Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Why did drainpipes used to have a box on the wall?

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 22/04/2020 09:00, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/04/2020 00:38, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:38:45 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jf3czzywdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 23:18:03 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0jfz15ntwdg98l@glass...
On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 22:10:12 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

Don't most people do a **** a day?

But don't use every dunny for that every day,

U-bends mean it doesn't matter if every pipe isn't fresh.

He didn't mean fresh in that sense, turds and **** lying in
the sewer past the bend for weeks or months. That doesn't
happen with the rain water and sewer are the one pipe.

If they're past the bend who cares?

Those who have to unblock them.

Blockages are caused by toilet paper, not ****.

most obviously with the dunny in the shed etc. The block of flats I
lived
in before building the house actually had a dunny for the gardener.

Aren't all Aussie dunnies in the shed?

They never were in the shed when we had dunny
carts collecting the **** and **** that was in tins under
the seat and emptied weekly into the dunny cart.
https://www.google.com/search?q=dunn...ralia&tbm=isch

Great job, eh ?

What about outhouses?

We call those dunnys. Only the yanks have outhouses.

I thought any toilet was a dunny, no matter if it's indoors or outdoors.

a cludgy if you don't mind ...

or should that be cludgie ...think so

Naw - 'nettie'.
--