Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Default bluetooth at 164 feet

I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=long+dist...tag=mozilla-20
first row especially

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra...BJR/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-Blueto...9M2/ref=sr_1_5
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:19:13 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

The last time I looked there were 3 standard ranges of bluetooth.
Less than 1 meter, less than 10 meters, and 100 meters.

I never heard about the short one either. I must live in a cave.

There are some range extenders for BT, but I have not looked into them
as I do not do anythig with BT over 10 meters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:10:42 -0500, micky
wrote:

I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=long+dist...tag=mozilla-20
first row especially

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra...BJR/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-Blueto...9M2/ref=sr_1_5

MOST Bluetooth devices conform to class 2 - which is up to 10 meters
transmission range. My hearing aids use class 3 to talk to each other
and class 2 to talk to my I-Phone. ( 10 cm transmission)
A class 1 bluetooth device can transmit up to 100 meters. Those
wireless headphones excede class 2 but are not class 3. Mabee they are
not TRUE bluetooth but some other semi-standard running on the 2.4Ghz
band?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:45:19 -0500, micky
wrote:

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:19:13 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

The last time I looked there were 3 standard ranges of bluetooth.
Less than 1 meter, less than 10 meters, and 100 meters.

I never heard about the short one either. I must live in a cave.

There are some range extenders for BT, but I have not looked into them
as I do not do anythig with BT over 10 meters.

The short one is used by binaural hearing aids to communicate between
ears and fir "back to back" communication between handheld devices -
like sharing "business cards"

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:19:13 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

The last time I looked there were 3 standard ranges of bluetooth.
Less than 1 meter, less than 10 meters, and 100 meters.

I never heard about the short one either. I must live in a cave.

There are some range extenders for BT, but I have not looked into them
as I do not do anythig with BT over 10 meters.

The short one is used by binaural hearing aids to communicate between
ears and fir "back to back" communication between handheld devices -
like sharing "business cards"

I was checked for hearing aids too, and I think they rejected that kind
for me, because the signal had to go from one ear to the other and my
head was too dense.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, ...

https://www.scienceabc.com/innovatio...-extended.html
Class 1 transmitting at 100 mW with a range of 100 meters or 328 feet.
Class 2 transmiting at 2.5 mW with a range of 10 meters or 33 feet (most
Bluetooth headsets and headphones are common Class 2 devices).
Class 3 transmitting at 1 mW with a range of fewer than 10 meters.

https://www.howtogeek.com/343718/wha...bluetooth-5.0/
With Bluetooth 5.0, devices can use data transfer speeds of up to 2
Mbps, which is double what Bluetooth 4.2 supports. Devices can also
communicate over distances of up to 800 feet (or 240 meters), which is
four times the 200 feet (or 60 meters) allowed by Bluetooth 4.2.

https://blog.nordicsemi.com/getconne...luetooth-range
(See the comparison chart)
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
news
I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=long+dist...tag=mozilla-20
first row especially

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra...BJR/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-Blueto...9M2/ref=sr_1_5

If you can get Bluetooth at 30 feet, you're doing *very* well. My experience
with my Bluetooth headset (for listening to talking books or for hands-free
phone calls) is that it starts to drop out when I walk from one side of a
room to the other, even without any obstructions in between.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
news
I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=long+dist...tag=mozilla-20
first row especially

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra...BJR/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-Blueto...9M2/ref=sr_1_5

If you can get Bluetooth at 30 feet, you're doing *very* well. My experience
with my Bluetooth headset (for listening to talking books or for hands-free
phone calls) is that it starts to drop out when I walk from one side of a
room to the other, even without any obstructions in between.

With my Logitech-Mouse I have BT-connection over 40-50 ft through one
concrete ceiling with steel reinforcment in our house.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

"Joerg Lorenz" wrote in message
If you can get Bluetooth at 30 feet, you're doing *very* well. My
experience
with my Bluetooth headset (for listening to talking books or for
hands-free
phone calls) is that it starts to drop out when I walk from one side of a
room to the other, even without any obstructions in between.

