Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Asbestos tiles in closet

I have what I believe is 9x9 asbestos tiles on all my closet floors few broken
or cracked. I have some leftover laminate flooring food I just put that over
the tiles as to not do more damage to them by taking things in and out of the
closet or should it be some how sealed could I use adhesive carpet squares or
tiles

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1207807-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-5, Nech2 wrote:
I have what I believe is 9x9 asbestos tiles on all my closet floors few broken
or cracked. I have some leftover laminate flooring food I just put that over
the tiles as to not do more damage to them by taking things in and out of the
closet or should it be some how sealed could I use adhesive carpet squares or
tiles

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1207807-.htm

I would put something new and permanent over it, whether that is sheet
vinyl, vinyl tiles, composite wood, carpet tiles, etc is up to you.
The asbestos is only a problem if it's disturbed and gets into the air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 09:52:48 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 12:44:05 PM UTC-5, Nech2 wrote:
I have what I believe is 9x9 asbestos tiles on all my closet floors few broken
or cracked. I have some leftover laminate flooring food I just put that over
the tiles as to not do more damage to them by taking things in and out of the
closet or should it be some how sealed could I use adhesive carpet squares or
tiles

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...t-1207807-.htm

I would put something new and permanent over it, whether that is sheet
vinyl, vinyl tiles, composite wood, carpet tiles, etc is up to you.
The asbestos is only a problem if it's disturbed and gets into the air.

+ 1
... to my knowledge - the old floor tiles were not _ made from _
asbestos - but they had asbestos in the backing material.
ie: ripping them up created the hazard ..
That said - if you are renting or selling the house -
with knowledge of hazardous materials / conditions ..
I'd be keeping things on the QT ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 17:44:02 +0000, Nech2
m wrote:

I have what I believe is 9x9 asbestos tiles on all my closet floors few broken
or cracked. I have some leftover laminate flooring food I just put that over
the tiles as to not do more damage to them by taking things in and out of the
closet or should it be some how sealed could I use adhesive carpet squares or
tiles

Seal them with paint.
Or soak them with water and scrape them out and throw them in the
garbage. Wear a mask to be safe, but wet asbestos does notget airborn.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 12:44 PM, Nech2 wrote:
I have what I believe is 9x9 asbestos tiles on all my closet floors few
broken
or cracked. I have some leftover laminate flooring food I just put that
over
the tiles as to not do more damage to them by taking things in and out
of the
closet or should it be some how sealedÂ* could I use adhesive carpet
squares or
tiles

How do you plan to lay the new floor over them? Adhesive? Nails? Using
nails will break the asbestos tiles and cause airborne particles. Not
something I'd do. Adhesive will be on top of the asbestos tiles and have
to rely on the integrity of those tiles which in time, could start to
loosen. I'd choose to remove the tiles and be done with any potential
problems. If it's a large area, you could hire a professional.
Otherwise, I'd wet the entire area and remove it myself using protective
gear, of course.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

The asbestos is bound up by the composite resin. It is not going to
jump up at you. I'd just glue over it or if I wanted to remove it just
use a dust mask and bag the tiles in a plastic bag for regular trash
disposal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

Which could also be asbestos material.

It is not going to
jump up at you.

It can if disturbed and it only requires a single particle.

I'd just glue over it or if I wanted to remove it just
use a dust mask and bag the tiles in a plastic bag for regular trash
disposal.

Have you had any asbestos removal training? With that advice, I'm
guessing no. It's not advisable to use a dust mask with asbestos removal
even when wetting. You can do so yourself but to advise another is wrong.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, February 2, 2020 at 11:52:11 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

It only requires a single particle to do what, exactly?

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

To inhale and develop mesothelioma.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

If it only requires a single particle of asbestos to make someone sick
or kill them, we'd have a far worse epidemic. AFAIK, the actual cases
have all been people who had a lot of exposure, eg working in ship yards,
brakes, etc, where it was flying all over the place.

I'd just glue over it or if I wanted to remove it just
use a dust mask and bag the tiles in a plastic bag for regular trash
disposal.

