Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How keep a threaded rod centered thru a 1,5" hole

Hello all,

I am trying to install a Moen faucet to an existing basin. I discovered that the threaded rod that goes down through the mounting hole does not keep centered when I tighten the thread from the bottom.

So the base of the spout slides forward and exposes part of the 1.5" mounting hole.

I am trying to get the base to stay in place with plumbers putty, but I doubt it will work.

I looked for a very large cone washer, but it does not seem to exist.

I can think of various spacers (1.5" OD, .25" ID) that would do the job, but I don't have access to the tools to manufacture them anymore.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

P.S.: Here is a photo of what it looks like now:

https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/ph...d-0f374d104c9a
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/20 6:36 PM, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to install a Moen faucet to an existing basin. I discovered that the threaded rod that goes down through the mounting hole does not keep centered when I tighten the thread from the bottom.

So the base of the spout slides forward and exposes part of the 1.5" mounting hole.

I am trying to get the base to stay in place with plumbers putty, but I doubt it will work.

I looked for a very large cone washer, but it does not seem to exist.

I can think of various spacers (1.5" OD, .25" ID) that would do the job, but I don't have access to the tools to manufacture them anymore.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

P.S.: Here is a photo of what it looks like now:

https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/ph...d-0f374d104c9a

cable glands, liquidtite strain relief hubs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 7:36:10 PM UTC-5, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to install a Moen faucet to an existing basin. I discovered that the threaded rod that goes down through the mounting hole does not keep centered when I tighten the thread from the bottom.

So the base of the spout slides forward and exposes part of the 1.5" mounting hole.

I am trying to get the base to stay in place with plumbers putty, but I doubt it will work.

I looked for a very large cone washer, but it does not seem to exist.

I can think of various spacers (1.5" OD, .25" ID) that would do the job, but I don't have access to the tools to manufacture them anymore.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

P.S.: Here is a photo of what it looks like now:

https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/ph...d-0f374d104c9a

What do the specs for the faucet say about what size holes it's supposed
to fit? From what I can see, looks like a big hole and small escutcheon.
If it's intended to fit, they usually do. Have you tried having someone
hold it centered while you tighten it up? But then it may still wind up
moving over time from people pushing on it. How about just wrapping the
faucet part up with duct tape to make it wider? Or maybe a piece of pipe
insulation of the right diameter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/20 6:36 PM, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to install a Moen faucet to an existing basin. I discovered that the threaded rod that goes down through the mounting hole does not keep centered when I tighten the thread from the bottom.

So the base of the spout slides forward and exposes part of the 1.5" mounting hole.

I am trying to get the base to stay in place with plumbers putty, but I doubt it will work.

I looked for a very large cone washer, but it does not seem to exist.

I can think of various spacers (1.5" OD, .25" ID) that would do the job, but I don't have access to the tools to manufacture them anymore.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

P.S.: Here is a photo of what it looks like now:

https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/ph...d-0f374d104c9a

Would something on this page help?
https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Split+Pipe+Escutcheon&FORM=RESTAB
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Jan 2020 16:36:06 -0800 (PST), Deguza
wrote:

Hello all,

I am trying to install a Moen faucet to an existing basin. I discovered that the threaded rod that goes down through the mounting hole does not keep centered when I tighten the thread from the bottom.

So the base of the spout slides forward and exposes part of the 1.5" mounting hole.

I am trying to get the base to stay in place with plumbers putty, but I doubt it will work.

Have a helper hold it in place?

I've found duct tape to be sort of mushy. How about wrapping in
Gorilla tape until it's the diameter of the hole.

I looked for a very large cone washer, but it does not seem to exist.

I can think of various spacers (1.5" OD, .25" ID) that would do the job, but I don't have access to the tools to manufacture them anymore.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

P.S.: Here is a photo of what it looks like now:

https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/ph...d-0f374d104c9a

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Punch a hole through a bottle cap (milkor juice bottle, whatever)and
wrap it with tape to fill the hole -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 7:12:27 PM UTC-8, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 1/30/20 6:36 PM, Deguza wrote:
[...]

