Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garlic and onions

Hi All,

We had some warm weather earlier this week and my garlic
had a growth spurt. They are now 6 to 8 inches tall.
So I figured it was time to plant my yellow onions
balls from Wally World. Spread out a bunch of fertilizer
and dug it in.

The soil felt wonderful to the touch!

And to my surprise, the green onions (scallions) I have
in my feral bin are not 1 to 18 inches tall. Today we
had some snow, that I went out and harvested any green
onions branches/leaves that had bent over in the snow.

And the snow will be a perfect snow watering of my onions.

So, my first harvest this year was in the snow!

I have a good feeling about this year!

:-)

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-03-15 01:09, T wrote:
Hi All,

We had some warm weather earlier this week and my garlic
had a growth spurt.Â* They are now 6 to 8 inches tall.
So I figured it was time to plant my yellow onions
balls from Wally World.Â* Spread out a bunch of fertilizer
and dug it in.

The soil felt wonderful to the touch!

And to my surprise, the green onions (scallions) I have
in my feral bin are not 1 to 18 inches tall.Â* Today we
had some snow, that I went out and harvested any green
onions branches/leaves that had bent over in the snow.

And the snow will be a perfect snow watering of my onions.

So, my first harvest this year was in the snow!

I have a good feeling about this year!

:-)

-T

Oops! That was suppose to go to rec.gardens.edible

:'(

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-03-15 01:09, T wrote:
Hi All,

We had some warm weather earlier this week and my garlic
had a growth spurt.Â* They are now 6 to 8 inches tall.
So I figured it was time to plant my yellow onions
balls from Wally World.Â* Spread out a bunch of fertilizer
and dug it in.

The soil felt wonderful to the touch!

And to my surprise, the green onions (scallions) I have
in my feral bin are not 1 to 18 inches tall.Â* Today we
had some snow, that I went out and harvested any green
onions branches/leaves that had bent over in the snow.

And the snow will be a perfect snow watering of my onions.

So, my first harvest this year was in the snow!

I have a good feeling about this year!

:-)

-T

Oops! That was suppose to go to rec.gardens.edible

:'(

I don't mind. It's a little cold here to see much growth, but the
feral garlic seems to be doing great. I'm tempted to pull back
the mulch from the garlic I planted last fall to see how it's
doing.

If it's a little warmer next weekend, I will do some pruning (red-twig
dogwood) and trim back the dead stuff on the thyme.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-03-15 01:09, T wrote:
Hi All,

We had some warm weather earlier this week and my garlic
had a growth spurt.Â* They are now 6 to 8 inches tall.
So I figured it was time to plant my yellow onions
balls from Wally World.Â* Spread out a bunch of fertilizer
and dug it in.

The soil felt wonderful to the touch!

And to my surprise, the green onions (scallions) I have
in my feral bin are not 1 to 18 inches tall.Â* Today we
had some snow, that I went out and harvested any green
onions branches/leaves that had bent over in the snow.

And the snow will be a perfect snow watering of my onions.

So, my first harvest this year was in the snow!

I have a good feeling about this year!

:-)

-T

Oops! That was suppose to go to rec.gardens.edible

:'(

I was disappointed.
I saw this in the "All Covid All the Time" newsgroup and I was hoping
it was the cure for the virus.
I have a necklace of garlic on just in case.
At least the vampires will leave me alone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/15/2020 07:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I don't mind. It's a little cold here to see much growth, but the
feral garlic seems to be doing great. I'm tempted to pull back
the mulch from the garlic I planted last fall to see how it's
doing.

Do deer like garlic? I'm not being facetious. Every spring I think about
planting a little garden but the I realize that means building a better
wall than Trump has managed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/15/2020 1:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/15/2020 07:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I don't mind.Â* It's a little cold here to see much growth, but the
feral garlic seems to be doing great.Â* I'm tempted to pull back
the mulch from the garlic I planted last fall to see how it's
doing.

Do deer like garlic? I'm not being facetious. Every spring I think about
planting a little garden but the I realize that means building a better
wall than Trump has managed.

I do not think so. When I had a garden they only thing they did not eat
were onions so I suppose garlic would be safe too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/15/2020 11:39 AM, Frank wrote:
On 3/15/2020 1:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/15/2020 07:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I don't mind. It's a little cold here to see much growth, but the
feral garlic seems to be doing great. I'm tempted to pull back
the mulch from the garlic I planted last fall to see how it's
doing.

Do deer like garlic? I'm not being facetious. Every spring I think
about planting a little garden but the I realize that means building a
better wall than Trump has managed.