With my Logitech-Mouse I have BT-connection over 40-50 ft through one
concrete ceiling with steel reinforcment in our house.

My headset must be faulty, then. I start to get dropouts if I walk across
the room, even with nothing in the way. My wife gets much better range with
hers and has reception several rooms away through several walls. I presume
it's a function mainly of the BT transceiver in the peripheral rather than
the one in the phone (which you can't change); a better device will have a
more sensitive receiver for the phone-to-headset comms and a more powerful
transmitter (for the headset-to-phone comms - flow control etc).

I've have expected better from a branded (Sony) device. But it is fairly
old; maybe six or seven years - which is "ancient" in modern device terms! I
wonder whether there's a record of what class of BT a device with a given
model number has. I hadn't realised until I read this thread today that
there was more than one class of BT. Maybe mine has the lowest class
(shortest range) which is intended really for things like keyboards and mice
which are normally used right next to the computer that they control.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 13:29:39 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
news
I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=long+dist...tag=mozilla-20
first row especially

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra...BJR/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-Blueto...9M2/ref=sr_1_5

If you can get Bluetooth at 30 feet, you're doing *very* well. My experience
with my Bluetooth headset (for listening to talking books or for hands-free
phone calls) is that it starts to drop out when I walk from one side of a
room to the other, even without any obstructions in between.

With my Logitech-Mouse I have BT-connection over 40-50 ft through one
concrete ceiling with steel reinforcment in our house.

Logitech runs on 2.4 GZ but I don't think it is actually BT. I agree
it does get out fairly well. It works all around my pool deck and that
is over 40 feet. I also have LT desktop hardware on the media machine
in the living room, using TVs as the monitors and that works in 3
rooms in the house were the TVs are. (HDMI splitter and 2 extended
cables)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 10:28:15 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 13:29:39 +0100, Joerg Lorenz
wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
news I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
[...]

There are both kinds of mice, ie BT and non. The old one I have here
is not BT. IDK what the mix is of new ones today. But it makes sense
for new ones to use BT, for notebooks, tablets, etc, I assume they have
BT, so with a BT mouse you would not need the USB adapter.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

Ralph Mowery wrote:

lid says...

If you can get Bluetooth at 30 feet, you're doing *very* well. My experience
with my Bluetooth headset (for listening to talking books or for hands-free
phone calls) is that it starts to drop out when I walk from one side of a
room to the other, even without any obstructions in between.

As mentioned there are several 'ranges' (really power of the
transmitter) .

It is possiable that as you have a head set device it was rated for
only 3 meters (just about 10 feet). Those were probably designed for
using short range items like the ear buds to a cell phone where you
keep the phone in your pocket and use the ear bud to talk and listen.
Same for the ones in a car for hands free operation.

You have to ballance the transmitted power with the battery life and
weight of the ear buds.

And since Bluetooth is vulnerable, you might want to consider the
distance for any sensitive transmission content, like when transferring
files via Bluetooth. A low-power BT device limits the distance for a
connection, like within your home, while a high-power BT connection in
your car means other cars on the road or folks nearby in the parking lot
could snoop. With a 10 meter range for class 2 BT devices, I've seen
where users relying on making/breaking a BT connection between their
car's BT head unit (or a device in the car) to flag when they leave
their car (they turn it off) or arrive back at their car (they turn it
on) will complain that the BT trigger is quite a bit away from where
they parked their car. Best is if the BT device in the car turns on and
off with the ignition key, but I've seen some cars where the BT radio
stays on for a while after turning off the car. For example, the user
might use a BT device plugged into a power port (USB port, or cig
lighter port) that stays on when the car is turned off. Plugging into a
cig lighter port that gets disconnected when the car turns off makes
sure the BT connection is broke with the smartphone (and the car locator
app on it) while still in the car, not after walking 10 meters away. If
all power ports stay on after turning off the car, you have to remember
to unplug the BT device in the car to break the BT connection to the
smartphone to get the BT-triggered app to mark THAT location for your
car instead of some distance away. You might think 10 meters is okay to
see your car in a parking lot, but not when the cars change and later
some taller car blocks your view of yours. You might try using your
remote lock fob to blink your car's lights or beep its horn, but not all
cars have a remote fob, especially old cars, plus if it's someplace
where lots of people are exiting then all of them are using their remote
fobs and cars are blinking and beeping all over the place (for example,
typical of everyone leaving a Disney theme park at closing and the
parking lots getting flashy and noisy).