Dean,

I tried on. It almost worked. It turned out to be a bit tall and could not get the nut to the threaded part of the pipe coming down.

I will look around for something that is a bit shorter.

Thanks for the idea!

Posted to alt.home.repair

deguartu wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of wrapping it with something. I first thought of tape as you suggested, but then I thought of using unstranded solid copper wire. I could not find any at home, I will visit Homedepot soon.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

deguart wrote:

[...]

You and I are on the same idea! I tried a few caps, they were too large. Two days ago I found a small pill bottle that may work.

Thanks!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/30/20 6:36 PM, Deguza wrote:
[...]

Sorry for the typo, it should have been "I tried one".

Posted to alt.home.repair

deguartu wrote:

[...]

Do you have a tie down strap? They're an inch or two wide. I
imagine Harbor Freight would have a cheap one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I wonder if there's a part missing. Check the box for some kind of tapered plug, look in the waste basket, try parts upside down, etc.

Failing that (oh, and do check the installation instructions - as bad as they're usually translated, once in a while there's a clue) spend another $200 on an Ender 3 3D printer and make yourself a spacer. Once you have one you'll find a million uses for it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 1, 2020 at 8:53:39 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
I wonder if there's a part missing. Check the box for some kind of tapered plug, look in the waste basket, try parts upside down, etc.

Failing that (oh, and do check the installation instructions - as bad as they're usually translated, once in a while there's a clue) spend another $200 on an Ender 3 3D printer and make yourself a spacer. Once you have one you'll find a million uses for it.

RTFM?

I suggested before that something was wrong, standard faucets fit standard holes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 6:36:10 PM UTC-6, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to install a Moen faucet to an existing basin. I discovered that the threaded rod that goes down through the mounting hole does not keep centered when I tighten the thread from the bottom.

So the base of the spout slides forward and exposes part of the 1.5" mounting hole.

I am trying to get the base to stay in place with plumbers putty, but I doubt it will work.

I looked for a very large cone washer, but it does not seem to exist.

I can think of various spacers (1.5" OD, .25" ID) that would do the job, but I don't have access to the tools to manufacture them anymore.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

P.S.: Here is a photo of what it looks like now:

https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/ph...d-0f374d104c9a

One on the top one on the bottom indents face each other https://www.lowes..com/pd/Sigma-Elec...itting/3391662
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.war.vietnam,alt.baldspot

On 1/30/2020 4:36 PM, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to install a Moen faucet to an existing basin. I discovered that the threaded rod that goes down through the mounting hole does not keep centered when I tighten the thread from the bottom.

So the base of the spout slides forward and exposes part of the 1.5" mounting hole.

I am trying to get the base to stay in place with plumbers putty, but I doubt it will work.

I looked for a very large cone washer, but it does not seem to exist.

I can think of various spacers (1.5" OD, .25" ID) that would do the job, but I don't have access to the tools to manufacture them anymore.

Any recommendations?

Yeah. Call a real plumber who knows what the **** he's doing.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 30, 2020 at 4:36:10 PM UTC-8, Deguza wrote:
Hello all,

I am trying to install a Moen faucet to an existing basin. I discovered that the threaded rod that goes down through the mounting hole does not keep centered when I tighten the thread from the bottom.

So the base of the spout slides forward and exposes part of the 1.5" mounting hole.

I am trying to get the base to stay in place with plumbers putty, but I doubt it will work.

I looked for a very large cone washer, but it does not seem to exist.

I can think of various spacers (1.5" OD, .25" ID) that would do the job, but I don't have access to the tools to manufacture them anymore.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Deguza

P.S.: Here is a photo of what it looks like now:

https://photos-us.bazaarvoice.com/ph...d-0f374d104c9a

Hello all,

I solved the problem by replacing the big bulky plastic piece with a smaller PVC fitting. I wanted to use a fender and a smaller washer for the Moen-supplied metal piece, but the hole was a bit small. So I turned the Moen metal piece sideways!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Here are the before and after pictures:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jVbDDCF5bK5Co76LA