Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Too much hysteresis in water heater thermostat

replying to Peabody, rdankwort wrote:
This is a very common phenomenon in water heaters. In the morning my temp. is
just warm; after I do a load of laundry it is piping hot. And in-between for
moderate use.

Unlike you I don't like to mess with my thermostat setting. It's a crummy
honeywell regulator on a Bradford-White tank. The Robertshaw I used to have
on my earlier tank at least had visible and large temp. setting marks; the
honeywell is a tiny knob with useless setting markers.

Anyway, if I want hot water in the morning I try to get up a bit early & run a
water faucet somewhere. I know that'sa sinful waste of water but what would
you.

BTW living in a hot desert climate I have a very different summer problem
also: between the hot garage temperatures and the pilot my water runs almost
dangerously hot.. The pilot alone keeps the temp. up! I once tried just
shutting off the pilot but then the water temp.was way too low.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...at-659359-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/2020 10:44 PM, rdankwort wrote:
replying to Peabody, rdankwort wrote:
This is a very common phenomenon in water heaters.Â* In the morning my
temp. is
just warm; after I do a load of laundry it is piping hot.Â* And
in-between for
moderate use.
Unlike you I don't like to mess with my thermostat setting.Â* It'sÂ* a crummy
honeywell regulator on a Bradford-White tank.Â* The Robertshaw I used to
have
on my earlier tank at least had visible and large temp. setting marks; the
honeywell is a tiny knob with useless setting markers.

Anyway, if I want hot water in the morning I try to get up a bit early &
run a
water faucet somewhere.Â* I know that'saÂ* sinful waste of waterÂ* but what
would
you.

BTW living in a hot desert climate I have a very different summer problem
also: between the hot garage temperatures and the pilot my water runs
almost
dangerously hot.. The pilot alone keeps the temp. up! I once tried just
shutting off the pilot but then the water temp.was way too low.

After 15 years we finally have an answer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/20 10:44 PM, rdankwort wrote:
[...]

The Honeywell on my natural gas Lochinvar works fine but it's a pilotless ignition model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 6 Feb 2020 03:44:02 +0000, rdankwort
m wrote:

replying to Peabody, rdankwort wrote:
This is a very common phenomenon in water heaters. In the morning my temp. is
just warm; after I do a load of laundry it is piping hot. And in-between for
moderate use.

This doesn't make sense. It should be up to its maximum temp when no
one has used any hot water.

And if you take a deep bath or very long shower, it should run out of
hot water until it has time to heat it again.

Are you just talking about the water in the pipes between the water
heater and the faucet? Of course that cools off over night.

Unlike you I don't like to mess with my thermostat setting. It's a crummy
honeywell regulator on a Bradford-White tank. The Robertshaw I used to have
on my earlier tank at least had visible and large temp. setting marks; the
honeywell is a tiny knob with useless setting markers.

Anyway, if I want hot water in the morning I try to get up a bit early & run a

How early? It takes 3 minutes at most to run the hot water until the
water in the pipes has gone through it and hot water comes out You can
brush your teeth during that time, don't have to get up early at all.

water faucet somewhere. I know that'sa sinful waste of water but what would
you.

BTW living in a hot desert climate I have a very different summer problem
also: between the hot garage temperatures and the pilot my water runs almost
dangerously hot.. The pilot alone keeps the temp. up! I once tried just
shutting off the pilot but then the water temp.was way too low.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 11:14:02 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

If it's a common problem, I've had decades of experience and never had
noticeably temp swings like that. Granted it's only been with maybe
five of them, but they were mostly just the basic pilot light type,
nothing fancy or expensive and they maintained temp so I never noticed
a difference.

Unfortunately the cost of a new gas valve assembly is probably so much
that unless it's new you might as well change the whole thing. And
if it was doing this when new, should have documented how much the
temp varies and called the manufacturer. They might have sent a new
valve assembly. I had a State WH where the thermocouple failed while
under warranty. I called them up, they had a new one here in a few
days, no charge. Of course a valve assembly costs a lot more, so
they may not be so quick to replace, but I'd think if it was really
out of range, they would.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Peabody, rdankwort wrote:
This is a very common phenomenon in water heaters. In the morning my temp. is
just warm; after I do a load of laundry it is piping hot. And in-between for
moderate use.

This doesn't make sense. It should be up to its maximum temp when no
one has used any hot water.

Not after a couple of hours.

And if you take a deep bath or very long shower, it should run out of
hot water until it has time to heat it again.

Sure, but they didn't say they were pulling a very long shower, just
a load of laundry. So, it's enough to trigger the WH to fire up and
start heating the water again.

[...]

Lost in the wilderness, as usual.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

replying to Peabody, rdankwort wrote:
This is a very common phenomenon in water heaters. In the morning my temp. is
just warm; after I do a load of laundry it is piping hot. And in-between for
moderate use.

This doesn't make sense. It should be up to its maximum temp when no
one has used any hot water.

Not after a couple of hours.

And if you take a deep bath or very long shower, it should run out of
hot water until it has time to heat it again.

Sure, but they didn't say they were pulling a very long shower, just
a load of laundry. So, it's enough to trigger the WH to fire up and
start heating the water again.

The water will be the hottest just after the thermostat cuts off. I
don't know how much temperature variation the water heaters have, but
seems to be a lot on mine and the one I just replaced. They were both
tall and had the dual heating elements.

I did measure the temperature of my electric oven and it surprised me
how much it varied. Seems like at either 350 or 400 deg F it would
swing at least 50 or more deg low and high.

I worked on instrumentation at a large plant. We had controllers that
would hold things with in just a few degrease or less. However the
controllers were proportional and not just the 'bang bang' off and on
types. I would have thought by now the ovens would have something like
that, but I have not seen any in the common house price range.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 6, 2020 at 10:56:12 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

[...]

I haven't monitored the one here to see how much it swings. Its
a ten year old Kitchenaid double wall oven. I do know that once it
gets to the set temp of say 400, it will continue to show that no
matter what. If I open the door to put something in or check on it,
then turn the oven off and right back on again, then it will show
like 350 and start working it's way back to 400 again. I guess I would
design it the same way, to make it look rock stable.

I worked on instrumentation at a large plant. We had controllers that
would hold things with in just a few degrease or less. However the
controllers were proportional and not just the 'bang bang' off and on
types. I would have thought by now the ovens would have something like
that, but I have not seen any in the common house price range.

Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

[...]

First thing I would suspect (if it is a top entry heater) is a broken
off or corroded "dip" tube thatis supposed to put the cold water into
the bottom of the tank. The hot water is supposed to come off the top.
If the cold water goes in the top instead of the bottom, you will get
pre-mixed, warm water instead of hot until the turbulence of the water
flow gets the hot water to the top. Good heaters use a "turbulator"
tube that makes the water swirl in the bottom of the tank as it
enters, avoiding stratification issues.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 10:56:04 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

electric and gas are totally different in operation. If it is an
electric heater he likely has one bad element.