Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lowes blows

Went there yesterday to get a new leaf blower but they did not have what
I wanted in the store. So, I got home and ordered it on line for home
delivery. I get an email later in the day that it is ready for pickup
at the store.

This is the second time I have ordered on line from Lowes and they
screwed up both times.

I told the clerk when I picked up the leaf blower that I will shop in
the future at the store but this is the last time I will order on line.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2020 9:44 AM, Frank wrote:
Went there yesterday to get a new leaf blower but they did not have what
I wanted in the store.Â* So, I got home and ordered it on line for home
delivery.Â* I get an email later in the day that it is ready for pickup
at the store.

This is the second time I have ordered on line from Lowes and they
screwed up both times.

I told the clerk when I picked up the leaf blower that I will shop in
the future at the store but this is the last time I will order on line.

And the woman replied "**** off."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2020 1:34 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/17/2020 9:44 AM, Frank wrote:
Went there yesterday to get a new leaf blower but they did not have
what I wanted in the store.Â* So, I got home and ordered it on line for
home delivery.Â* I get an email later in the day that it is ready for
pickup at the store.

This is the second time I have ordered on line from Lowes and they
screwed up both times.

I told the clerk when I picked up the leaf blower that I will shop in
the future at the store but this is the last time I will order on line.

And the woman replied "**** off."

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Are you the same character that also loves micky?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/20 1:34 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/17/2020 9:44 AM, Frank wrote:
Went there yesterday to get a new leaf blower but they did not have what I wanted in the store.Â* So, I got home and ordered it on line for home delivery.Â* I get an email later in the day that it is ready for pickup at the store.

This is the second time I have ordered on line from Lowes and they screwed up both times.

I told the clerk when I picked up the leaf blower that I will shop in the future at the store but this is the last time I will order on line.

And the woman replied "**** off."

The team in the orange vests are not much smarter.

Neighbor bought a new refrigerator. The thing was on back-order for 5 weeks and when it was finally delivered, neighbor noticed someone had run a lift truck fork into the compressor/condenser compartment. Doh!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/2020 2:13 PM, devnull wrote:
On 1/17/20 1:34 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/17/2020 9:44 AM, Frank wrote:
Went there yesterday to get a new leaf blower but they did not have
what I wanted in the store.Â* So, I got home and ordered it on line
for home delivery.Â* I get an email later in the day that it is ready
for pickup at the store.

This is the second time I have ordered on line from Lowes and they
screwed up both times.

I told the clerk when I picked up the leaf blower that I will shop in
the future at the store but this is the last time I will order on line.

And the woman replied "**** off."

The team in the orange vests are not much smarter.

Neighbor bought a new refrigerator. The thing was on back-order for 5
weeks and when it was finally delivered, neighbor noticed someone had
run a lift truck fork into the compressor/condenser compartment.Â* Doh!

I mentioned over a year ago a problem I had with HD on line ordering. I
bought a mail box and they also sent a toilet seat and grill mat I had
not ordered. Then I had to fight with them to get them to pick up the
unrequested items. I was not billed for them and should have kept them.
Better yet would have been to take to HD and try to get cash for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/20 11:44 AM, Frank wrote:
Went there yesterday to get a new leaf blower but they did not have what
I wanted in the store.Â* So, I got home and ordered it on line for home
delivery.Â* I get an email later in the day that it is ready for pickup
at the store.

This is the second time I have ordered on line from Lowes and they
screwed up both times.

I told the clerk when I picked up the leaf blower that I will shop in
the future at the store but this is the last time I will order on line.

On two occasions I ordered home deliver from Lowes.

Once for a Stove and once for a clothes drier.

I never had to leave my house and they were here within the window of
time they gave me.

Very happy.

BTW: I always buy the cheap stuff without the expensive electronic controls.

