Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

Default slow drying ink source?

Not really a home repair issue, but since a lot of other projects can
overlap and there are a lot of responsive folks in this group....

I am currently trying to test a weather instrument called a barograph.
It has a rotating drum that records barometric pressure on a removable
chart. The charts are removed and replaced weekly. A specialized pen
is used to write to the chart.

My issue is that I only want to test it for a week because I want to
resell. It is supposed to use a slow drying ink, where a drop is added
to the triangular pen ink reservoir. However, for even small amounts of
this ink, the tiny bottles are running like $14, which was more than the
$10 (bargain) I paid for the device. It's called barograph ink, but as
I often know with things like this, giving it a special name causes
higher cost and there probably are other inks out there that are slow
drying that will work.

Your help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 08:21:45 -0500, J-J wrote:

[...]

I have the same problem with my Wexler thermo humidigraph. This ink is
such a low volume item that it is expensive. The actual pens are
ridiculous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , J-J wrote:

[...]

J-J-

What about rubber stamp ink? You buy it in a small bottle that is
corked by some kind of sponge, and smear it on the stamp pad. It does
not seem to dry on the pad, but soaks into the paper that is stamped.

I think the price is in the $5 range, but you might already have some.

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2020 12:19 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
barograph ink

I can't find composition for this ink but would buy some cheap fountain
pen ink and try adding things to it to slow down drying. I even saw
some mention of adding honey to the ink. There are also water soluble
solvents like diethylene glycol that might work to slow down rate of
evaporation.

Price of inkjet printer ink annoys us. You used to be able to re-ink
cartridges but now with HP and maybe others that will not work.

Reminds me decades ago of researchers at Kodak telling me that they sold
their cameras at cost but made huge profits from their films.

Now the printer makers are doing it, selling printers at no profit to
make it up on ink.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2020 1:52 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/27/2020 12:19 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
barograph ink

I can't find composition for this ink but would buy some cheap fountain pen ink and try adding things to it to slow down drying. I even saw some mention of adding honey to the ink.Â* There are also water soluble solvents like diethylene glycol that
might work to slow down rate of evaporation.

Price of inkjet printer ink annoys us.Â* You used to be able to re-ink cartridges but now with HP and maybe others that will not work.

Reminds me decades ago of researchers at Kodak telling me that they sold their cameras at cost but made huge profits from their films.

Now the printer makers are doing it, selling printers at no profit to make it up on ink.

I'm surprised Harbor Freight doesn't have a line of Chicago Electric inkjet printers with 1 gallon ink refills for $29.95.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

food coloring in a glycerine base?

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Sugar . . 10 gm. Water . . . . 250 cc

Heat the water and dissolve the sugar in it ; add the glycerine in
small quantities
and stir the mixture thoroughly until each added portion is dissolved.
Beat up the
aniline colour in a small quantity of the mixture and stir into the
remainder of the
mixture. The ink is ready for use when cool. Various dyes can be used,
giving
different coloured inks.

This normal type of recording ink can be used at ambient temperatures
down to about 5° F. in the normal triangular pen, or to about —30° F.
in a pen of the crow-quill or tit-quill type, A special ink having
the composition, water 50 cc , ethylene glycol 50 cc , methyl violet 2
cc , can be used at temperatures down to about -50' F. with the
triangular pen or -75 °F. w ith the crow-quill or til-quill pens . .
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:20:57 -0500, Bod F wrote:

[...]

Inkjet ink is FAR from slow drying.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:20:57 -0500, Bod F wrote:

On 1/27/2020 1:52 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/27/2020 12:19 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
barograph ink

I can't find composition for this ink but would buy some cheap fountain pen ink and try adding things to it to slow down drying. I even saw some mention of adding honey to the ink.* There are also water soluble solvents like diethylene glycol that
might work to slow down rate of evaporation.

Price of inkjet printer ink annoys us.* You used to be able to re-ink cartridges but now with HP and maybe others that will not work.

Reminds me decades ago of researchers at Kodak telling me that they sold their cameras at cost but made huge profits from their films.

Now the printer makers are doing it, selling printers at no profit to make it up on ink.

Selling at below cost of manufacturing, actually - in many cases.

I'm surprised Harbor Freight doesn't have a line of Chicago Electric inkjet printers with 1 gallon ink refills for $29.95.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2020 5:08 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

The OP was lookin for slow-drying ink.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Jan 2020 15:20:57 -0500, Bod F
wrote:

On 1/27/2020 1:52 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/27/2020 12:19 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
barograph ink

I can't find composition for this ink but would buy some cheap fountain pen ink and try adding things to it to slow down drying. I even saw some mention of adding honey to the ink.* There are also water soluble solvents like diethylene glycol that
might work to slow down rate of evaporation.

Price of inkjet printer ink annoys us.* You used to be able to re-ink cartridges but now with HP and maybe others that will not work.

