Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 04:41 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,209
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 10:20:31 AM UTC-5, devnull wrote:
On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton



I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to decorate their nest. We only write the checks.


My husband and I both have input on the decor of our house. I generally
defer to his taste, since his dislikes are stronger than my likes. Not
that our tastes are very far apart, anyway.

Cindy Hamilton

  #12   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 04:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Mar 2014
Posts: 13,236
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 6:07:37 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 6:28:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds
it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment
that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the
ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the
Second World War."
https://www.civicart.org/contemporary-architecture

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was
driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along
with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of
air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth
of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work
that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.



The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in
today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman,
Gothic and a couple I missed architecture. The same group wants to
rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden
is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station
including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of
the building cause that!


In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton


Good one! I didn't think of that angle. I like the view out the window.
Also, what about the buildings Trump has built? They are mostly
modern architecture, at least where he's built whole new buildings,
skyscrapers, etc. What's up with that? If what Micky posted is correct,
he's going screwier by the minute. Maybe next he'll insist they have
images of him engraved in all new federal buildings.

  #13   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 05:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,204
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture



What's up with that? If what Micky posted is correct,
he's going screwier by the minute. Maybe next he'll insist they have
images of him engraved in all new federal buildings.



.... an addition to Mount Rushmore :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwngoRxTXco

John T.

  #14   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 07:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2014
Posts: 92
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 06:57:02 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:40:05 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 03:07:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 6:28:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds
it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment
that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the
ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the
Second World War."
https://www.civicart.org/contemporary-architecture

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was
driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along
with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of
air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth
of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work
that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.


BTW, when they added a new simple building to Billings Hospital, at the
U. of Chicago, they did find someone to make 10 feet of stone cornice to
match what was on the original gothic building, for the transition from
one building to the next.

The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in
today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman,
Gothic and a couple I missed architecture. The same group wants to
rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden
is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station
including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of
the building cause that!

In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/


Oy vey! No wonder he wanted to move to Florida. That's awful.

You don't think he has great taste! How plebian of you.


I think his apartment looks like a bordello.

I'm more of a Craftsman type.


You've clearly seen better bordellos than I have. One was a double wide
mobile home parked in the desert outside Pahrump, NV. No gold to be seen
anywhere.

  #15   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 07:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Jun 2014
Posts: 92
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:20:27 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton



I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to decorate their nest. We only write the checks.


My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think marriage
is a partnership.



  #16   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 08:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Sep 2015
Posts: 52
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On 2/14/20 1:50 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:20:27 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton



I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to decorate their nest. We only write the checks.


My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think marriage
is a partnership.


I don't decorate. If I did, I'd remodel the kitchen with the Premier line of Gladiator Garage cabinets.
  #17   Report Post  
Old February 14th 20, 10:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Oct 2019
Posts: 30
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On 2/14/2020 1:10 PM, devnull wrote:
On 2/14/20 1:50 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:20:27 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/


Cindy Hamilton


I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to
decorate their nest.* We only write the checks.


My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think
marriage
is a partnership.



I don't decorate.* If I did, I'd remodel the kitchen with the Premier
line of Gladiator Garage cabinets.



haha! That's just funny!

--
Maggie
  #18   Report Post  
Old February 15th 20, 02:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,038
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On 02/14/2020 07:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:40:05 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 03:07:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 6:28:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds
it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment
that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the
ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the
Second World War."
https://www.civicart.org/contemporary-architecture

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was
driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along
with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of
air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth
of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work
that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.


BTW, when they added a new simple building to Billings Hospital, at the
U. of Chicago, they did find someone to make 10 feet of stone cornice to
match what was on the original gothic building, for the transition from
one building to the next.

The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in
today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman,
Gothic and a couple I missed architecture. The same group wants to
rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden
is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station
including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of
the building cause that!

In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/

Cindy Hamilton


You don't think he has great taste! How plebian of you.


I think his apartment looks like a bordello.


I've got to find a fancier class of whorehouses.