All that stuff is BS
Posted to alt.home.repair

snips

Once for a stove and once for a clothes drier.
BTW: I always buy the cheap stuff without the
expensive electronic controls.
All that stuff is BS

I really really wish that someone would make
a front load washer without electronic controls !
My new-ish LG is crap except for the high speed spin
My old Frigidaire Gallery was great - no longer made.
I might be looking at laundry mat commercial units,
in a few years .. but but but
... they run about $ 7000. Canuck bucks - Ouch !
The energy-efficiency stats do not matter much
to empty-nesters - give us an appliance that does the job -
- quickly & efficiently - WiFi is not on my priority list !
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/20 4:06 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

snip

Glad you had good results. In the last 5 or so years I bought a range,
dryer and washing machine all at different times.

The range delivery was confirmed on a telephone call two times a week
apart and they failed. Finally got it on the third time.

Dryer was about 2 hours late.

Washing machine was delayed 3 times and I finally went to a store in the
next town and picked it up myslef.

I had some carpet and wood flooring installed on two differnet times and
that went very well.

Guess that if you buy any appliance , you better be able to take it with
you from the stores around the middle of North Carolina.

When I was working, both Home Depot and Lowes were my customers. I was
impressed with the way Lowes did things. They wanted a contract similar
to the one we had with Home Depot but one step better.

That said , when I shop in person I go to Home Depot simply because it's
a lot closer

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/20 6:58 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/17/2020 5:06 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

On two occasions I ordered home deliver from Lowes.

Once for a Stove and once for a clothes drier.

I never had to leave my house and they were here within the window of
time they gave me.

Very happy.

BTW: I always buy the cheap stuff without the expensive electronic
controls.

All that stuff is BS

Glad you had good results.Â* In the last 5 or so years I bought a range,
dryer and washing machineÂ* all at different times.

The range delivery was confirmed on a telephone call two times a week
apart and they failed.Â* Finally got it on the third time.

Dryer was about 2 hours late.

Washing machine was delayed 3 times and I finally went to a store in the
next town and picked it up myslef.

I had some carpet and wood flooring installed on two differnet times and
that went very well.

Guess that if you buy any appliance , you better be able to take it with
you from the stores around the middle of North Carolina.

I bought appliances from a real appliance dealer and got equal or better
price and much better service.

About a year ago bought a patio table and six chairs.Â* Nothing but
aggravation with delivery.Â* It was on a truck and could not find the
street even though they had directions.Â* Ended up after many calls five
days late.

Of course, one reason I got on-time delivery was because I think they
gave me a six hour window.

Anyway, it was all well.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 19:58:16 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

About a year ago bought a patio table and six chairs. Nothing but
aggravation with delivery. It was on a truck and could not find the
street even though they had directions. Ended up after many calls five
days late.

I buy appliances from appliance dealers and lumber from lumber-yards,
and hardware from hardware stores. I also buy groceries from grocery
stores.

Sadly the lumber yards and hardware stores are getting scarce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/17/20 9:03 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

I am so lucky that I live very close to a lumber yard.

For years I'd go there and pick up large loads.

One day I got sick of it and said...OK, how much for delivery?

My orders were about double the size to qualify for free delivery!

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 17 Jan 2020 19:58:16 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

[...]

Think about the poor driver, driving around hour after hour, spending 5
nights in the truck, nothing but Cheetos and Coca-Cola to eat, no heat
unless he left the engine running. He suffered more than you.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 17 Jan 2020 21:15:48 -0600, philo
wrote:

[...]

Back before 9/11 when one could ship internationally on any carrier, I
loaded up my convertible with about 19 boxes, some big, some medium,
book boxes were small, going 3 feet higher than I was, and drove on back
roads to the airport, hoping no cop would complain, and that I wouldn't
have to stop suddenly. When I got there, got my own pallette. While
paying for the shipping, I found out they would have picked it up for
$10. Wasn't even my money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 12:44:27 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
Went there yesterday to get a new leaf blower but they did not have what
I wanted in the store. So, I got home and ordered it on line for home
delivery. I get an email later in the day that it is ready for pickup
at the store.