I do not think so. When I had a garden they only thing they did not eat
were onions so I suppose garlic would be safe too.

Maybe I'll try a test planting. When I cook, unless I'm making pancakes,
the procedure starts with slicing up a few cloves of garlic and an
onion. Sometimes two onions if they are small.

Come to think of it wild onions don't get eaten.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-03-15 14:13, rbowman wrote:
On 03/15/2020 11:39 AM, Frank wrote:
On 3/15/2020 1:30 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 03/15/2020 07:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
I don't mind.Â* It's a little cold here to see much growth, but the
feral garlic seems to be doing great.Â* I'm tempted to pull back
the mulch from the garlic I planted last fall to see how it's
doing.

Do deer like garlic? I'm not being facetious. Every spring I think
about planting a little garden but the I realize that means building a
better wall than Trump has managed.

I do not think so.Â* When I had a garden they only thing they did not eat
were onions so I suppose garlic would be safe too.

Maybe I'll try a test planting. When I cook, unless I'm making pancakes,
the procedure starts with slicing up a few cloves of garlic and an
onion. Sometimes two onions if they are small.

Come to think of it wild onions don't get eaten.

Fresh garlic from the garden is a real treat.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-03-15 01:09, T wrote:
Hi All,

[...]

Garlic is proof God love us, but beer.

A month ago I had that nasty upper respiratory track with the soar
throat and the cough. Since I love garlic and knew I was not going
anywhere any time soon and did not have to worry about being anti
social, I tonned some on something I was eating. And to my surprise, it
nail the soar throat in about a half hour. Still had the cough though.

And not to start a run on garlic, but there is some science
to back garlic as a virucidal and why those weird extracts don't work:

In vitro virucidal effects of Allium sativum (garlic) extract and compounds:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1470664/

Garlic (Allium sativum) has been shown to have antiviral
activity, but the compounds responsible have not been
identified. Using direct pre-infection incubation assays,
we determined the in vitro virucidal effects of fresh
garlic extract, its polar fraction, and the following
garlic associated compounds: diallyl thiosulfinate
(allicin), allyl methyl thiosulfinate, methyl allyl
thiosulfinate, ajoene, alliin, deoxyalliin, diallyl
disulfide, and diallyl trisulfide. Activity was determined
against selected viruses including, herpes simplex virus
type 1, herpes simplex virus type 2, parainfluenza virus
type 3, vaccinia virus, vesicular stomatitis virus, and
human rhinovirus type 2. The order for virucidal activity
generally was: ajoene allicin allyl methyl
thiosulfinate methyl allyl thiosulfinate. Ajoene was
found in oil-macerates of garlic but not in fresh garlic
extracts. No activity was found for the garlic polar
fraction, alliin, deoxyalliin, diallyl disulfide, or
diallyl trisulfide. Fresh garlic extract, in which
thiosulfinates appeared to be the active components, was
virucidal to each virus tested. The predominant
thiosulfinate in fresh garlic extract was allicin. Lack of
reduction in yields of infectious virus indicated
undetectable levels of intracellular antiviral activity for
either allicin or fresh garlic extract. Furthermore,
concentrations that were virucidal were also toxic to HeLa
and Vero cells. Virucidal assay results were not influenced
by cytotoxicity since the compounds were diluted below
toxic levels prior to assaying for infectious virus. These
results indicate that virucidal activity and cytotoxicity
may have depended upon the viral envelope and cell
membrane, respectively. However, activity against non-
enveloped virus may have been due to inhibition of viral
adsorption or penetration.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250
WORDS).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 15 Mar 2020 15:13:02 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

You have never been to West Virginia. "Ramps" are really big there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-03-15 01:09, T wrote:
Hi All,

[...]

I guess the question is whether eating a lot of garlic gives you
resistance to the virus or just keeps people far enough away not to
infect you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

https://richwoodchamberofcommerce.or...Festivals.html

The Feast hasn't be canceled. Yet.

I meant by the wildlife around here. The onions definitely get eaten
if I find them.

Rabbits eat my onion tops

That's one thing I don't have to worry about. Between the eagles and
coyotes I can't remember the last time I saw a rabbit out here. There
are a couple that hang around at work but living is easier in the city.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2020-03-15 19:54, rbowman wrote:

Rabbits eat my onion tops

That's one thing I don't have to worry about. Between the eagles and
coyotes I can't remember the last time I saw a rabbit out here. There
are a couple that hang around at work but living is easier in the city.

Our coyotes have been doing a stand up job of cleaning up
on local cat population that are allowed to run wild by
their owners. Hey! I don't defecate in your yard. Don't
send your animals to defecate in mine.