Reminds me decades ago of researchers at Kodak telling me that they sold their cameras at cost but made huge profits from their films.

They spend a fortune to design a 35mm film cartidge that couldnt' be
opened and reclosed without damaging it.

Now the printer makers are doing it, selling printers at no profit to make it up on ink.

They've been doing that for a long time. Or at least they've been making
it hard to refill cartridges or use aftermarket. Maybe they stepped up
their game recently??

I'm surprised Harbor Freight doesn't have a line of Chicago Electric inkjet printers with 1 gallon ink refills for $29.95.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 14:53:03 -0500, J-J wrote:

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/27/20 5:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Starting to look into the ingredients. Only hitch seems to be aniline
color. Is this food coloring drops or ?

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/search?query=aniline

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 14:49:07 -0500, J-J wrote:

[...]

Wow, yours truly wasn't sure how he missed this until today (and found
it in a google search to boot), but THANKS! I intend on giving this
formula a try very soon.

JJ

I was kinda wondering why there was no response . . ..
Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 2/5/20 8:51 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

I just stirred up a batch a little while ago. I was able to easily
source the water of course, glycerine, and sugar. I scaled everything
down to 1/10 of the recipe for now during testing. Only problem was the
dye as no one near me seems to have the powder, so I'm trying the RIT
liquid fabric dye for now. The result seems a lot thinner than the
Staples ink I had been using, but time will tell as the drum rotates and
I'll see what happens.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/27/20 5:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Starting to look into the ingredients. Only hitch seems to be aniline
color. Is this food coloring drops or ?

Generally used for leather dye- Also used in wood stain. Buy it at Lee
Valley.Water or alcohol soluable -originally made from coal tar and
tannin.

Any good wood finishing or leather craft place should have some - or
even an artists supply. Moser and Hewitt are two suppliers but there
are likely many others. Might even get it at Home Despot

Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/27/20 5:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Starting to look into the ingredients. Only hitch seems to be aniline
color. Is this food coloring drops or ?

Generally used for leather dye- Also used in wood stain. Buy it at Lee
Valley.Water or alcohol soluable -originally made from coal tar and
tannin.

Any good wood finishing or leather craft place should have some - or
even an artists supply. Moser and Hewitt are two suppliers but there
are likely many others. Might even get it at Home Despot

Perhaps this?

https://bit.ly/2UtWNgb

Says it can be used for wood too.

Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/27/20 5:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Starting to look into the ingredients. Only hitch seems to be aniline
color. Is this food coloring drops or ?

Generally used for leather dye- Also used in wood stain. Buy it at Lee
Valley.Water or alcohol soluable -originally made from coal tar and
tannin.

Any good wood finishing or leather craft place should have some - or
even an artists supply. Moser and Hewitt are two suppliers but there
are likely many others. Might even get it at Home Despot

Perhaps this?

https://bit.ly/2UtWNgb

Says it can be used for wood too.

Link does not work

https://www.michaels.com/rit-all-pur...SABEgLddPD_BwE
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/27/20 5:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Starting to look into the ingredients. Only hitch seems to be aniline
color. Is this food coloring drops or ?

Generally used for leather dye- Also used in wood stain. Buy it at Lee
Valley.Water or alcohol soluable -originally made from coal tar and
tannin.

Any good wood finishing or leather craft place should have some - or
even an artists supply. Moser and Hewitt are two suppliers but there
are likely many others. Might even get it at Home Despot

Perhaps this?

https://bit.ly/2UtWNgb

Says it can be used for wood too.

Link does not work

I don't know why people use bitly.crap
Just use the main url. Sheeeeeeeeesh!

https://www.michaels.com/rit-all-pur.../10556340.html
Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/27/20 5:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Starting to look into the ingredients.Â* Only hitch seems to be aniline
color.Â* Is this food coloring drops or ?

Generally used for leather dye- Also used in wood stain. Buy it at Lee
Valley.Water or alcohol soluable -originally made from coal tar and
tannin.

Any good wood finishing or leather craft place should have some - or
even an artists supply. Moser and Hewitt are two suppliers but there
are likely many others. Might even get it at Home Despot

Perhaps this?

https://bit.ly/2UtWNgb

Says it can be used for wood too.

Â* Link does not work

https://www.michaels.com/rit-all-pur...SABEgLddPD_BwE

Well, until I can find out more about the RIT powder dye, I went with
all I could get locally, the RIT liquid dye. Testing over the hours
since I last posted is showing a decent trace on the chart.

The only thing I'm wondering about now is mold over the long term.
Especially with sugar as an additive, I wonder if there's anything I
could add to the ink to act as a mold inhibitor?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/27/20 5:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Starting to look into the ingredients. Only hitch seems to be aniline
color. Is this food coloring drops or ?

