Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Repair floor lamp?

A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 12:59:02 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

We can't see how it went in there or how it came out. How about some
portland cement mix?

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK writes:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Plumbers lead. Fishing weights. et alia.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/JSC-25-lb-Lead-Ingot/50305657
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2020 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Probably just years of drying out and expansion and contraction.

It is is one or two pieces you could put it back with the urethane
adhesive in a caulking gun cartridge.

Scott suggested lead or fishing weights, Same glue would hold them in
place too. If deep enough, a brick could work
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2020 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Good idea from Scott or additionally you can make another cement mold or
add iron weights, ankle weight, wrist weights or anything heavy which
you can enclosed with a bottom.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10 Feb 2020 17:58:57 GMT, KenK wrote:

A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Buy a bag of quick drying sakcrete. Turn the lamp upside down and
after knocking out any remaining original ballast, pour a new weight
and let it cure for 20
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 19:00:31 GMT, (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:

.

Quick setting sakcrete
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/20 11:58 AM, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Weights people use when weight lifting? Shotgun shell pellets
or bbs? Would making the lamp base bigger be practical?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 10 Feb 2020 15:09:28 -0500, Hawk
wrote:

On 2/10/2020 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Good idea from Scott or additionally you can make another cement mold or
add iron weights, ankle weight, wrist weights or anything heavy which
you can enclosed with a bottom.

You could even put Houdini in there and see if he can escape.

Clare beat me to it but I was going to suggest quikrete, quick concrete.
You'd have to buy a 10 poung bag for maybe $16 and you'd have to keep
the rest dry or it will harden. Maybe a neighbor has a cup or two.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quikrete&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 also has Rockite
for under 12.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2020 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Not everyone has these laying around (I do), but a microphone stand base
comes to mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 2/10/2020 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Good idea from Scott or additionally you can make another cement mold or
add iron weights, ankle weight, wrist weights or anything heavy which
you can enclosed with a bottom.

You could even put Houdini in there and see if he can escape.

Clare beat me to it but I was going to suggest quikrete, quick concrete.
You'd have to buy a 10 poung bag for maybe $16

WTF? Where do you shop?

and you'd have to keep
the rest dry or it will harden. Maybe a neighbor has a cup or two.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=quikrete&ref=nb_sb_noss_1 also has Rockite
for under 12.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/10/2020 9:58 AM, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Are you some kinda asshole?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/11/20 8:15 AM, Art Todesco wrote:
On 2/10/2020 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
A floor lamp I use along side my bed has had the weight materal (cement?)
in its base break up amd fall out. Now the lamp won't stamd straight
anymore - leans against the wall. Is there anything I can put in the lamp
base so it will stand properly again? Or do I have to buy a new lamp?

Any guesses why the weighting material failed? I didn't do anything to the
lanp, not even move it around.

TIA

Not everyone has these laying around (I do), but a microphone stand base comes to mind.

Or you could use a rim off the old car parked out back.