Posted to alt.home.repair

Default difference between left-handed compound tin snips and straight ones?

What is the difference between left-handed compound tin snips and
straight ones? Is it just that they are bent so one's hand goes over
the sheet metal? And you can see the cut line from one side and not so
easily from the other?

Or do left-handed ones tend to make curved cuts?

I haven't used the one-sided ones enough to rememeber, and I lent out my
straight, yellow-handle Wise compound tin snips, and my red ones. I
can't get them back immediately, so I need to buy another one tomorrow.
I'd rather buy what I don't own, green ones, unless it will be harder to
cut a straight line with them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 03 Feb 2020 01:09:32 -0500, micky
wrote:

What is the difference between left-handed compound tin snips and
straight ones? Is it just that they are bent so one's hand goes over
the sheet metal? And you can see the cut line from one side and not so
easily from the other?

Or do left-handed ones tend to make curved cuts?

I haven't used the one-sided ones enough to rememeber, and I lent out my
straight, yellow-handle Wiss compound tin snips, and my red ones. I
can't get them back immediately, so I need to buy another one tomorrow.
I'd rather buy what I don't own, green ones, unless it will be harder to
cut a straight line with them.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Wiss-9-3...M3RS/100060795

If you look at the first video on this page. it's great.

It shows in some detail how they make these things. It's not something
you can do at home, and it's impressive how many they make at once.

Though they don't say a word about being made in the USA, they do say
they're made in S. Carolina, and you can see how much robotics and mass
production goes into it. I don't know how such tools used to be made
and I didn't plan to get into politics, but I think you can see why
there are fewer people used in manufacturing, at least if this is
typical. And interestingly, every employee they show whose sex is
clear** is a woman! A black woman for that matter. Southern states
tend to be weaker on unions but I don't know about this place.

**Two of them are wearing high-temp suits from head to toe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is the difference between left-handed compound tin snips and
straight ones? Is it just that they are bent so one's hand goes over
the sheet metal? And you can see the cut line from one side and not so
easily from the other?

Or do left-handed ones tend to make curved cuts?

I haven't used the one-sided ones enough to rememeber, and I lent out my
straight, yellow-handle Wise compound tin snips, and my red ones. I
can't get them back immediately, so I need to buy another one tomorrow.
I'd rather buy what I don't own, green ones, unless it will be harder to
cut a straight line with them.

One cuts curves to the left, one cuts curves to the right and one cuts
straight. If you are seriously into metal fabrication you should own
all three.