Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Mounting security light

Recounting a security light on the side of the house that has been down for a while. The housing of the light looks like some sort of cast pot-metal clamps to a 1.6" metal arm.
I need 2 bolts to hold the clamp in place and enter into pre-threaded holes in the light housing.

Question: Do I need to use stainless steel bolts to keep the bolts from croading away at the metal housing ?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Stainless is preferable and will last longer, but typically just zinc coated are used.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 08:55:40 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

Stainless is preferable and will last longer, but typically just zinc coated are used.

That is why it is so hard to get the covers off or remove the
luminaire later. If this is not considered disposable, use stainless
screws everywhere you want it to come apart later.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Through trial and error I have determined that the threads are 7mm, I can find that size in zinc, but not in stainless.

The bolts come through the top of flange of the light casing and are exposed above.

Is there something I can cover them with to protect them from the elements ?

Should I just tape them up real well w/blk electrical tape ?

Where can I find 7mm stainless ?

Thanks to everyone that contributed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

No, its mounted on a poll. Very exposed !
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2020 3:48 PM, dpb wrote:

I'd probably retap to something sensible like 1/4-18 and then use brass
or bronze, SS is likely to set up galvanic reaction anyway.Â* Unless it's
really heavy or subject to some other loading issues, nylon would work.

Actually, M7 is too big for 1/4 (and the 18 above was a typo for 28)...

A drill size F (0.2570) for 5/16-18 NC or I (0.2720) for 5/16-24 NF
would be next.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Install per instructions. The light will fail before needing to be replaced.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks, I'll chk Ace tomorrow.