Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What does this picture of a roof show?

What does this picture show:
https://static.companycam.com/lambda...eg?d=2880x2880

My standard 3-tab shingled roof is leaking into the 2nd flor in one spot
and a roofing company came out and looked at it.

I can't see the back half of the roof from the ground and I haven't been
up there, but from inside the attic I do see that several sheets of
plywood are water damaged, so even though it's only 13 years old, I need
a new roof, right? But I'd rather wait until warmer or drier weather,
and I'd like to just solve the one leak into the 2nd floor until then.

A roofer who came to look at it told me it shows that those who put on
the replacement roof 13 years ago caulked the weepholes in the ridge
rail, and that's the reason for the lake that bothers me. Is that what
you thought too?

Does that happen? Is it a problem?

Are those oblong holes the weepholes. Of those in the picture, it looks
like only one is partly blocked, and the others are open.

Can I get a handyman to clean out the weepholes, to last me until the
summer?

If it's the caulk, it's been there for 13 years. How come no drip into
the 2nd floor until this year?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted to alt.home.repair

My standard 3-tab shingled roof is leaking into the 2nd flor in one spot
and a roofing company came out and looked at it.
Thanks for any help you can give.

Get the guy at the coffee shop - you know -
the guy with the ball-cap and the tattoos
to recommend a roofer.
Best if he can come tomorrow - 'cause he's
at the racetrack every other day ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On 1/24/2020 9:43 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

Maybe toss a Harbor Freight tarp over it and nail 'er down?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 24 Jan 2020 22:09:33 -0500, Joe
wrote:

[...]

And put some gorilla tape over the nails for good measure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 24, 2020 at 9:43:13 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
[...]

This is interesting. Do you remember several years ago, we were
discussing ridge vents here? You claimed that the cutout for your ridge
vent was like a foot wide? And I said that can't be, that they are
typically cutout about one inch on each side, two inches total?
And that having one that wide made no sense? But you insisted that was
the way it was? Well, I guess you were right. LOL

Your roofer was a hack. With a normal 2" wide cutout, the ridge vent
cover is wide enough that water can't go uphill under it and get inside.
And they are not caulked, like yours is, which is further proof the
roofer was a hack. If the opening is indeed very wide, then the roofer
who did the replacement probably caulked at the edges because he figured
wind drive rain would get under it and run inside. Bad idea. The
correct idea would have been to reduce the size of the opening to what
it should be.

Is that the only picture? I presume the main area
is over your unit, where the problem is? To the right, which I assume
is your neighbor, there the roof sure is hosed big time, right up by
the ridge vent. It's all buckled. Is this even your problem? Isn't
this a condo situation, where the roof is a common area? If not, IDK
how this works, because it's all one continuous roof. What was the
process 13 years ago when the new roof was put on?

Finally, how old is this place? Back in the 80s for construction like
this they were using fire retardant plywood on the east coast. It had
a chemical added that activates at high temp and inhibits the fire.
Problem was that over time, roofs got hot enough that it activated
with no fire and the process releases an acid, that destroys the wood.
I'd make sure you don't have that crap. Most of it has already
been replaced. Of course you won't see any of this, since you have
me blocked from the little safe space that you're living in. Carry on.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 24 Jan 2020 22:09:33 -0500, Joe
wrote:

On 1/24/2020 9:43 PM, micky wrote:
What does this picture show:
https://static.companycam.com/lambda...eg?d=2880x2880

My standard 3-tab shingled roof is leaking into the 2nd flor in one spot
and a roofing company came out and looked at it.

I can't see the back half of the roof from the ground and I haven't been
up there, but from inside the attic I do see that several sheets of
plywood are water damaged, so even though it's only 13 years old, I need
a new roof, right? But I'd rather wait until warmer or drier weather,
and I'd like to just solve the one leak into the 2nd floor until then.

A roofer who came to look at it told me it shows that those who put on
the replacement roof 13 years ago caulked the weepholes in the ridge
rail, and that's the reason for the [leak] that bothers me. Is that what
you thought too?

Does that happen? Is it a problem?

Are those oblong holes the weepholes. Of those in the picture, it looks
like only one is partly blocked, and the others are open.

