Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What are these steel channels I see attached to electric poles?

I've noticed that many wooden electric poles here have recently been
updated with a steel channel, double u shaped, about ten inches wide,
extending from some level in the ground up the side of the pole to
about 5 ft high. It's stamped out of one piece, but if you imagine
two pieces of steel channel about 5" wide laid side by side, vertically along the
pole, it's like that. They are held in place by two heavy metal bands
that go around the pole. The top has a sheet metal cover over it, nailed
in place. They had crews here last summer digging around the poles.
I also noticed that the poles have new steel screw plugs, about 3/4",
maybe two feet above ground level. There is no wire or anything running
into or out of it. I can't figure out what this is
all about, but I'm wondering did they do test boring to find out which
poles have termites or something? And the mysterious channels could be
a delivery vehicle for insecticide, where they put stuff in the channel
at the top and it dispenses? Whatever it is, maybe one pole out of
six or so has it added. I thought it might be to add some kind of
crash protection, but then some are on the side facing the direction
of traffic, others are on the opposite side and it doesn't seem likely
that it would really do anything for that. Anyone see similar or
have ideas?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 17:06:49 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

I've noticed that many wooden electric poles here have recently been
updated with a steel channel, double u shaped, about ten inches wide,
extending from some level in the ground up the side of the pole to about
5 ft high. It's stamped out of one piece, but if you imagine two pieces
of steel channel about 5" wide laid side by side, vertically along the
pole, it's like that. etc

Drunk Driver Deflectors? :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 used his or her keyboard to write :
[...]

https://www.borderstates.com/UserFil.../OSMO00001.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 20:21:50 -0400, FromTheRafters
wrote:

[...]

It's basically a piece of Armco strapped to the pole to re-enforce
it - prevents snapping or twisting in high wind loads and extends the
life of the wooden pole
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is just ****ing on the fire until they get around to replacing the
pole. We lost a few of them in Irma but the one right around the way
from me survived. I suspect it was the direction of the guy wire and
the direction of the wind in the eye wall tho.

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/pole%20repair.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, April 27, 2020 at 8:21:55 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's it, thank you. So it's a truss designed to add strength and
extend the life of poles that are deteriorating. This is something new
here, never saw them before.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Your photo sure makes it look like a band-aid fix.
But I suspect that the labour & machinery to do it isn't
real expensive - like pole replacement.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 brought next idea :
[...]

I couldn't visualize the double U description, but the rest of what you
described sounded like a splint for mending bones straight or
immobilizing a joint. We call them 'telephone poles' around here, but I
think officially they are 'utility poles' so I looked up 'utility pole
splint' and got lucky with that photograph there. It looks something
like the metal used for guardrails being repurposed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 8:37:11 AM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:
trader_4 brought next idea :
[...]

That's definitely what it is. Only difference these are spray painted
brown and have a little cap/hood nailed over the top. Not sure what the
idea to that is, keep rain out? But it's open at the bottom and 5 ft+
into the ground, so it would not seem to matter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

So if it is infinitely strong, it has the same effect as shortening the pole by 5 feet. I'm skeptical they do much. I haven't seen any in my area, but they're pretty quick to replace poles on schedule.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 explained on 4/28/2020 :
[...]

Maybe the cap is to keep critters out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 8:46:59 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
So if it is infinitely strong, it has the same effect as shortening the pole by 5 feet. I'm skeptical they do much. I haven't seen any in my area, but they're pretty quick to replace poles on schedule.

I think the real effect is that if it's infinitely strong, it replaces the
deteriorating lower section of the pole, including the part that's starting
to rot in the ground. I would expect there would be data showing it works.
It would be stupid for utility companies to be doing it on a wing and a prayer.
It still must cost a considerable sum, but much less than the cost of a new pole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 writes:
[...]

The cap is probably for safety, like the plastic orange caps for
re-rod and fence posts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/28/2020 10:43 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
trader_4 writes:
[...]

Absolutely! If you climb the pole and then slide down, without the cap
you nuts could get caught on the top opening. Oh, that would hurt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"FromTheRafters" wrote in message
[...]