You probably don't care if it's just audio over Bluetooth, but that
audio could be a link between the head unit in your car and your
smartphone and that could be sensitive business or content in that call.
The vulnerability doesn't even require pairing with the hacker's BT
device, and why paranoids disable BT in their smartphone until they want
to use it (but become vulnerable at that point). Of course, being
potentially vulnerable doesn't mandate you ever are.

https://insinuator.net/2020/02/criti...cve-2020-0022/
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/awaren...-knob-attacks/
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
[...]

Logitech uses a proprietary system so you have to buy Logitech
devices. One dongle will handle up to 6 or 7 tho. I am a Logitech guy,
simply because I have a lot invested already. Very few of my HIDs are
wired these days.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
And since Bluetooth is vulnerable, you might want to consider the
distance for any sensitive transmission content, like when transferring
files via Bluetooth.

I've never actually used BT for an IP file-transfer connection: I use wifi
for that if the files are small, or a USB connection if they are large. I'm
not sure how I'd configure it nor what software protocol (eg FTP or SMB) I
could use.

You probably don't care if it's just audio over Bluetooth, but that
audio could be a link between the head unit in your car and your
smartphone and that could be sensitive business or content in that call.
The vulnerability doesn't even require pairing with the hacker's BT
device, and why paranoids disable BT in their smartphone until they want
to use it (but become vulnerable at that point). Of course, being
potentially vulnerable doesn't mandate you ever are.

Is BT more or less vulnerable than wifi with WPA encryption? I know that WEP
is trivially easy for hackers to crack. I run my own business providing
PC/internet support for people in my area, and I've found a surprisingly
large number of people who have bought their own router (as opposed to using
one supplied by their ISP) who have forgotten to turn on *any* encryption or
have left at the factory default of "password123" or something similar.

If I had sensitive data to transfer, I'd use Ethernet if possible. And for 2
GB recorded TV programmes between recording PC and laptop, wifi is a dead
loss compared with Ethernet: wifi struggles to manage 20 Mbps, as opposed to
1000 Mbps (1 Gbps) for Ethernet.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

On 2/11/2020 2:10 PM, micky wrote:
I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=long+dist...tag=mozilla-20
first row especially

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Tra...BJR/ref=sr_1_6

https://www.amazon.com/Giveet-Blueto...9M2/ref=sr_1_5

The working range is whatever the working range is -- no predictions and no
guarantees. Everything depends on the quality of the equipment, the power
used, the intervening space and possible interference (and, just possibly,
the phase of the moon and other random crap). Take two ****-poor devices
rated at 100m and put them in adjacent rooms (but with lots of metal in the
intervening wall) and in an intense random RF field and you will be lucky
to make it 1m. On the other hand, take two top-quality devices with the
same advertised power onto a huge flat field with zero interference (go to
Green Bank, WV if you need to but don't let them catch you during the test)
and you will probably manage 500m+. Of course if somebody went to the
trouble of making large reflectors or using external antennas then the sky
is the limit.

Frankly, when my BT devices work at all at _any_ range I'm happy and try to
ignore my luck in case I jinx it.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
[...]

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/logitec...l-mouse-black/

Logitech - M535 Bluetooth Optical Mouse - Black

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
[...]

Look at the M325 and get back to me.
I did say the "Logitech system", not every ****ing thing they sell.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
[...]