Can I get a handyman to clean out the weepholes, to last me until the
summer?

If it's the caulk, it's been there for 13 years. How come no drip into
the 2nd floor until this year?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Maybe toss a Harbor Freight tarp over it and nail 'er down?

Thanks. I know about tarps. I can't tell if you are trying to help or
you're just being sarcatic.

Can you or someone who knows something tell me what the picture shows?

And if the oblong holes are the weep-holes, and if opening any that are
closed would help keep water from backing up into the attic? Can you
tell me if there is anything wrong with having caulking at the bottom
edge of the ridge vent?

Less important. The guy who came out says there were no drip edges
installed. When the house was built in 1979, would that have been
acceptable? When the first replacmeent roof was put in in 2007, would
it still have met the standard of the industry? Or did I basically get
short changed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Built in 1979 you better make sure the roof isn't made of fire retardant
plywood. IDK about drip edge in 79, nor does it matter. But it certainly
should have been put on in 2007. Per my other post, that roofer was a hack.
But living in your little safe space, you have me blocked and won't read
this. It's going to be pouring and very windy today, hope you don't get
too wet over there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

If it's the caulk, it's been there for 13 years. How come no drip into
the 2nd floor until this year?

What I see in that picture... weep holes are clear. It's the bad
caulking between shingles and flashing. All those gaps will let
water in. Where the roof is buckled, I see no caulking at all.

I would get someone up there to recaulk that line asap. Fix the
buckled part later if you want to wait. For now, stop the leaks.
Recaulk it and check the other side too.

Note: No caulking outside will hold up for 13 years. With an
important thing like a roof, get that caulking checked and
repaired once a year or two.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 25, 2020 at 1:02:15 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
micky wrote:

If it's the caulk, it's been there for 13 years. How come no drip into
the 2nd floor until this year?

What I see in that picture... weep holes are clear. It's the bad
caulking between shingles and flashing. All those gaps will let
water in. Where the roof is buckled, I see no caulking at all.

I would get someone up there to recaulk that line asap.

It's not supposed to be caulked to begin with. The roofer was a hack.

Fix the
buckled part later if you want to wait. For now, stop the leaks.
Recaulk it and check the other side too.

Note: No caulking outside will hold up for 13 years. With an
important thing like a roof, get that caulking checked and
repaired once a year or two.

A roof done properly does not rely on caulking to begin with.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Don't know about the caulking, but there are MANY kinds of "ridge
vents" - some very good, some decent, and some terrible. Is the leak
at the ridge?

Drip molding has been a de-facto requirement since the early eighties
- not sure when it went into code - but only a cheapskate would have
done a re-roof without in 2007 - at least up here. Ice Guard was
pretty much universal on the eaves as well by that time up here.

A properly installed roof has to get pretty bad before it will
actially LEAK. The back of my garage looked like corn flakes and it
still didn't leak, (that's what the tar paper or "membrane" installed
before the shingles is for - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 13:03:47 -0500, Gary wrote:

micky wrote:

If it's the caulk, it's been there for 13 years. How come no drip into
the 2nd floor until this year?

What I see in that picture... weep holes are clear. It's the bad
caulking between shingles and flashing. All those gaps will let
water in. Where the roof is buckled, I see no caulking at all.

I would get someone up there to recaulk that line asap. Fix the
buckled part later if you want to wait. For now, stop the leaks.
Recaulk it and check the other side too.

Note: No caulking outside will hold up for 13 years. With an
important thing like a roof, get that caulking checked and
repaired once a year or two.

Actually the new caulking being used by quality window, door, and
siding installers will last AT LEAST 25 years - Mine has been 30 on
the upstairs windows and it's still pretty much the same as when it
was installed.

On a roof it won't last QUITE as long because of the heat etc - yet I
have a 25 year warranty on the flashing - including the caulk - on my
new roof.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 25 Jan 2020 13:52:51 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Note: No caulking outside will hold up for 13 years. With an
important thing like a roof, get that caulking checked and
repaired once a year or two.

A roof done properly does not rely on caulking to begin with.

Right, if a house roof is done correctly it should last for 20 or more
years without doing anything unless damaged by hail or very high winds
or something falling on it.

