Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sch 80 threads in sch 40 fittings.

Has anyone else had problems with leaks when you screw a Sch 80 PVC
into a sch 40 (white) fitting? It doesn't seem to matter no tape, the
right amount of tape or a **** load of tape, they leak. You can run
them up until there no threads left and they still leak.
I am not sure if this is a vendor problem or just something that
happens. I am gluing them now.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 21 Mar 2020 10:37:45 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 3/21/2020 12:22 AM, wrote:
Has anyone else had problems with leaks when you screw a Sch 80 PVC
into a sch 40 (white) fitting? It doesn't seem to matter no tape, the
right amount of tape or a **** load of tape, they leak. You can run
them up until there no threads left and they still leak.
I am not sure if this is a vendor problem or just something that
happens. I am gluing them now.

Agree w/ fretwell; one or the other is wrong; by spec they should be
fine (other than the fittings aren't rated for service, but presuming
the leak test isn't above their ratings mechanical fit should be same).

Probably cheap import QA of one or the other; no way to guess which w/o
trying another supply of one or the other.

It's never wise to use a female Sch 40 fitting on a male Sch 80 pipe
end; other way round is safer altho still the fitting itself isn't rated.

Unless, of course, there's really no need for the Sch 80 at all in the
specific service other than perhaps just have on hand; the pressure
rating will never be approached.

This was just the classic, "what they stock locally" and with this
virus thing I didn't want to be driving all over town.
Ace will pick and give it to you in your car, prepaid online.
I really only needed one threaded fitting in the line and I still
ended up with one I didn't have to glue but it did seem strange that
this failed on 3 different joints in 2 sizes (3/4 and 1/2)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2020 12:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

Why not? It's just the flu and we shouldn't shut down the economy,
that's what you said here. Sounds like reality is setting in. But
I have to say, you were partly right about Spring Break, with young
adults on the beach. I didn't realize both college kids and your
state govt were so irresponsible. I think many of those areas with
beaches open had bars and clubs, etc closed, I guess that's better
than nothing.

Ace will pick and give it to you in your car, prepaid online.
I really only needed one threaded fitting in the line and I still
ended up with one I didn't have to glue but it did seem strange that
this failed on 3 different joints in 2 sizes (3/4 and 1/2)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/21/2020 12:22 AM, wrote:
[...]

You are just trolling now. I said a week ago I am following the rules,
probably better than you.

BTW these college kids are from the north for the most part and "going
home" is not that easy for them since their tickets are for next week.