Posted to alt.home.repair

Default what cell phone for under $ 130

On Monday, February 10, 2020 at 10:39:00 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

If it connects to the wifi system for data and does not use the 3 GB of
data when on wifi, I doubt I will ever run out of data.

Just depends on how you use it, what apps, etc. Make sure you go into
the Google Playstore settings and set it to only update apps over wifi.
I have mine set to not update at all, instead I check once a week or
so and update when I choose to. Under data usage, there is a setting
for data saver. If you turn it on, it will prevent apps from downloading
most stuff on the data network, unless you're using the app. Many apps,
like news for example, update periodically so that the latest stuff is
there for you instantly. With DS set to on, it will only update when
and if you open the app.

Thanks for the tip on that. I will set the phone so it updates over the
wifi. My other phone did that. I am using a cable modem/router with wifi
at the house. The speed of the modem is listed at 200 but I often get
about 230 whatever kind of bits so it is very fast.

As mentiioned I do not think that I have ever needed the cell tower data
for the other smart phone so that 3 gb should last me forever. If I do
run out, and the speed drops to 150 kb, that is about 3 times the speed
of the fastest old dial up modem I had many years ago before DSL and
cable.

I signed up for the 3 month plan and if all goes well I plan on going
with the whole year at a time plan when the 3 months are up. Hopefully
I did it right and we will get the 'rebate' money then. They way I took
it that 'rebate' is applied to the next time we renew a plan.

Yes, but it's supposed to show up before that. It said two weeks
after you purchase it. So, we'll see. I'll check in a couple weeks.

The phone I have keeps getting news that I do not want. I leave it on
the charger and may only pick it up every 2 or 3 days when I leave the
house. It has a screen full of unwanted news.

You can delete many of the apps you don't want and get rid of it.
There are some that wind up on these phones from either the manufacturer
or the cell phone companies that sell them, that you can't get rid of.
We call that bloatware. Facebook is an example. It's on my load and
it can't be removed, but it's not doing anything but sit there. It does
get updated frequently though, like most apps. If you were doing that
using plan data, it would be wasting data for nothing.

My land line phone is by
the cable modem. It can be set to send the land line number to the
smart phone at the same time. That way if I am out of the house, the
cell phone will ring, or I could jut pick it up while around the house,
but I have several of the land line phones invarious rooms.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/2020 10:22 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

Check out the Tracfone stuff at Walmart:
https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...ahead=tracfone
My wife has an LG and it's pretty good. It was around $50. We buy a
year card with lots of voice minutes and text, plus 1.5G of data. Plus
they are running a special on the data:
https://www.tracfone.com/serviceplan...1S1_01_EP_wk06
Not bad for someone who isn't a big user or in a house where there is a
full feature smartphone.

I looked at some of the Tracfone stuff before and checked out that one.

The ammount of talk and text is ok, but the data is not. For about the
same price I can still go with the Mint Mobile and get unlimiated
talk/text and 3 gb of data each month. I don't care about the text as
in about 10 years of service I think I may have sent 10 text messages
and those were mainly becaues I could not get a phone call to my
children.

I am mainly looking for the 'best' phone for under about $ 130 or so
that uses the Android system.

You can buy a data card to add. I think they are only $10 or $20.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, February 7, 2020 at 10:23:04 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
[...]

So, how did it work out? New phone working on Mint?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

I am mainly looking for the 'best' phone for under about $ 130 or so
that uses the Android system.

So, how did it work out? New phone working on Mint?

So far it hasn't. Not to blame the Mint people. I sent off for a 3
month trial and the Fedex package with the sim card came from California
in about 2 or 3 days. Not bad as I am in NC on the other side of the
US.

Several days before that I had ordered a phone off ebay. It was sent
out right away by the tracking.
It has been laying around at a post office for the last week that is
about 40 miles away.

Maybe I will get it sometime next week. The mail has gone today and it
did not show up.

I reminds me of a small package a friend sent to me that was bout 50
miles in the other direction. A small relay about the size of a couple
of the Bic butane lighters. Took it about 3 weeks from the time he sent
it to get here. I know he gave me the right date he sent it by the post
mark on it.

I have 3 other packages to arrive here I bought this week. One from
Amazone that was about $ 30 and contained 3 bottles of vitiamins, one
from Belks that had 2 boxes of bath powder, and an ebay item that is the
size of a usb memory stick. Two packages were left on my porch and the
other in the mail box.

Tracking details
USPS tracking #9400108205496067440876
Feb 15, 2020
7:05am

Arrived at Post Office
CHARLOTTE, NC 28204
Feb 14, 2020
12:00am

In Transit to Next Facility
Feb 11, 2020
3:13am

Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
MID CAROLINA-CHARLOTTE NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Feb 7, 2020
4:53pm

USPS in possession of item
TROY, MI 48099
Feb 7, 2020
12:06pm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 15, 2020 at 3:23:58 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

Wow, that's the worst I've seen at usps. Figures it would be something that you're anxious to get too. I hope it's not damaged.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Feb 2020 22:48:19 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Tracking details
USPS tracking #9400108205496067440876
Feb 15, 2020
7:05am

Arrived at Post Office
CHARLOTTE, NC 28204
Feb 14, 2020
12:00am

In Transit to Next Facility
Feb 11, 2020
3:13am

Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
MID CAROLINA-CHARLOTTE NC DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Feb 7, 2020
4:53pm

USPS in possession of item
TROY, MI 48099
Feb 7, 2020
12:06pm

Wow, that's the worst I've seen at usps. Figures it would be something that you're anxious to get too. I hope it's not damaged.

I have had that hapen a couple of times over the years. Most times it
is something I want in fast so I can get started.

I had a small package come in to a town 50 miles north, pass by my town
and go to Charlotte which is 40 miles south this week. It was ordered
off ebay on Monday and arrived Friday . About the same general area of
the country the phone is comming from.

When I was in Zambia back in the 70s I recieved a parcel from home -
postmarked 3 days before I got it- by "surface mail" - Elmira Ontario
to Livingston Zambia. It took me longer to get there flying Toronto to
London to Nairobi to Lusaka to Livingston. Three weeks later I got an
airmail letter telling me to expect the package - postmarked 3 days
before the package was sent - - - - - The package must have just hit
every point at EXACTLY the right time, and the letter must have stuck
in the bottom of the mailbag and gotten a few free trips across the
Atlantic - -

Connect cell phone to RJ11 home phone wiring jacks Wade Garrett Home Repair 7 July 3rd 18 03:19 AM
android spying software, Android Spy phone software, Blackberry ChatMessenger Logging, Reverse Phone Lookup , SMS spy, cell spy software, cellphone camera Video Logging, cell phone camera Picture Logging, mobile phoneEmail Logging, Smartphone Alex Rostov UK diy 1 March 10th 12 01:15 PM
Testing Nicad/nicd or NiMH cell ESR or SLA Gel Cell Battery Internal Resistance Wild_Bill Electronics Repair 24 January 19th 10 01:41 AM
Cell to cell tap... Susan Electronics 6 January 22nd 07 11:38 PM
Can I switch the sim in my damaged Cell Phone to a new Cell Phone? [email protected] Electronics Repair 3 September 30th 06 01:58 AM