Some of the campers and such seem to need recoating with a sealent,
however I have no experence with them, just what I have been told by a
few friends that have them.

Doesnt matter what you do with a "camper" or trailer - particularly
if it is towed - the roof WILL leak if it is not religeously
maintained. Caulking, recoating, even a few exorcisms might help -- -
-
Any wood framed RV of any description has a limited lifespan - they
are SO shoddily built it is pretty much criminal.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

On the inside, the plywood near the leak is brown from the roof peak
half the way down, and I thin kthat's where it drips. I've been waiting
for it to rain so I could watch, but it has barely rained.

Drip molding has been a de-facto requirement since the early eighties
- not sure when it went into code - but only a cheapskate would have
done a re-roof without in 2007 - at least up here. Ice Guard was

I guess he was a cheapskate, although he was also cheap. Less than half
the price of another one.

pretty much universal on the eaves as well by that time up here.

A properly installed roof has to get pretty bad before it will
actially LEAK. The back of my garage looked like corn flakes and it
still didn't leak, (that's what the tar paper or "membrane" installed
before the shingles is for - - - -

I watched them do parts of it and they definitely used overlapping tar
paper.

That's why it makes sense that it is somehow backing up into the ridge
rail.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jan 2020 06:16:38 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

I'd forgotten about that but I do remember now.

discussing ridge vents here? You claimed that the cutout for your ridge
vent was like a foot wide? And I said that can't be, that they are
typically cutout about one inch on each side, two inches total?
And that having one that wide made no sense? But you insisted that was
the way it was? Well, I guess you were right. LOL

Your roofer was a hack. With a normal 2" wide cutout, the ridge vent
cover is wide enough that water can't go uphill under it and get inside.
And they are not caulked, like yours is, which is further proof the
roofer was a hack. If the opening is indeed very wide, then the roofer
who did the replacement probably caulked at the edges because he figured
wind drive rain would get under it and run inside. Bad idea. The
correct idea would have been to reduce the size of the opening to what
it should be.

He didn't suggest that. Mine was the third probably identical townhouse
I know of in this n'hood that he'd done. They worked efficiently and
cleanly and I talked to the first owner and he was happy. The owner
of the first one has moved but I'm still curious enough to ask the new
owner how their roof is. I think they might have solar cells on the
roof now (and did a very attractive job, compared to the other nbor with
raw metal conduit running down the front of house). (I'm not sure which
house got the second roof.) My friend also had him do her roof but she
had an entirely different house, and she moved a few years ago, so I
don't know how it did.

Is that the only picture? I presume the main area
is over your unit, where the problem is? To the right, which I assume
is your neighbor, there the roof sure is hosed big time, right up by
the ridge vent. It's all buckled.

I don't know how that happened. It wasn't like that 13 years ago, and I
don't know what could have messed up the metal.

Yes, my neighbor's house is in the back on the right, but the picture
shows the front half of my house and the leak is in the back. I don't
know what the ridge vent looks like there.

Is this even your problem? Isn't
this a condo situation, where the roof is a common area? If not, IDK

No, it's not a condo or a coop. . I own the roof, the yard, even 3 feet
beyond my fence, which had to leave room for people to walk around the
houses, but the easement is still my responsibility. At least one of my
n'bors doesn't understand that when it comes to his house.

how this works, because it's all one continuous roof. What was the
process 13 years ago when the new roof was put on?

Then we both needed roofs and we split the cost, with my paying a little
extra because he did a couple other little things for me. This time I
asked the new owner how the roof is and he said no problem. (Of course,
it could have problems he doesn't know about yet. Maybe I'll ask the
next roofer to look at his roof too.) All the houses are in pairs like
this but I wouldn't be the first one to replace only one half.

Interesting, in map view Google maps shows his house and mine as one
house, because the roof is all one color. Where the roofs are two
colors, map view shows them as two houses. (Also fwiw, it shows my
house in the wrong place because it has the house numbers going the
wrong direction. It's only 400 yards from one end to the other so I
haven't bothered to send in a correction.)