But no cap at the bottom doesn't.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 03:55:46 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They do it without touching the power lines so the folks doing it are
pretty much just laborers, not union linesmen.
There is also no interruption to power and that makes the customer
happy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 05:42:40 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Like this
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/pole%20repair.jpg

Poles typically go bad right at the surface so it is a fairly good
band aid, at least for a while. The poles I see them patching are
creosote so that makes them at least 40 years old and the pole in that
picture was far from a virgin 36 years ago when I moved here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 06:02:07 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 8:46:59 AM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
So if it is infinitely strong, it has the same effect as shortening the pole by 5 feet. I'm skeptical they do much. I haven't seen any in my area, but they're pretty quick to replace poles on schedule.

I think the real effect is that if it's infinitely strong, it replaces the
deteriorating lower section of the pole, including the part that's starting
to rot in the ground. I would expect there would be data showing it works.
It would be stupid for utility companies to be doing it on a wing and a prayer.
It still must cost a considerable sum, but much less than the cost of a new pole.

I was here watching them do the one near my house. They just drive the
guardrail metal down with a power hammer and strap it to the pole.
Then nail on the cap. The whole process took less than a half hour.
These guys probably do 10 or more a day. It took them almost as long
to do the surveys to see which poles needed it. They had to dig and do
some physical testing of the wood for that. The guy said they only
look at the first foot or two because that is where the problem is. A
few feet down the poles are solid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, April 28, 2020 at 4:36:29 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was here watching them do the one near my house. They just drive the
guardrail metal down with a power hammer and strap it to the pole.
Then nail on the cap. The whole process took less than a half hour.
These guys probably do 10 or more a day. It took them almost as long
to do the surveys to see which poles needed it. They had to dig and do
some physical testing of the wood for that. The guy said they only
look at the first foot or two because that is where the problem is. A
few feet down the poles are solid.

Walking the dog yesterday, we heard a woodpecker hammering away and it had to be on a telephone pole, but I had trouble spotting it. Finally with some help we saw it. It was at the very top of a pole, and it had excavated far enough in that only its tail feathers showed. The power company had already set a new pole next to it, just hadn't transferred the wires yet, so they knew how bad the pole was. But if they rot from the bottom up, that one had to be pretty bad.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 29 Apr 2020 05:44:18 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

[...]

The pdf file listed in this thread had a section on woodpecker repair,
with a drawing or two.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That just meant that the creosote had oxidized to the point that bugs
were living in the pole. Woodpecker damage is pretty common in old
poles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 7:44:23 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
[...]

I have seen poles with chicken wire wrapped around it. Might be to keep woodpeckers away.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 6:10:28 AM UTC-5, FromTheRafters wrote:
Andy wrote on 4/29/2020 :
[...]

I do not understand your use of wiretapping?

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote on 4/29/2020 :
[...]

Woodpeckers, wire, tapping. It was a play on words.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd never seen these channels until you mentioned it.

There are two poles like that on the block where I live. They're obviously new, judging from the soil pile where the bottom edge goes in.

The poles themselves are heavily scarred with spike marks. These poles have been climbed many times by linemen. I can't remember when I last saw someone climb a pole, everybody uses a bucket truck now. I don't know if they even train people to do it anymore. I imagine the oldtimers could tell some stories about it. At any rate, that probably says something about the age of the poles. I wonder if the spike marks increase the decay rate of the poles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote on 4/29/2020 :
[...]

It was a VERY clever play on words (well, one word!) ;-)

Here's the original post:-

http://al.howardknight.net/?ID=158842525600

Has anybody suggested that the OP should take a photograph of the pole,
with embelishments, post it to somewhere like this https://imgbb.com and
then post a link to the photograph so that everyone may view it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote on 4/29/2020 :
[...]

I already posted this but it is the repair they did to the pole on the
corner down the street from me

http://gfretwell.com/electrical/pole%20repair.jpg

Liberals see government the way kids see Santa burfordTjustice Home Repair 0 December 26th 16 10:57 AM
Window that you can see out but not see in MiamiCuse Home Repair 24 December 12th 16 04:14 PM
steel poles gregz Home Repair 9 May 26th 12 06:21 AM
guys wanna see BEAUTIFUL PICS OF BOLLYWOOD ACTERSS SEE IN THIS SITE [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 24th 07 04:51 PM
Windows Cleaning - Source of 'extension poles' and are they any good? StevieBoy UK diy 2 July 25th 03 09:50 PM