Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Will this tool break up a blig blob of cement/concrete?

On Tue, 04 Feb 2020 00:19:34 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 03 Feb 2020 23:38:45 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 03 Feb 2020 20:11:35 -0500, micky
wrote:

A couple years ago a contractor for a neighbor redid her steps or
terraced garden and left a big pile of cement/concrete? in the woods
next to my house. IIRC it's about the size and shape of baby's high
chair. A bar stool, I guess.

I want to break it up so it's light enough to take to the trash.

It has a few small crevices in it where he added more to what was
already there, I guess. (I sort of hoped rain would freeze and it would
break up itself, but there is been almost no freezing weather.)

Is this the sort of tool I would use?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-14...6EVS/100034665
or
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-1...214C/202809914

This seems simlar and it rents from HD at
$47.00 for 4-Hour (Minimum) or $268.00 Per Week
https://www.homedepot.com/tool-truck...03C/index.html

The rental store is nearby but still only if I were lucky could I finish
in 4 hours so we're talking about $47, 94 or more if I run out of
energy.

But on the CBC** they just did a story about tool share organization,
and by golly there is one here. They charge 3% of the retail value of
the tool, get this, per week. And they value the "Demolition/rotary
hammer kit" at $735 so the rental is $22, get this, per week.

Any day next summer is good for me, so I should be able to get one, but
is this the right kind of tool???

There are two actually, but it seems but the other one only has this, a
Hilti TE15, probably in better condition than
https://www.ebay.com/p/1901476267 Would this do it?
It also has open shop 12 hours a week. There used to be something I
wanted to do I didn't have the tools for. I'll think of it eventually.

The first place only allows associations such as HOAs to join, but the
second seems to take individuals.

This is a new thing. Maybe your city has one too.

**Clare, I've been listening to the CBC part-time for 2 weeks now, ever
since I got my new radio which connects by wire to my PC.

How old is this concrete? You might just need one of these

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/bef8551f-99b2-49a2-94cb-90812a329bb1/svn/wilton-sledge-hammers-22036-64_1000.jpg

I tried that already. Truly. Not Wilton, some other brand. It didn't
even chip it, although when I saw it would never be enough, I didn't try
many times.

By this summer it will be 2 or 3 years old. That stuff gets harder
every year, doesn't it. At leat that's what they told me on the tour of
the Panama Canal.

That is not going to be easy to break up. Your best bet is to hire
someone to haul it away or bury it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The whole thing ticks me off. There have been other things, 2x4 scraps,
left in my** woods, but this time I saw the guy, and I followed him to
the home he was hired by. I know the woman, an old, well dressed,
seemingly refined woman. Have known her hi-and-bye for 30 years, and the
contractor goes to the door and asks to be paid. I'm right behind him
telling her what he did, and asking her not to pay until he removes the
scrap. I couldn't hear what she said but from his replies I don't think
she gave the slightest objection to paying him. We haven't talked
since. and by now she'll probably say she doesn't remember. She
probably won't rememmber. She's 78 or more, I think.

So that's why I resent spending money, but to rent the tool I can
pretend to be a demo guy for one day.

If I can't do it, it's a stream bed when it rains. Does that mean it's
just dirt, or will there be bigg rocks as soon as someone digs?

**(The woods are not mine but they feel like they are. Everyone is free
too, but I'm the only neighbor who goes down there to look at the
plants, the stream, the birds, peace and quiet, etc. The woods are the
reason I chose this house. I was going to try to name the island
(after myself) and send it in to Google, but Google wants supporting
evidence.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/04/2020 07:53 PM, micky wrote:
If I can't do it, it's a stream bed when it rains. Does that mean it's
just dirt, or will there be bigg rocks as soon as someone digs?

Oops. Thst's wetlands so you'll have to do an environmental study and
get EPA approval before you modify it. Or maybe you'll luck out and
Trump's relaxing of the EPA standards will save your bacon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/4/20 9:53 PM, micky wrote:
The woods are the
reason I chose this house. I was going to try to name the island
(after myself) and send it in to Google, but Google wants supporting
evidence.)

And you call Trump a liar?