Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone here ever use rubber electrical tape?

This is not your garden variety 3M 33. It is rubber amalgamating tape
used on high voltage splices up to 67kv.
What else is it good for?
I managed to come into 5 cases in an auction thinking I was getting 5
rolls and I have a lifetime supply ... for half of the IBEW.
Anybody want some? Send me a prepaid shipping label and all you want
is free. 20 rolls is a nice fit in a medium priority flat rate box.
I trolled out some on Ebay and Craigslist but no bites so far.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RBsAA...MO/s-l1600.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 21:26:44 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:13:37 -0500, wrote:

This is not your garden variety 3M 33. It is rubber amalgamating tape
used on high voltage splices up to 67kv.
What else is it good for?
I managed to come into 5 cases in an auction thinking I was getting 5
rolls and I have a lifetime supply ... for half of the IBEW.
Anybody want some? Send me a prepaid shipping label and all you want
is free. 20 rolls is a nice fit in a medium priority flat rate box.
I trolled out some on Ebay and Craigslist but no bites so far.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RBsAA...MO/s-l1600.jpg
If the shipping wasn't more than the cost of the tape I'd likely
jump on a few rolls. What's it cost to ship a box to N2K1W7 in Canada?

Dunno but you are probably right. Shipping to Canada is silly
expensive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This is not your garden variety 3M 33. It is rubber amalgamating tape
used on high voltage splices up to 67kv.
What else is it good for?
I managed to come into 5 cases in an auction thinking I was getting 5
rolls and I have a lifetime supply ... for half of the IBEW.
Anybody want some? Send me a prepaid shipping label and all you want
is free. 20 rolls is a nice fit in a medium priority flat rate box.
I trolled out some on Ebay and Craigslist but no bites so far.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RBsAA...MO/s-l1600.jpg
If the shipping wasn't more than the cost of the tape I'd likely
jump on a few rolls. What's it cost to ship a box to N2K1W7 in Canada?

Dunno but you are probably right. Shipping to Canada is silly
expensive.

Somehow almost twice as expensive as shipping it south to the states.
I could likely buy a crate of it from china,including shipping, for
what it would cost to send a sixpack of it from buffalo or detroit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In t Ralph Mowery writes:

The shipping cost is something I just do not seem to get. Canada/US is
very expensive, however getting items off Ebay from China and some other
countries is almost nothing. One would think that just going across the
border from Canada to US would hardly matter. I mean the distance from
the east side of Canada to Florida is about like California to Florida.

President Trump (let's ut aside the larger political issues
for now, ok?) specifically mentioned this issue - namely that
as part of the International Postal Union agreements, it was
cheaper to ship from Shanghai to Chicago than LA to Chicago.

(Ok, I'm making up that specific example, but he had real ones)

He said he'd be tearing up that treaty as part of the whole
international tariff renogotiation deal

Things didn't quite work out that far...

Note again: Not, NOT, intending this to be a thread
abotu the bigger politics. Just as an informative
post to say yes, the White House was aware of this.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 10:58:58 AM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Dunno but you are probably right. Shipping to Canada is silly
expensive.

Somehow almost twice as expensive as shipping it south to the states.
I could likely buy a crate of it from china,including shipping, for
what it would cost to send a sixpack of it from buffalo or detroit.

The shipping cost is something I just do not seem to get. Canada/US is
very expensive, however getting items off Ebay from China and some other
countries is almost nothing. One would think that just going across the
border from Canada to US would hardly matter. I mean the distance from
the east side of Canada to Florida is about like California to Florida.

I can get a forever stamp to send a first class letter over seas for
about $ 1.25. I just got in some small plastic pieces from China for
less than $ 1 that included the parts and shipping. I bought something
from India and the express shipping from DHL was not very much.

I share your issue and I've brought it up here before. It's complicated
and I've never seen a good explanation. What we need is something that
explains what it costs a vendor in China for postage to get these items
here and what the US winds up actually receiving. The basic concept is
that a treaty was signed in the 1800s whereby the sending country keeps
the postage. How the rates are set, IDK, but today it has something to
do with countries being classified in tiers. The sending company keeping
all the postage works OK if it's about balanced. But problems in the last
century, where mailing was very imbalanced, lead to terminal dues. That
is where a country that sends more mail to another country, based on
weight, has to hand over a fee to the receiving company.

Like I said, how this all works, IDK, but it's not fair. If you or I
see something on Ebay, it's about $3 to send a small, one ounce packet
within the USA. I'm sure volume commercial businesses have lower rates,
but they still must be paying $1 or more. Yet Chinese vendors are
selling the item with shipping for $1! A guy here in NJ, decades ago
started a campaign about this. He had invented and patented a drinking
cup to use in your car. I forget the exact numbers, but he was selling
it for like $8 plus shipping. Soon it was knocked off by the Chinese
and they were selling it here for $7 including shipping. Despite all
the complaining, this never got fixed.

