DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/648191-uses-neodymium-disc-magnets.html)

Andy[_35_] April 22nd 20 03:36 AM

Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets

I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a time separating them.

Andy

Bob F April 22nd 20 06:51 AM

On 4/21/2020 7:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a time separating them.

Andy

I have 3 about 2x3x 1/2" stuck together. I am going to have to make a
special tool to get them apart. I have to be REALLY careful around any
iron of any size not to get pinched.

[email protected] April 22nd 20 12:30 PM

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 22:51:15 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 4/21/2020 7:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.
I used some for holding tools.
I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.
I was incredulous for the holding power of them.
After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a time separating them.
Andy

I have 3 about 2x3x 1/2" stuck together. I am going to have to make a
special tool to get them apart. I have to be REALLY careful around any
iron of any size not to get pinched.

One word - " magnet fishing " !

https://tinyurl.com/s325sgc

.... you never know what you'll catch !

John T.

Ralph Mowery April 22nd 20 03:28 PM

Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets

In article , says...

On 4/21/2020 7:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a time separating them.

Andy

I have 3 about 2x3x 1/2" stuck together. I am going to have to make a
special tool to get them apart. I have to be REALLY careful around any
iron of any size not to get pinched.

The computer hard drives have some very powerful magnets in them.

Bod[_3_] April 22nd 20 03:36 PM

Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets

On 22/04/2020 15:28, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

On 4/21/2020 7:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a time separating them.

Andy

I have 3 about 2x3x 1/2" stuck together. I am going to have to make a
special tool to get them apart. I have to be REALLY careful around any
iron of any size not to get pinched.

The computer hard drives have some very powerful magnets in them.

Yup and they are nedymium mags. I've got several out of old hard drives.

--
Bod

FromTheRafters April 22nd 20 04:36 PM

Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets

Ralph Mowery presented the following explanation :
In article , says...

On 4/21/2020 7:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a time
separating them.

Andy

I have 3 about 2x3x 1/2" stuck together. I am going to have to make a
special tool to get them apart. I have to be REALLY careful around any
iron of any size not to get pinched.

The computer hard drives have some very powerful magnets in them.

Microwave ovens too.

Bob F April 22nd 20 06:27 PM

On 4/21/2020 7:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a
time separating them.

Andy

I have 3 about 2x3x 1/2" stuck together. I am going to have to make a
special tool to get them apart.* I have to be REALLY careful around
any iron of any size not to get pinched.

The computer hard drives have some very powerful magnets in them.

Microwave ovens too.

These ones of mine probably have a pull on the order of 150+ lbs.

KenK April 22nd 20 06:46 PM

Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets

Andy wrote in
:

I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a
time separating them.

Andy

Got any kids? I used to love to play with magnets when I was a kid.
Excellent toy.

Mark Lloyd[_12_] April 22nd 20 09:46 PM

Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets

On 4/22/20 9:28 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

[snip]

The computer hard drives have some very powerful magnets in them.

Yes, and also shake flashlights.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from
a religious conviction" [Pascal, Pensees (1670)]

FromTheRafters April 22nd 20 10:01 PM

Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets

Bob F brought next idea :

On 4/21/2020 7:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a
time separating them.

Andy

I have 3 about 2x3x 1/2" stuck together. I am going to have to make a
special tool to get them apart.* I have to be REALLY careful around any
iron of any size not to get pinched.

The computer hard drives have some very powerful magnets in them.

Microwave ovens too.

These ones of mine probably have a pull on the order of 150+ lbs.

I once had the horseshoe magnets from an sps-40 radar. Went to the
local pier and fished for tackle. Those were AlNiCo IIRC and todays
rare earth magnets are quite surprisingly strong.

Bob F April 22nd 20 10:34 PM

Uses for Neodymium Disc Magnets

On 4/22/2020 10:46 AM, KenK wrote:
Andy wrote in
:

I bought some 1.5 inch Neodymium Disc Magnets.

I used some for holding tools.

I am looking for other ideas for what to use them for.

I was incredulous for the holding power of them.

After removing the separators between two of them, I had a heck of a
time separating them.

Andy

Got any kids? I used to love to play with magnets when I was a kid.
Excellent toy.

They do make excellent nail finders for walls.

These super powerful magnets are not a good thing around small kids.
They can be dangerous, especially if swallowed. Or pushed up the nose,
for older "kids" playing with them for viruses.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-52094804