Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ceiling fans, worth having?

Mickey's post about fans triggered this question. A short search
turned this up:
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-ceiling-fans
The short version is they're pretty much worthless.
Whatcha guys think?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2020 5:50 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Mickey's post about fans triggered this question.Â* A short search
turned this up:
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-ceiling-fans

Â*Â* The short version is they're pretty much worthless.
Whatcha guys think?

Â* We heat with wood , and without the ceiling fans all our heat would
be at the ceiling . Keeping the air moving makes the temps a lot more
uniform throughout the house . In winter they blow up so warm air moves
down around the perimeter , summer they blow down for direct airflow .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 31/1/20 11:00 pm, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/31/2020 5:50 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Mickey's post about fans triggered this question.Â* A short search
turned this up:
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-ceiling-fans

Â*Â* The short version is they're pretty much worthless.
Whatcha guys think?

Â* We heat with wood , and without the ceiling fans all our heat would
be at the ceiling . Keeping the air moving makes the temps a lot more
uniform throughout the house . In winter they blow up so warm air moves
down around the perimeter , summer they blow down for direct airflow .

We have ceiling fans in every room in our house. I'm not a great fan of
fans but my wife is. She prefers them to AC. That said, our climate here
is such that we really need neither AC nor heating year round. Only use
the AC a little in the high humidity 4-6 weeks of the year. When the air
is moisture laden, a fan is much less effective in making you feel cool.

All in all, it really comes down to a personal preference.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 7:11:04 AM UTC-5, Xeno wrote:
[...]

Have two here and like them. One in the den, one in the bedroom.
Only used in the summer, the breeze feels nice and makes it comfortable
at a slightly higher temp, which may save some energy. But I don't
buy some of the claims, like that they save energy in the winter by
moving hot air down and that you're supposed to reverse the direction.
I'm sure they move air around, but it would seem to me those putting
that theory forth have not considered that mixing it up now has air
moving around the ceiling and walls. I would think that would increase
heat loss. Left alone you get a boundary effect, where the air right
next to the surface is cold, a little further away it's warmer, a little
further it's room temp, etc. Mixing it constantly moves hot air against
the colder surfaces, just like air passing through a radiator.

So, I say if you like the breeze for comfort in the summer, go with it,
but don't expect miracles. One nice thing, with remotes now, you can just
wire them into any available hot circuit, use the remote, no wall wiring
needed. They even have wall brackets to hold the remotes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/31/2020 05:00 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/31/2020 5:50 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Mickey's post about fans triggered this question. A short search
turned this up:
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-ceiling-fans

The short version is they're pretty much worthless.
Whatcha guys think?

We heat with wood , and without the ceiling fans all our heat would be
at the ceiling . Keeping the air moving makes the temps a lot more
uniform throughout the house . In winter they blow up so warm air moves
down around the perimeter , summer they blow down for direct airflow .

I lived in a cabin with wood heat. It was very picturesque with sort of
a cathedral ceiling and a sleeping loft at one end. I'd come home after
work, throw some wood in the airtight stove, and it was soon up to a
comfortable temperature. Then I'd climb up to the loft that would be
around 90 degrees. I learned a lot about cabin design that winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 31, 2020 at 6:50:40 AM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Mickey's post about fans triggered this question. A short search
turned this up:
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-ceiling-fans
The short version is they're pretty much worthless.
Whatcha guys think?

We have them in bedrooms, living room, and home office. I'd bet that
all of them are running right now, except perhaps the living room.

When we don't use them, the air stratifies, even though we run the
furnace blower 24/7/365. I wouldn't want to do without them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/31/2020 6:50 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
Â* Mickey's post about fans triggered this question.Â* A short search
turned this up:
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-ceiling-fans

Â*Â* The short version is they're pretty much worthless.
Whatcha guys think?

I think it is a dumb article, good for click bait.

Last house I had them and when we moved here a year ago installed them
in the bedrooms, living room, and the lanai.

In the last house the only time it was used in winter was to move the
heated air from the wood burning stove to distribute it better. They
were mostly for summer.

Pretty much the same in this house. With gentle air moving you feel
more comfortable and work the AC less.

The ones in the bedrooms have remotes so they can be operated as needed
from the bed. The lights are rarely used but can be dimmed from the
remote also. Even sitting out on the lanai on a calm day you can get a
gentle breeze.

They definitely can increase comfort and keep temperatures even. The
one in the bedroom has not been used for weeks but will be on every
night in summer. The living room get used more but also has been off
recently but will be back on. Especially nice since the LR ceiling is
coffered and about 11 feet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think they help at all with thermal comfort.

I use one in the bedroom, it adds a little white noise. Also they stir the air enough that odors disappear faster as particles stick to the walls.

In the basement I have a small fan pointed horizontal that I run all the time. I figure if I keep the air mixed and moving more of it passes through the dehumidifier.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 05:50:34 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Mickey's post about fans triggered this question. A short search
turned this up:
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-ceiling-fans
The short version is they're pretty much worthless.
Whatcha guys think?

I put ceiling fans in the auto repair shop a few decades ago and the
floors stayed dry, the overhead doors didn't ice up,and we saved over
10% in heating costs. Also helped keep the place livable in the
summer.

I have a ceiling fan in the kitchen and I would hate to give it up. We
put them in the great room of the insurnace office too, and it kept
the temperatures much more even.

In the Hangar there is radiant heat, and the ceiling fans help the
areas that are not directly heated by the radiant warm up as well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 31 Jan 2020 05:50:34 -0600, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Mickey's post about fans triggered this question. A short search
turned this up:
https://www.energyvanguard.com/blog/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-ceiling-fans
The short version is they're pretty much worthless.
Whatcha guys think?

Ceiling fans have been made and sold for about 140 years.
And you're just asking? I'm guessing you don't have any ceiling fans.
The author isn't against these fans - he uses them.
I put them in 6 rooms - they make a huge difference in summer.
I can set the A/C to 80 instead of 70. Don't use them in winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Btw, when I bought the house long ago, I put ceiling lights in two
bedrooms. Never regretted not putting in fans.

Could put them in now I think. Won't they run on two wires and use
remote control to turn the fan and/or light on/off? No desire to do
this. Just use table fans.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 31 Jan 2020 16:17:23 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

In the Hangar there is radiant heat, and the ceiling fans help the
areas that are not directly heated by the radiant warm up as well.

What do you hang in the Hangar?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In the Hangar there is radiant heat, and the ceiling fans help the
areas that are not directly heated by the radiant warm up as well.

What do you hang in the Hangar?

Right now there is a Zenith 600 on the hoist and a little amphibian
beside it. Up untill last fall there was a '46 AerCoupe on the hoist.
A Lotus 7 chassis up in the mezanine along with IIRC another
airplane. Several welders, a Mandrel bending machine, a lathe, drill
press, and a lot of other neat stuff. Not mine (or at least most of it
is not) There was an Isetta under the hoist for most of the summer,
and other projects that rotate through. Hangar belongs to a good
friend and I have a key.