Finally, how old is this place? Back in the 80s for construction like

1979

this they were using fire retardant plywood on the east coast. It had
a chemical added that activates at high temp and inhibits the fire.
Problem was that over time, roofs got hot enough that it activated
with no fire and the process releases an acid, that destroys the wood.
I'd make sure you don't have that crap. Most of it has already
been replaced.

How can I tell if that's what I have? Won't it have been gassed out by
now? Since the house was 4 years old, I have a roof fan that keeps the
attic somewhat cooler (plus full-width soffit vents and the roof vent,
and I got a less dark colored roof last time to keep the attic cooler in
the summer. (The soffitt vents get covered by what I think is milkweed
every few years, but I think the milkweed tree** fell down, so maybe
that won't be a problem. **It was on land my n'bors and I don't own,
wooded land that's ultimately owned now by the rich guy from Omaha,
whose name I can never remember.

Of course you won't see any of this, since you have
me blocked from the little safe space that you're living in. Carry on.

This is my roof so it's important to me. ;-)

I would love to be able to talk to you, but a) you seriously insulted me
by saying I put party ahead of country. Of course I put country first
but the events of this very week have shown, and I hope have shown you,
what happens if one thinks someone from the other party, no matter how
moderate or how much she works across the aisle, can be relied on when
it really matters to, herself, put country ahead of party . And at least
two men are like that too. If those 4 were Democrats, there would be
witnesses and documents, and maybe other differences in procedure, like
not herding the press as they've done this week. You insulted me,
incorrectly no less, and have never retracted or apologized.
b) When we were discussing one thing, you'd bring up one or another of
your favorite complaints about me, even though it's unrelated to the
thread. I hope you don't do this in person. It makes reasonable
discussion nigh impossible. You'd do the same thing to a degree with
Trump complaints, but that's different. I enjoyed those.
c) I think there was a 3rd significant reason but maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 25 Jan 2020 13:03:47 -0500, Gary
wrote:

micky wrote:

If it's the caulk, it's been there for 13 years. How come no drip into
the 2nd floor until this year?

What I see in that picture... weep holes are clear. It's the bad
caulking between shingles and flashing. All those gaps will let
water in. Where the roof is buckled, I see no caulking at all.

I would get someone up there to recaulk that line asap. Fix the
buckled part later if you want to wait. For now, stop the leaks.
Recaulk it and check the other side too.

Note: No caulking outside will hold up for 13 years. With an
important thing like a roof, get that caulking checked and
repaired once a year or two.

Thanks, Gary (and everyone). When you guys disagree, i'm not sure what
to say, but I'm glad to hear all everything

It's enough that I'm not fully trusting what the first roofer said. So
I'll see what the second guy says. The guy coming on Monday charges $60
for each replacement sheet of plywood, but I don't know what the main
charge will be.

There are other pictures, but mostly plywood. This one is the ridge
rail but it's probably the front of the house when the leak is in the
rear. I wish it would rain so I could go up there and watch it in
action.

First picture, repeated:
https://static.companycam.com/lambda...eg?d=2880x2880

I think this is just a close-up of the problem area on the right of the
first picture.
https://static.companycam.com/lambda...eg?d=2880x2880

BTW, it kept raining when he was doing the roof and he would diligently
tarp the roof and come back the next day, 4 days total I think. And he
tarped the grass and I found only 2 or 3 pieces of roof in the grass
after he left. So he still gets a lot of points. I wonder if he maybe
he taught himself how to do a roof and didn't know some things. His
mother did the booking. I called a few years later for a different task
and she said he didn't do that, and I can't remember the rest.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yes, maybe the lack of a drip edge was why there was damage to some
plywood, even though that same plywood is original.

Per my other post, that roofer was a hack.
But living in your little safe space, you have me blocked and won't read
this.

I made an exception, since it's my roof. I was impatient with Joe
because no one had addressed the weep holes.

It's going to be pouring and very windy today, hope you don't get
too wet over there.

Rain was predicted, but little occurred and now it's supposed to be
clear. I wanted it to be raining enough to go in the attic and see
where the leak was.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

How happy are you now?