  #19   Report Post  
Old February 15th 20, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,038
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On 02/14/2020 12:10 PM, devnull wrote:
On 2/14/20 1:50 PM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 10:20:27 -0500, devnull wrote:

On 2/14/20 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/


Cindy Hamilton


I don't know any married heterosexual males that were allowed to
decorate their nest. We only write the checks.


My wife and I both have veto powers. We're weird, though. We think
marriage
is a partnership.


I don't decorate. If I did, I'd remodel the kitchen with the Premier
line of Gladiator Garage cabinets.


I always thought if I designed a house the kitchen floor would be brick
with a drain in the middle. Throw down some Tide, scrub it, and hose it
down. Oh, and there would be a loading dock too.
  #20   Report Post  
Old February 15th 20, 02:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by DIYBanter: Nov 2011
Posts: 7,038
Default Classic vs. Modern architecture

On 02/14/2020 11:47 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Fri, 14 Feb 2020 06:57:02 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Friday, February 14, 2020 at 9:40:05 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Feb 2020 03:07:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Thursday, February 13, 2020 at 6:28:52 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
"Contemporary architecture is by and large a failure. The public finds
it ugly, strange, and off-putting. It has created a built environment
that is degraded and dehumanizing. The reason for this failure is the
ideology of architectural Modernism, which came to dominance after the
Second World War."
https://www.civicart.org/contemporary-architecture

I thought that modern architecture, at least in large buildings, was
driven by new, more efficent, cheaper methods of construction, along
with the ability to make large glass windows, plus the universality of
air conditioning so that windows don't have to open, along with a dearth
of Italian artists willing to work for little money and do the art work
that decorated the buildings of the Teens through 50's.

BTW, when they added a new simple building to Billings Hospital, at the
U. of Chicago, they did find someone to make 10 feet of stone cornice to
match what was on the original gothic building, for the transition from
one building to the next.

The group whose webpage is above apparently influenced Stumpie in
today's exec. order that new federal buildings in DC use Greek, Roman,
Gothic and a couple I missed architecture. The same group wants to
rebuild Pennsyylvania Station in NYC, even though Madison Square Garden
is in the way. They have several compalaints about the station
including that the trains are sometimes late. How does the design of
the building cause that!

In my books, the man who lives here doesn't get to tell anybody else
how stuff should look:

https://www.idesignarch.com/inside-donald-and-melania-trumps-manhattan-apartment-mansion/


Oy vey! No wonder he wanted to move to Florida. That's awful.

You don't think he has great taste! How plebian of you.


I think his apartment looks like a bordello.

I'm more of a Craftsman type.


You've clearly seen better bordellos than I have. One was a double wide
mobile home parked in the desert outside Pahrump, NV. No gold to be seen
anywhere.


http://raisethestakeseditions.com/janies-ranch/

I used to run that road at night hauling carpet from LA to Reno. Janie
has a red beacon that really stood out since there isn't anything else
around Montgomery.

I liked the one in Winnemucca. There was a sign in the parking lot
"Cattle haulers, please park your rigs someplace else"

Then there was the Mustang Ranch. If I had to go to Tonopah instead of
taking the cutoff I couldn't legally continue to Reno so I'd log my 8
hours off at Mustang. Never did actually go there.

Mustang Ranch was forfeited to the Feds after a tax fraud case leading
to the urban legend that the Feds couldn't run a whorehouse and show a
profit.





Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dark ages of architecture basilisk[_2_] Woodworking 70 July 29th 12 06:28 PM
Architecture DC Magazine Fall 2011 Home Guy Home Repair 0 October 3rd 11 04:51 AM
Nobody grip horrible intervals throughout the bold accessible architecture, whilst Imam sometimes overlooks them too. Frederic A. Simmions-Slatkin Metalworking 0 December 10th 07 01:05 AM
AVR & VON NEUMANN vs HARVARD ARCHITECTURE UFO Joe Electronics Repair 0 April 10th 06 05:37 AM
architecture style question Ned Sneed Woodworking 6 September 9th 05 08:39 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2020 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"

 

Copyright © 2017