I know last Fall the Trump administration was threatening to withdraw
from the intl postal treaty, with this being a core issue. That's a
good thing, something Trump was doing that was right. It got resolved
and we're still in the treaty. So, the remaining question is if whatever
is changed is still coming and we haven't seen it or it did not fix
the above and we lost again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/01/2020 08:58 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
The shipping cost is something I just do not seem to get. Canada/US is
very expensive, however getting items off Ebay from China and some other
countries is almost nothing. One would think that just going across the
border from Canada to US would hardly matter. I mean the distance from
the east side of Canada to Florida is about like California to Florida.

I recently bought a DVD from Amazon that is a Smithsonian Folkways
recording of an old time banjo player. I didn't pay attention to the
details and was surprised when it arrived in a few days with a Royal
Post stamp on it. Not a clue why a US manufactured DVD took a detour to
England.

I've also ordered books directly from Ireland and a DVD from India. No
problems, quick delivery, and no exorbitant fees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Thank the International Postal Union (treaty) that says if you pay
local postage, the foreign country carries it free.
I am sure China gives their merchants virtually free postage to the
ship and we carry it the rest of the way for free. That is why I can
buy a mouse from China for $2 with shipping and it would cost me $3+
to send it to the guy across the street.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 1 Feb 2020 10:58:49 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

ibid

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 02 Feb 2020 00:38:59 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:13:37 -0500,
wrote:

This is not your garden variety 3M 33. It is rubber amalgamating tape
used on high voltage splices up to 67kv.
What else is it good for?

When workmen for the guy next door carelessly cut my phone/internet
lines, they were going to use wire nuts and electric tape. I used
solder and something like what you're describing.

I managed to come into 5 cases in an auction thinking I was getting 5
rolls and I have a lifetime supply ... for half of the IBEW.
Anybody want some? Send me a prepaid shipping label and all you want

One or two rolls would be great. How do I the send the label to you?
Do I have to know the postage to buy it prepaid? How much postage do
you think?

Remove NONONO from my email address to get my real address.

is free. 20 rolls is a nice fit in a medium priority flat rate box.
I trolled out some on Ebay and Craigslist but no bites so far.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/RBsAA...MO/s-l1600.jpg

I am still testing this but I think I can get away with a roll in a
padded envelope for $2.20 but there are too heavy for 2. (DHS rules).
$2.20 A roll seems like not that great a deal when you can get 20 for
$15.05. The large flat rate box looks like it holds ~42-44 for $21
and change for the power user but I am still waiting for some from
USPS.

I will let you know when I get down to my last 100 rolls or so but my
wife is still screwing with me.
She walks by the stack of boxes and kicks them.
"What's in the boxes? Is it .... Tape"?
and **** like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I can't be that simple, for example an international letter here costs $1.15,
while domestic it's .55. But I agree something is very wrong somewhere
and I've suspected the same thing, that it could be because China has
low internal rates. But as I said earlier, there are terminal dues and
that is based in part on grouping of countries based on exactly what,
IDK. But places like the US and Canada are in one tier and China is
in the developing, third world country bunch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not to throw a wrench into your new business, but
how do you ship a padded envelope with something that weighs a few
ounces for $2.20? The only choices I see with the online USPS calculator
and on Ebay, it's $2.70 min to about $3.10 based on distance and
that's for a package that's one or two ounces and with Ebay discount.
Let me guess. You took the weight and treated it as a letter weighing
4 ounces? You can't do that. Once it's over 1/4" thick, or not of
uniform thickness, it's no longer a letter. And it winds up
getting treated like a package, whether it's in an envelope or box.
That's been my experience. If you have some way, I'd love to hear it,
would save me money.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/02/2020 08:17 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
Some of those plastic anchors where you drill a 1/4 inch hole in the
wall and use what looks like a sheet metal screw with. The fellow
thought he was ordering a box of 100. Wound up with a cardboard box
that had many boxes of 100 in them. Must have been 50 thousand of those
things. That box was at least 2 feet in each direction.

There was a Montgomery Ward distribution center near where I grew up so
you could phone in an order and go down and pick it up. The pickup was
like the lottery; sometimes you got what you ordered, sometimes you
didn't. Whether you mentioned that all depended.

I ordered a box of wheel weights, maybe 5 pounds or whatever the
smallest selection was. When the guy staggered out with the garage
assortment I paid the cashier the amount it said on the invoice and
staggered out to the car with a lifetime supply of weights.

A lot of their merchandise was marked good, better, and best in the
catalog. Getting a free upgrade courtesy of a semi-literate stock picker
was always a possibility. otoh, you had to examine it closely to make
sure it hadn't went the other way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It is of uniform thickness and these things weigh 7 oz each. Using the
"large envelope" tab on the postage calculator, that is what I get. I
said, I am going to see what happens. It may come in with a buck or so
in unpaid postage but we will see.

