Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds
it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment
that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the
ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the
Second World War."
https://www.civicart.org/contemporary-architecture

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was
driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along
with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of
air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth
of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work
that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.

The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in
today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman,
Gothic and a couple I missed architecture. The same group wants to
rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden
is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station
including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of
the building cause that!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 6:28:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds
it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment
that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the
ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the
Second World War."
https://www.civicart.org/contemporary-architecture

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was
driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along
with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of
air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth
of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work
that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.

IDK about Italian artists, but the rest sounds right. But whoever wrote
that BS is a moron. It's been a failure and the public thinks it's ugly?
TWA terminal at JFK has just re-opened as a hotel, preserving that iconic
design. St Louis Arch is ugly? Frank Loyd Wright houses are all ugly?
Can Trump see the Washington monument? That was built much earlier, but it's
a modern architecture looking design.

The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in
today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman,
Gothic and a couple I missed architecture.

Well, that figures. Somehow some kook group got his attention again.
I guess the positive there is it's better those kind on nuts keep him
occupied instead of the Nazis.

The same group wants to
rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden
is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station
including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of
the building cause that!

Penn Station has a lot of problems, but I don't think it's the cause of
many train delays. Trump on the other had is. There was and still is
a plan to essentially expand PS but it needs a new tunnel under the
Hudson. There was an agreement for NY, NJ and the Feds to share the
cost. Trump reneged on that too. so much for infrastructure projects.
At least ones where they don't vote for Dear Leader.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

A welcome change from the ubiquitous tan-on-tan that's every****ingwhere.

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 03:07:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 6:28:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds
it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment
that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the
ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the
Second World War."
https://www.civicart.org/contemporary-architecture

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was
driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along
with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of
air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth
of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work
that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.

BTW, when they added a new simple building to Billings Hospital, at the
U. of Chicago, they did find someone to make 10 feet of stone cornice to
match what was on the original gothic building, for the transition from
one building to the next.

The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in
today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman,
Gothic and a couple I missed architecture. The same group wants to
rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden
is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station
including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of
the building cause that!

In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton

You don't think he has great taste! How plebian of you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

I think his apartment looks like a bordello.

I'm more of a Craftsman type.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Very stylish if the 1700s ever come back. Very appropriate since it
looks similar to some castles in Europe and his desire to be king of the
USA.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2020 04:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

I really liked the decor in the last three photos. The rest is pretty
kitschy.

He does have a point though. When I was in school several of my friends
were in the architectural program and they were required to worship Mies
van der Rohe and Le Corbu, resulting in a generation of Soviet style
Bauhaus cubes.

Then came Pomo which finally degenerated to Deconstructivism, aka how
weird can we make this look?

It was an amazing display of hubris when Hitler instructed Speer to
design buildings that would be picturesque ruins in a thousand years but
it was better than designing eyesores that will be demolished in thirty
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 06:57:02 -0800 (PST), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

You don't think he has great taste! How plebian of you.

I think his apartment looks like a bordello.

But it's a tasteful bordello. The kind any one of his cabinet members
would be happy to ply their trade in.

I'm more of a Craftsman type.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton

I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to decorate their nest. We only write the checks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 10:20:31 AM UTC-5, devnull wrote:
On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton

I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to decorate their nest. We only write the checks.

My husband and I both have input on the decor of our house. I generally
defer to his taste, since his dislikes are stronger than my likes. Not
that our tastes are very far apart, anyway.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:07:37 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
[...]

Good one! I didn't think of that angle. I like the view out the window.
Also, what about the buildings Trump has built? They are mostly
modern architecture, at least where he's built whole new buildings,
skyscrapers, etc. What's up with that? If what Micky posted is correct,
he's going screwier by the minute. Maybe next he'll insist they have
images of him engraved in all new federal buildings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What's up with that? If what Micky posted is correct,
he's going screwier by the minute. Maybe next he'll insist they have
images of him engraved in all new federal buildings.