Have you had any asbestos removal training? With that advice, I'm
guessing no. It's not advisable to use a dust mask with asbestos removal
even when wetting. You can do so yourself but to advise another is wrong.

Which is why I recommended just leaving it and covering it with another
flooring material.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

Technically, that might be true. However what is the PROBABILITY of that
happening? So small, it's negligible. If it was any reasonable probability
we'd have an epidemic of people sick, with no history of exposure. Like
how many particles do you think people breathed in from brake dust released
by the car ahead of you, floating in the air in cities, etc? Yet the
actual cases are people who had some history of working with it or near it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure I've inhaled more than one particle of asbestos in my
life.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

Â* I worked as a flooring installer when asbestos was a common component
in vinyl sheet goods . I'm certain that I have inhaled it while tearing
out existing flooring for replacement . Apparently no lung damage though
, from the x-rays and CT scans that were done a couple of years ago by
the VA .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* It is not going to
jump up at you.

It can if disturbed and it only requires a single particle.

It only requires a single particle to do what, exactly?

Cindy Hamilton

To inhale and develop mesothelioma.

If that were true, we all would be dead or be living with mesothelioma.

The problem with asbestos is that particles lodge in the lungs and are
not expelled plus it is inert and does not disintegrate. Irritation of
the lungs is worse for smokers and causes mesothelioma.

I am not a toxicologist but have plenty of experience in the area. One
of my assignments was as department coordinator with the company's
toxicology laboratory which was quite large.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

According to the web site, www.asbestos.com the average latency period
between asbestos exposure and the development of mesthelioma is 40
years. It can be as little as 10-15 years after heavy exposure.

In the military, you would be categorized as occupationally exposed and
monitored indefinitely. Best of luck and hope you remain healthy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

not expelled plus it is inert and does not disintegrate.Â* Irritation of
the lungs is worse for smokers and causes mesothelioma.

I am not a toxicologist but have plenty of experience in the area.Â* One
of my assignments was as department coordinator with the company's
toxicology laboratory which was quite large.

As in cigarette smoking, some can smoke til they reach 100 and never
develop cancer but that's not for all. Genetics play a key role but
unless one has genetic testing, they are unsure of what can develop or
not. Asbestos is a cancer causing substance. Will it effect everyone
exposed to it? Probably not but why risk it, and to advise someone, when
you know noting of their genetic history, to just wear a mask, is still
wrong.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

Chances are many of us have. I'm sure I have also but read Peter's reply
about latency period. The worse case is of course cancer. In many, it
can cause minor irritation and often leads to inflammation, scarring and
damage to body cells along with shortness of breath.

For the sake of your loved ones, I hope nothing develops in you as I
hope nothing in me from past exposures. Bottom line, to shrug it off as
no big deal is simply risky. If one wants to push that risk upon
themself, go for it but I would never advise a person to do so nor tell
them it's acceptable to do something without them knowing the risk.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/2/2020 8:21 PM, Frank wrote:
On 2/2/2020 7:39 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

The hysterical among us would have you believe a single microscopic
particle of asbestos will cause mesothelioma or other cancers that
will kill you dead. If that was the case I'd have been dead a long
time ago. I have taken pretty serious precautions to limit my exposure
to asbestos dust but as a mechanic working on brakes and clutches from
the late sixties on I KNOW I've been exposed - and we used a mixture
of asbestos cement and plaster of paris as an ART material!!!!!

DryLok over Asbestos Tile? (or how to waterproof over asbestos tile) Dan Home Repair 4 May 21st 17 02:01 AM
Closet Organization - Use Your Space Wisely. Closet Organization Video trav Home Repair 0 October 13th 07 04:52 PM
Old floor tiles likely to contain asbestos? [email protected] UK diy 13 February 20th 07 02:02 PM
Asbestos roofing tiles - how common are they? Tim S UK diy 18 April 22nd 06 02:45 PM
Asbestos in floor tiles of 50+ year old home - please advise ... powerjenn Home Repair 8 January 26th 05 04:46 AM