Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What about peened grab bars?

I actually slipped** in the bathtub a couple weeks ago and fell, on my
back, beetween the tub and the toilet.

Fortunately not hurt at all, not dirty, not even disgusting.

But it's going to get harder in the next 10 or 20 years so I want a grab
bar.

What is the difference between stainless and peened, in terms of grab
bars, and which one is better for a bathtub? (For baths, fwiw. I
have a designated shower for showers.)

peened
https://www.amazon.com/Moen-R8924P-P...4882094&sr=8-4

stainless
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

**Actually, to solve that problem, I got a vinyl bathmat. It's as long
as the tub, but I'm cutting it in half so it won't be where I sit or
slide down, so it will still be comfortable. When I'm getting in or
out, I'll stand nearer the drain end. For 35 years I'd been thinking
about those abrasive stick-on things, but a friend convinced me they
don't come off when you want them to and they make lying down or moving
while on one's back uncomfortable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/2020 9:12 AM, micky wrote:

[...]

I have the peened. The stainless look prettier but the peened give a
little better grip, IMO.

Consider putting on or two in the shower also. Both my showers are
large so there is a long bar in the back and a shorter bar at the
entrance. The small shower is 60" and the master bath is 80". We have
no tub.

I also had bars put in the water closet. My wife needed them to get up
and down but I use them too.

You can find where they should be located on line. For a tub, I'd want a
vertical bar to help getting in and then a horizontal bar to help
getting up and down. My vertical bars are 18".

This area has a large older population and I just called Mr Grab Bar and
he installed them for a reasonable price.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:28:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I put the white ones in here at the wife's insistence but I put the
peened in at the FIL's. He does need them the most tho. The grip is
more important to him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:28:36 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 3/22/2020 9:12 AM, micky wrote:

I actually slipped** in the bathtub a couple weeks ago and fell, on my
back, beetween the tub and the toilet.

Fortunately not hurt at all, not dirty, not even disgusting.

But it's going to get harder in the next 10 or 20 years so I want a grab
bar.

What is the difference between stainless and peened, in terms of grab
bars, and which one is better for a bathtub? (For baths, fwiw. I
have a designated shower for showers.)

peened
https://www.amazon.com/Moen-R8924P-P...4882094&sr=8-4

stainless
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...DKIKX0DER&th=1

I have the peened. The stainless look prettier but the peened give a
little better grip, IMO.

This is the way Lowe's puts it, "Then decide whether the bar finish can
be a glossy piece of bathroom bling or if it needs to be textured for
better grip by wet hands."

I didn't see peened on Amazon and already bought smooth, but it's
specifcially marked returnable and I have 3 weeks to return it.

It's going to be close to perpendicular to my arm when I pull myself up.

Is it worth the trouble to get the peened version?? If you were me.

Consider putting on or two in the shower also. Both my showers are
large so there is a long bar in the back and a shorter bar at the
entrance.

My back and entrance are practically at the same place.

My big problem in the shower is when the shampoo gets in my eyes and I
close them. Then I start to fall over. I may switch back to baby
shampoo to avoid this.

The small shower is 60" and the master bath is 80". We have
no tub.

I also had bars put in the water closet. My wife needed them to get up
and down but I use them too.

You can find where they should be located on line. For a tub, I'd want a

I didn't think to look there! Quite helpful.

vertical bar to help getting in and then a horizontal bar to help
getting up and down. My vertical bars are 18".

This area has a large older population and I just called Mr Grab Bar and
he installed them for a reasonable price.

So two clues that you're in Florida.

The tub has always seemed risky. The bottom sides are curved, so one
has to stand maybe 3" from the where the outer wall would be if it were
straight up and down, and then the wall itself is 2+" thick. Then when
you lift one leg to put it down on the floor and you have all your
weight one one leg but outside the tub, 8" from the foot one is standing
one, the "horizontal moment" (is that the term?) the horizontal force of
a primarily vertical force is pretty strong, pushing the leg one is
standing on further into the tub. I've slipped a couple inches many
times, just as the other foot lands on the floor.