.... an addition to Mount Rushmore :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwngoRxTXco

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Oy vey! No wonder he wanted to move to Florida. That's awful.

You don't think he has great taste! How plebian of you.

I think his apartment looks like a bordello.

I'm more of a Craftsman type.

You've clearly seen better bordellos than I have. One was a double wide
mobile home parked in the desert outside Pahrump, NV. No gold to be seen
anywhere.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:20:27 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton

I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to decorate their nest. We only write the checks.

My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think marriage
is a partnership.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/20 1:50 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:20:27 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton

I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to decorate their nest. We only write the checks.

My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think marriage
is a partnership.

I don't decorate. If I did, I'd remodel the kitchen with the Premier line of Gladiator Garage cabinets.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/14/2020 1:10 PM, devnull wrote:
On 2/14/20 1:50 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:20:27 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton

I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to
decorate their nest.Â* We only write the checks.

My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think
marriage
is a partnership.

I don't decorate.Â* If I did, I'd remodel the kitchen with the Premier
line of Gladiator Garage cabinets.

haha! That's just funny!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

I've got to find a fancier class of whorehouses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/14/2020 12:10 PM, devnull wrote:
On 2/14/20 1:50 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:20:27 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton

I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to
decorate their nest. We only write the checks.

My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think
marriage
is a partnership.

I don't decorate. If I did, I'd remodel the kitchen with the Premier
line of Gladiator Garage cabinets.

I always thought if I designed a house the kitchen floor would be brick
with a drain in the middle. Throw down some Tide, scrub it, and hose it
down. Oh, and there would be a loading dock too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

http://raisethestakeseditions.com/janies-ranch/

I used to run that road at night hauling carpet from LA to Reno. Janie
has a red beacon that really stood out since there isn't anything else
around Montgomery.

I liked the one in Winnemucca. There was a sign in the parking lot
"Cattle haulers, please park your rigs someplace else"

Then there was the Mustang Ranch. If I had to go to Tonopah instead of
taking the cutoff I couldn't legally continue to Reno so I'd log my 8
hours off at Mustang. Never did actually go there.

Mustang Ranch was forfeited to the Feds after a tax fraud case leading
to the urban legend that the Feds couldn't run a whorehouse and show a
profit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 18:35:15 -0700, rbowman
wrote:

[...]

You really want that 8x8 terra cotta tile like they use in commercial
kitchens, for exactly that reason. At the club my wife ran the cooks
would hose that place down every night before they left with 160+
degree water. All of the equipment was rolled out and they started
about 5' up the FRP walls, then rolled the stuff back and finished up
the middle. It was like a steam bath in there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 8:34:49 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
[...]

My ideal bathroom is a one-piece plastic box with a floor drain. Close
the protective boot over the toilet paper, remove the towels, pull down
the hose from the ceiling and spray the whole thing with a jet of hot,
soapy water. Then rinse.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

You know the area much better than I do! I wonder if Janie's is the place I
was thinking of. It sure looks like it. Good times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 03:15:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

Anyone know how to get blood out of a carpet? Like, lots of blood? I'm
asking for a friend.

Just kidding :-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

I always wondered if Janie catered to coyotes. There isn't a damn thing
out there except sagebrush and coyotes. I suppose the theory is Bishop
is sort of touristy and some of them might make it up over the pass.

Janies was relatively large scale.

https://www.wildcatranchnv.com/

Pretty bad when the 'Our Girls' tab has one girl. Recruitment must be
off. That might have been viable when the Hawthorne ammo depot was
active. Otherwise the only reason to go through Mina is when 395 south
of Carson City gets iffy in the winter.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/13039

Not Nevada but an interesting stop. The Oasis might have been aided by
Wallace having the last red light on I-90. The interstate went through
downtown until some time in the '90s.

Butte tried a brothel museum too but being Butte it failed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Kidding about the blood, or about it being for a friend?