The owner
of the first one has moved but I'm still curious enough to ask the new
owner how their roof is. I think they might have solar cells on the
roof now (and did a very attractive job, compared to the other nbor with
raw metal conduit running down the front of house). (I'm not sure which
house got the second roof.) My friend also had him do her roof but she
had an entirely different house, and she moved a few years ago, so I
don't know how it did.

Is that the only picture? I presume the main area
is over your unit, where the problem is? To the right, which I assume
is your neighbor, there the roof sure is hosed big time, right up by
the ridge vent. It's all buckled.

I don't know how that happened. It wasn't like that 13 years ago, and I
don't know what could have messed up the metal.

I was talking about the roof up by the vent on the right, not the vent.
The roof is all buckled, likely from the same problem you're seeing,
water infiltration and the plywood failing. And if that new roofer told
you that the solution is cleaning out some holes and more caulking,
he's an idiot. If that opening at the ridge is wide like you told us
it was years ago, then you need to chuck that existing ridge vent,
close the gap so it's about 2" and install a new quality ridge cap
and shingles.

[...]

If it's that area on the right of your first photo, then he's roof is
screwed too, big time. Whoever's roof it is, it's obviously badly
buckled and kaput. It looks like if you stepped on it, you'd go right
through.

[...]

The plywood has markings. Google FRT plywood.

Won't it have been gassed out by
now?

You'd think sections of the whole roof would have failed by now,
most did start failing in a decade or so, but who knows. That kind
of application, adjoining townhouses are where it was used.

[...]

ROFL. That's a good one. You actually see bitching about Trump and the
Republicans as proof that you put the country first? Of course you bitch
about them, always have. But never, ever about a DEMOCRAT. Like right
now. How about Biden's son with no qualifications, landing basically a
no show job that paid him millions in Ukraine? While pops is responsible
for Ukraine? Hello? And then, did old Joe recuse himself? Hell no,
he proceeded to continue to handle Ukraine and bragged about firing the
anti-corruption prosecutor that was supposed to be investigating Burisma!
Old Joe also too Hunter with him on AF2 to China, whereupon he was greeted
by the commie state bank and came back with $1.5 BILLION! Not a peep
from you about any of that. But my, if Eric Trump had done, just imagine!

No, that wasn't an insult, Micky. Just a very valid after years of
observation. When you always bitch about Republicans, but never a single
Democrat, it's obvious you put your party above country.

and I hope have shown you,
what happens if one thinks someone from the other party, no matter how
moderate or how much she works across the aisle, can be relied on when
it really matters to, herself, put country ahead of party . And at least
two men are like that too. If those 4 were Democrats, there would be
witnesses and documents,

Sure, no **** Sherlock, if those 4 Republicans were Democrats, they would
be voting to investigate a Republican. That's not the issue. The issue
is where are the DEMOCRATS speaking out about what Democrats have done
that is wrong? Like the above current example of what Joe Biden did?
Biden is actually a leading contender to be the Democrat's nominee!

and maybe other differences in procedure, like
not herding the press as they've done this week. You insulted me,
incorrectly no less, and have never retracted or apologized.

It's not an insult, it's just a factual observation and you've just
proved it correct again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

It's hard to tell but it looks like one or two of those shingles are installed upside down (rotated 180°).

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 26, 2020 at 4:34:38 PM UTC-5, A noiseless patient Spider wrote:
[...]

Good eyes. You're right, at least one piece at the ridge is upside down, no question.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/26/20 9:04 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

People always bitch about permit fees and building inspectors but if customers demanded a permit and the inspectors are doing their job, this kind of stupid **** would never happen.
I'm guessing the cheapest bid doesn't come with a permit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 03:57:30 -0500, micky
wrote:

It's enough that I'm not fully trusting what the first roofer said. So
I'll see what the second guy says. The guy coming on Monday charges $60
for each replacement sheet of plywood, but I don't know what the main
charge will be.

There are other pictures, but mostly plywood. This one is the ridge
rail but it's probably the front of the house when the leak is in the
rear. I wish it would rain so I could go up there and watch it in
action.

On TV, they drag a garden hose up there and make it rain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 06:42:27 -0500, Jack Legg Roofing
wrote:

[...]