And what did I say initially? That both BT and non-BT wireless mice exist.
To which you responded:

'Logitech uses a proprietary system so you have to buy Logitech
devices. One dongle will handle up to 6 or 7 tho. I am a Logitech guy,
simply because I have a lot invested already. Very few of my HIDs are
wired these days. "

Which implied you were claiming that all Logitech are non-BT, which isn't,
right, they have BT ones. I'd bet BT mice are the bigger sellers today too,
for the obvious reasons I cited. So, what's your problem again?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
[...]

it would be interesting to ask Logitech but they are pushing their
system pretty hard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 12, 2020 at 5:25:40 PM UTC-5, John McGaw wrote:
[...]

Are you saying it's kind of like those Chinese 300 mile TV antennas
for $15 on Ebay? You mileage may vary?

Posted to comp.mobile.android,alt.home.repair

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Frankly, when my BT devices work at all at _any_ range I'm happy and try
to ignore my luck in case I jinx it.

At last! Someone else who is as sceptical and wary of BT as I am. The
miracle is that it works *at all*; expecting it to work *well* is asking for
the moon on a stick.

I've found BT to be very unreliable. Most of the time you can bring together
two previously-paired devices and they will automatically establish a
connection and work perfectly. But... an annoyingly large minority of times,
they fail to connect automatically or spontaneously disconnect or fail
partially (eg can still play sound from phone through BT earphones but
stop/pause/rew/ff controls stop working. The remedy is to turn the headset
off and back on to force it to reboot and to connect again. Until the next
time it goes belly-up...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 16:41:09 -0000, "NY" wrote:

"John McGaw" wrote in message
Frankly, when my BT devices work at all at _any_ range I'm happy and try
to ignore my luck in case I jinx it.

At last! Someone else who is as sceptical and wary of BT as I am. The
miracle is that it works *at all*; expecting it to work *well* is asking for
the moon on a stick.

I've found BT to be very unreliable. Most of the time you can bring together
two previously-paired devices and they will automatically establish a
connection and work perfectly. But... an annoyingly large minority of times,
they fail to connect automatically or spontaneously disconnect or fail
partially (eg can still play sound from phone through BT earphones but
stop/pause/rew/ff controls stop working. The remedy is to turn the headset
off and back on to force it to reboot and to connect again. Until the next
time it goes belly-up...

My biggest problem with BT headsets is the delay. If you are just
listening to music it might be OK but trying to watch a video is
ridiculous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
[...]

I went to Canada Computers in Waterloo to buy a "bluetooth Keyboard"
and they tried to sell me a Logitech"unifying system" keyboard saying
it WAS bluetooth. It might use bluetooth-like 2.4ghz technology - but
it is NOT Bluetooth and can NOT be connected to a pure bluetooth
adapter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Am 12.02.20 um 11:14 schrieb NY:
"micky" wrote in message
[...]

They are pushing their bluetooth easy switch technology pretty hard
now too - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:25:24 -0500, micky
wrote:

wrote:

In comp.mobile.android, on Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:19:13 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I keep hearing that bluetooth is only good for 30 feet, but look at
these:

The last time I looked there were 3 standard ranges of bluetooth.
Less than 1 meter, less than 10 meters, and 100 meters.

I never heard about the short one either. I must live in a cave.

There are some range extenders for BT, but I have not looked into them
as I do not do anythig with BT over 10 meters.

The short one is used by binaural hearing aids to communicate between
ears and fir "back to back" communication between handheld devices -
like sharing "business cards"

I was checked for hearing aids too, and I think they rejected that kind
for me, because the signal had to go from one ear to the other and my
head was too dense.

Did the shine a light in one ear and look in the other? Want my
prediction what would have happened if they did?

I already insulted myself and you think you can be funny by using an old
joke like this.

I WAS going to bring transmission of radio waves in a vaccum into the
discussion but I figured "nah".

Garage height...8 feet or 10 feet? [email protected] Home Repair 40 October 5th 17 11:08 AM
Feet or No Feet watchec Woodworking 0 April 26th 08 08:49 AM
Feet or No Feet [email protected] UK diy 0 April 19th 08 11:28 PM
Feet or No Feet [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 19th 08 12:09 PM
Is it possible to convert an USB wire device to a bluetooth device? Frank Electronics Repair 2 December 2nd 06 03:20 AM