And the cleaner the tub is, the slicker it is. I told my mother that's
why I kept it dirty, for safety. I don't remember her answer. I can
only imagine a wife's answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I'd probably stick with what you have if you can grip it well enough.

The tub has always seemed risky. The bottom sides are curved, so one
has to stand maybe 3" from the where the outer wall would be if it were
straight up and down, and then the wall itself is 2+" thick. Then when
you lift one leg to put it down on the floor and you have all your
weight one one leg but outside the tub, 8" from the foot one is standing
one, the "horizontal moment" (is that the term?) the horizontal force of
a primarily vertical force is pretty strong, pushing the leg one is
standing on further into the tub. I've slipped a couple inches many
times, just as the other foot lands on the floor.

And the cleaner the tub is, the slicker it is. I told my mother that's
why I kept it dirty, for safety. I don't remember her answer. I can
only imagine a wife's answer.

Yep, exactly why you need them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Peened is better if it is mounted vertically, Horizontally it may
really not make that much difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 22 Mar 2020 22:28:09 -0400,
wrote:

[...]

I think my grip is as strong as ever, but I'm probably kidding myself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/22/20 9:12 AM, micky wrote:
[...]

It's easier to stand up when reasonably sober.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/22/2020 09:44 PM, micky wrote:
This is the way Lowe's puts it, "Then decide whether the bar finish can
be a glossy piece of bathroom bling or if it needs to be textured for
better grip by wet hands."

If smooth turns out to be a problem get some of the textured grip tape
used on tennis rackets and those evil black guns.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

More information:
https://www.mrgrabbar.com/Manatee-Co...tion_a/267.htm

How many grab bars do I need in my shower?
We typically put in 2 grab bars in a small to medium shower or tub, and
often place 3 or more grab bars in a larger shower. We believe that it
is extremely important to have a grab bar placed at the entry and exit
point of the shower. In some cases we may actually place a grab bar just
inside and another just outside the shower when entering the shower is
difficult for our client.

Where else do you often suggest placing grab bars?
We often place 1 or 2 grab bars beside the toilet in a variety of
configurations. Our installers would be glad to discuss placement with
you and offer suggestions. It is also common for us to place grab bars
in hallways, and garage and lanai entries when considerable assistance
or precaution is needed.

What finishes do you recommend?
Although we offer grab bars in a very wide variety finishes and styles,
we find that the grab bar we install most frequently is the peened
anti-slip stainless grab bar. It is stylish and provides an excellent
gripping surface

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot. I looked at MrGrabber but missed this part which is right
on point. I had noticed that the stainless had quite few more reviews
than the peened, but that is just what people buy, not what a company
recommands whose whole business is built around grab bars.

Even though I have the box it came in, when I had to repack and ship a
return myself, I almost never would have done it. Even to local stores
I rarely return anything.

I'm very, very, very weak** at cleaning. DOES IT GET DIRTY IN BETWEEN
THE LITTLE BUMPS?

**And for a couple reasons I can't hire a maid now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Mar 2020 11:05:33 -0400, micky
wrote:

What finishes do you recommend?
Although we offer grab bars in a very wide variety finishes and styles,
we find that the grab bar we install most frequently is the peened
anti-slip stainless grab bar. It is stylish and provides an excellent
gripping surface

Thanks a lot. I looked at MrGrabber but missed this part which is right
on point. I had noticed that the stainless had quite few more reviews
than the peened, but that is just what people buy, not what a company
recommands whose whole business is built around grab bars.

Even though I have the box it came in, when I had to repack and ship a
return myself, I almost never would have done it. Even to local stores
I rarely return anything.

I'm very, very, very weak** at cleaning. DOES IT GET DIRTY IN BETWEEN
THE LITTLE BUMPS?

Not at all. Never did any special cleaning on them. Never saw any
dirt on them really. Not a concern.

I do have a cleaning lady. If you can afford it, amazing how well a
good one cleans. Mine spends three hours. When she is done, the
kitchen and baths looks like the day we moved in. Changes bed sheets,
cleans ceiling fans, you name it.

**And for a couple reasons I can't hire a maid now.