has just added her own broadband and she
is in her 70s, So have all the older garage salers.

They can't even tune their TV FFS.

Sure, buy that's a different issue to having a mobile or internet,

ALL if the old people I know do except for one and his wife does.

You really do live in a world of your own.

Nope, lots of them sold now.

Not to old fashioned old people.

Plenty are to old people.

The best of them like the arlos even work out if its a
delivery monkey or just a jovey and ignores the joveys.

Then you don't have the fun of telling them to **** off.

You are free to do that without having to fart around with the stairlift.

Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Jun 2020 16:08:45 -0500, Mark Lloyd, another absolutely brain
dead, troll-feeding, senile cretin, drivelled:

I almost always use "next Wednesday" fro the next day (after today)

You still don't realize that the unwashed ****** is using YOU for his
purpose, senile sucker of troll cock? G

What mostly makes a small engine "wheeze" fast & slow, fast & slow, fast & slow? ultred ragnusen Home Repair 32 February 26th 18 08:29 PM
Fourteen stairlifts replace lift at Paisley tower block Part Timer UK diy 31 September 4th 11 01:42 PM
Slow, slow, slow charlieb Woodturning 5 October 14th 09 05:43 PM
Residential Stairlifts TroutFisher Home Repair 9 July 8th 07 06:34 PM
Residential Stairlifts TroutFisherMan Home Ownership 0 July 7th 07 04:53 PM