BTW this is far from a business. I am just recycling something that
might have gone to the landfill and trying to help folks out who want
some. Since this stuff goes for $5-9 a roll depending on where I have
looked, it should be helpful at 62-64 cents for a guy who uses it in
his business.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

IDK how you easily get rolls of tape into an envelope and have the
envelope be of uniform thickness. You would have to have some cardboard
filler or similar to fill the empty envelope space. But let's assume
you get by that. Let's also assume the resulting envelope is 3/4" thick
or less. That's the max for a large envelope. If none of that ends it,
then on that same menu of restrictions you went through is "Rigid - does not
bend easily". Your rolls of tape are rigid. That's why it costs $3
to send a 1 oz little widget.

The rigid thing, I have used cardboard to shield very small, pea size
items and had it returned to me for postage due, because it's .21
extra for rigid. And that was just cardboard that they consider rigid.
I solved that by just working the cardboard, folding it, curling it up
in both directions so it bends easier, then putting the tiny item
in a hole in the cardboard. There is actually a postal spec
for what constitutes rigid. I don't have the exact numbers, but it
went something like that the envelope will conform to the radius of
an 18 inch drum using a belt pressure of 30 lbs.

So, I don't think you're going to mail tape for $2. According to my
calculator and experience, 7 oz to CA is $5.00. The good news is you
can put it in a box, doesn't cost any more. But with the post office,
they don't know their own rules, so who knows. Related to this
envelope thing, I had a letter size envelope that just had the stiff
cardboard in it, under 1/4". At one post office here, the two trolls
insisted that it had to go as a flat or parcel or something that cost a lot
more. I have the USPS 100 page manual the describes the various attributes
and it's clear it should just be .21 cents extra for rigid. They have a
laminated flow chart at the post office, where you determine what it
is, what's allowed. So the trolls go and get that. Clear as day,
if you follow the flow chart, answer
the questions, eg is it 1/4" or less, is it rigid, you wind up down
the .55+ .21 cent extra path. The two trolls refused to even look at the
USPS flowchart that they had right there. I was polite, I kept saying,
if I'm wrong, just follow me here on your flowchart and show me
where I'm going wrong. Nope. One troll refused to look at it at all.
The other one looked, followed it, but couldn't even manage to say,
yes, I see what you're saying. She just stood there looking like a
troll. The final answer was, "we'll put whatever
postage you want on it". So, I had them put the extra .21 on it.
It got delivered, no problems, as have other identical ones, once
I got past the rigid part. The other post office here, same
envelope, .21 extra, no issues.

Also, I don't think they do the postage due anymore. All I can tell you
is that those first couple of cardboard envelopes were returned to me,
marked insufficient postage and it took several days for that too.

BTW this is far from a business. I am just recycling something that
might have gone to the landfill and trying to help folks out who want
some. Since this stuff goes for $5-9 a roll depending on where I have
looked, it should be helpful at 62-64 cents for a guy who uses it in
his business.

Except sadly I think the USPS means you're going to have to charge more.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 2 Feb 2020 12:31:09 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

IDK how you easily get rolls of tape into an envelope and have the
envelope be of uniform thickness.

I have mailed some weird **** in a padded envelope and had it get
there and by a like token I get stuff here I am not sure how they let
through. I will know in a few days.
I am really trying to stay with the flat rate boxes. That seems to be
the most "legal" and a good return on the recipient's investment.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

IDK how you easily get rolls of tape into an envelope and have the
envelope be of uniform thickness.

I have mailed some weird **** in a padded envelope and had it get
there and by a like token I get stuff here I am not sure how they let
through. I will know in a few days.
I am really trying to stay with the flat rate boxes. That seems to be
the most "legal" and a good return on the recipient's investment.

First class package is a lot less, if it's under 16 ounces, that's the
way to ship it. It's almost as fast as priority, sometimes just as
fast, depending on where it goes. Even priority
mail using your own box and going by weight is usually less than the
flat rate PM boxes, unless it's a heavy item.
Priority mail is often very little more than regular parcel service,
depending on distance, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

This is not your garden variety 3M 33. It is rubber amalgamating tape
used on high voltage splices up to 67kv.
What else is it good for?

When workmen for the guy next door carelessly cut my phone/internet
lines, they were going to use wire nuts and electric tape.

I forgot to say that they cut the wires when they were digging and the
connections were to be buried after they were wirenutted and taped.
Ugh. How long would that last.

I used
solder and something like what you're describing.

But that silicon tape will never come apart and looks waterproof , and
when I talked to the phone company, she it was better than what would
they would have used.

[...]

That's fine. I can't use 3 rolls no matter how hard I try, and if I
don't get even one roll, I'll live.

wife is still screwing with me.
She walks by the stack of boxes and kicks them.
"What's in the boxes? Is it .... Tape"?
and **** like that.

You're wife sounds like a card (Do people still use that word? For the
Canadians he a humorous person.)
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

[...]

a card short of a deck

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Best is silicone filled butt splices and they should be shrink wrapped
in silicone filled shrink tube. My phone line has had a splice made up
like that for 20 years. It will be like that until the fiber comes
down my street.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There are 2 in every deck. An unpredictable character - the Joker.

Pretty common usage up here too.
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

wrote:

[...]