Generally used for leather dye- Also used in wood stain. Buy it at Lee
Valley.Water or alcohol soluable -originally made from coal tar and
tannin.

Any good wood finishing or leather craft place should have some - or
even an artists supply. Moser and Hewitt are two suppliers but there
are likely many others. Might even get it at Home Despot

Perhaps this?

https://bit.ly/2UtWNgb

Says it can be used for wood too.

Link does not work

I don't know why people use bitly.crap
Just use the main url. Sheeeeeeeeesh!

https://www.michaels.com/rit-all-pur.../10556340.html

No difference - still comes up with a 404 error
Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
[...]

Ok, trying a different site then, same product:

https://www.ritdye.com/products/black-powder/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
[...]

You must have a democrat (non-working) internet connection.
Posted to alt.home.repair
J-J J-J is offline

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
On 1/27/20 5:07 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

The following formula is recommended :

Aniline colour . . 10 gm. Glycerine 125 cc

Starting to look into the ingredients.Â* Only hitch seems to be
aniline
color.Â* Is this food coloring drops or ?

Generally used for leather dye- Also used in wood stain. Buy it at
Lee
Valley.Water or alcohol soluable -originally made from coal tar and
tannin.

Any good wood finishing or leather craft place should have some - or
even an artists supply. Moser and Hewitt are two suppliers but there
are likely many others. Might even get it at Home Despot

Perhaps this?

https://bit.ly/2UtWNgb

Says it can be used for wood too.
Â*Â* Link does not work

I don't know why people use bitly.crap
Just use the main url.Â* Sheeeeeeeeesh!

https://www.michaels.com/rit-all-pur.../10556340.html

Â* No difference - still comes up with a 404 error

You must have a democrat (non-working) internet connection.

Not to change the subject too much as I am trying to research this ink,
but for several years, I'd get a 404 every time I visited the Lowe's
website. I even told them about it at the store one time and they had
no clue. In my case, it turned out to be No Script's fault. Even
though it showed that I was allowing script for the website, that wasn't
entirely true. Once fully enabled, I could again access Lowe's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
[...]

Not to change the subject too much as I am trying to research this ink, but for several years, I'd get a 404 every time I visited the Lowe's website.Â* I even told them about it at the store one time and they had no clue.Â* In my case, it turned out to
be No Script's fault.Â* Even though it showed that I was allowing script for the website, that wasn't entirely true.Â* Once fully enabled, I could again access Lowe's.

Agree, noscript tends to break websites.

Best solution I've found is to use VirtualBox and then generate a fresh instance at least daily.

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
[...]

Not aniline but it will likely work. Might fade with time - aniline
won't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 17:10:57 -0500, Grumpy Old White Guy
wrote:

On 2/5/20 2:49 PM, J-J wrote:
[...]

As far as the mold issue - Glyserine is sometimes used as a
preservative - might not be a problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/6/20 10:00 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

As far as the mold issue - Glyserine is sometimes used as a
preservative - might not be a problem.

I agree with the OP that it is a legitimate concern as pointed out in
this publication:

https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/jr...n5p651_A1b.pdf

Quote from the last page the

"The inks were prepared on July 9. On October 2 they were inspected, and
it was found that some of the corks of the tubes in which the inks had
been kept were moldy . When shaking the tubes to dissolve the dyes, all
the corks had been wet with the inks. Of the inks made with equal
volumes of glycerol and water, six con-tained dyes that permitted the
growth of mold. Three, and possibly four, species of mold were growing
and fruiting on the corks. With the mixture of 1 volume of glycerol and
3 volumes of water, there were 13 moldy corks, and in addition mold
was growing on the sur-face of 3 of the inks. No mold could be detected
on the corks that had been in contact with the inks made with ethylene
glycol at either dilution."

The issue is that they didn't provide a solution other than using
ethylene glycol, but the OP has already mixed his with the glycerin (and
also sugar according to the formula mentioned here which would be a
further attractor of mold).

I know with standing water sometimes, to prevent mold, a small amount of
bleach is added. Perhaps a few drops of bleach might do the trick,
although not sure how this would affect the ink solution. Another
possibility might be added alcohol, but might be more upsetting to the
solution as a greater quantity than bleach would most likely be needed.

Brother all in one says out of ink but there is ink printer scanner copier fax say micky Home Repair 21 August 9th 15 05:22 PM
Inkjet ink v faountain pen ink? Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 15 August 7th 15 05:30 AM
Is this an ink flow sensor? (Ink Jet printer) DaveC[_3_] Electronics Repair 23 February 4th 10 10:08 PM
Slow, slow, slow charlieb Woodturning 5 October 14th 09 04:43 PM
Ink Jet Driver Circuits Blown Due to Short Circuit Caused By Ink Spill? Dieter Schmitz Electronics Repair 0 December 19th 04 08:20 PM