And the guarantee - if any, isn't worth the paper it's written on.
In many cases you better hope nobody falls on the job, or the disposal
bin doesn't fall off the truck onto a neighbor when they pull out of
your driveway because they are not adequately insured either -- -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It's enough that I'm not fully trusting what the first roofer said. So
I'll see what the second guy says. The guy coming on Monday charges $60
for each replacement sheet of plywood, but I don't know what the main
charge will be.

There are other pictures, but mostly plywood. This one is the ridge
rail but it's probably the front of the house when the leak is in the
rear. I wish it would rain so I could go up there and watch it in
action.

On TV, they drag a garden hose up there and make it rain.

Yeah, but I would have to do that, and it's January -- I can be wet and
I can be cold but I don't want to be cold and wet -- and I'm not going
on the roof, and I'd have to be inside the attic at the same time.

I could hire someone to do the hose, but I don't have enough insurance
for when he falls.

The guy today said he could tell where the problems are. Details after
the boss sends an estimate.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I looked for the 3rd time when you said this and still didn't see
anything wrong.

Finally clicked on the little magnifying glass and saw it. One, maybe
two of them, maybe the whole row.

There are a lot of posts about inverting the starter row -- bad practice
-- except this is the ending row, not the starter row!

Good eyes. You're right, at least one piece at the ridge is upside down, no question.

People always bitch about permit fees and building inspectors but if customers demanded a permit and the inspectors are doing their job, this kind of stupid **** would never happen.
I'm guessing the cheapest bid doesn't come with a permit.

Maryland does not require a permit specifically for roofing. Because
your roof is considering a covering, and not a structural component of
the property, replacing your roof covering with a new covering does not
require a permit.Mar 31, 2017
Common Reroofing Questions Answered: - Fick Bros.

And the guarantee - if any, isn't worth the paper it's written on.
In many cases you better hope nobody falls on the job, or the disposal
bin doesn't fall off the truck onto a neighbor when they pull out of
your driveway because they are not adequately insured either -- -

Well, my guy didn't do any of those things, so maybe that makes up for
the mistakes he did make.

I thought this would interest people he
November 26, 2014, 7:07pm #1
So basically I started reroofing my garage when I realized I was
installing a typical 3 tab shingle upside down. Instead of the 3 tabs
facing down they are facing up. Now, as far as I can figure this
shouldn’t actually mess anything up as far as weatherproofing goes.
After looking at the shingles it seems like the 3 tabs are merely
cosmetic. The only problem I might be able to see is that the grooves
between the three tabs are facing up instead of down, however, I have
still installed the shingles such that there is 1 to 1.5 inches overlap
and the tab grooves and nails are completely covered by the bottom (i.e.
top) of the next overlying row of shingles.

So, I’ve only gotten 1/3 of one side of the garage done and I really
don’t want to redo it I don’t have to. Although I will be installing the
shingles here on out the correct way (yes, I know the will be a color
difference) should I reinstall the ones I’ve done or can I treat them as
a very long bottom strip of shingles and restart (allowing for the
proper overlap concerning going the correct way now) from here on out?
Basically, is there any reason beyond cosmetic reasons?

One of the replies:
shingle_monkey
Can we get some pics for our sales folders?

Another reply:
.....Having said that, I’ve watched a crew start roofing from the top of
the building using three tabs, lifting to nail as they went down. I
thought that was pretty funny.

The OP again:
Sure! Anyhoo, obviously I’ve never laid shingles before. Yes I studied
up on how to lay them. No I didn’t immediately start after studying up
and quite frankly it’s a situation where I just started not even
thinking “hey, is this the right way” and viola, here I am. Just looking
at the shingle (after I realized the mistake - homer moment) I didn’t
see any difference between the makeup of the material of the two sides
and as you can see from the pictures it’s not as if it looks bad per se.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Sounds just about as smart as a friend who took off with a pair of
sand-bags hung across the back of his plane (it made it easier to get
the tail of his tricycle gear plane low enouigh to get out of his
makeshift hangar and he was in such a hurry to go flying while the
weather was good, he forgot to remove them and didn't realize it
untill he landed again and it flared WAY too easy -- - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 27 Jan 2020 21:34:35 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

He's lucky it landed right side up.

But at least he proved he can carry freight back there.