This is the second time I have ordered on line from Lowes and they
screwed up both times.

I told the clerk when I picked up the leaf blower that I will shop in
the future at the store but this is the last time I will order on line.

Don;t they charge shipping for home delivery? If you paid shipping,
did you get it back? If you didn;t pay shipping, maybe that was a clue
it wasn't being delivered to your home?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's not true. I saw a KFC box with two chicken bones in the truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Clare Snyder"
I buy appliances from appliance dealers and lumber from
lumber-yards,
and hardware from hardware stores. I also buy groceries
from grocery
stores.

Sadly the lumber yards and hardware stores are getting
scarce

"The only really good place to buy lumber
is at a store where the lumber has already
been cut and attached together in the form
of furniture and put inside boxes."
- Dave Barry

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 17 Jan 2020 23:01:37 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
I bought appliances from a real appliance dealer and got equal or better
price and much better service.

About a year ago bought a patio table and six chairs. Nothing but
aggravation with delivery. It was on a truck and could not find the
street even though they had directions. Ended up after many calls five
days late.

I buy appliances from appliance dealers and lumber from lumber-yards,
and hardware from hardware stores. I also buy groceries from grocery
stores.

Sadly the lumber yards and hardware stores are getting scarce

You would think they had a GPS and a cell phone to call.

20 years ago, on a Sunday, my car broke down about 30 miles south of
here, at a group function. I left tke key in a magnetic container
inside the frame under the door, iirc, and I got a ride home with
someone else there. I called GEICO with which at the time I had towing
insurance, and they called a tow company while I was on the phone, but I
couldn't hear what was said. Thank goodness I was smart enough to
insist on talking directly and finding out the name of the tow company.
Never let someone else make all the arrangements without at least
getting the 3rd party's name.

They were to tow it to a shop a few blocks from here and when 4 PM came
and I hadn't hear anything, I called the shop and they knew nothing.

I called the tow company and they said they went to the car and the door
was locked. I'm sure I'd said where the key was plus if they'd called
Geico, Geico would have called me. Plus I was in the phone book, the
only one by my name. I told them again where the key was, so they towed
it the next day and dropped it off without making the shop sign for it
or pay anything for towing, and they got whatever Geico paid them but
not the hefty additional for being 30 miles away. I guess they didn't
want me complaining to Geico and I didn't.

The car was fixed by Tuesday at 5.

Around this small town there is only one applianc store left. They are
not very good either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Jan 2020 13:42:17 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Clare Snyder"
I buy appliances from appliance dealers and lumber from
lumber-yards,
and hardware from hardware stores. I also buy groceries
from grocery
stores.

Sadly the lumber yards and hardware stores are getting
scarce

"The only really good place to buy lumber
is at a store where the lumber has already
been cut and attached together in the form
of furniture and put inside boxes."
- Dave Barry

Post-sawdust lumber.

I went college with a guy who grew up on a farm in western Illinois but
became a lawyer in NYC.

He bought land in Woodstock NY. Now Woodstock is just like 20 or 40
other little towns in the area, but he wanted Woodstock I'm sure because
it was famous.

But I have to give him a lot of credit: He researched, designed, and did
a plurality of the labor to build his own pretty large house, on the
side of a hill overlooking the valley and the next hill. He cut down the
trees and paid for at least two truckloads of gravel to make a
still-rocky road. He paid for someone to dynamite enough to have a
flat area for the house.

He framed it... 2 stories high, 40 or 50 foot square with windows from a
foot or two above the floot to ceiling (16 feet iirc) on the whole south
side, plus 1/2 the west side and 1/4 the east side. In 1976, the
doublepane windows cost him $10,000, delivered.

For the walls below the windows, he used logs, not lengthwise like in
most log cabins and houses but so the ends showed inside and out. That
was his big mistake. The logs had dried for weeks, months, or a year or
two, not sure, but they continued to dry after they were in place, and
shrink, so there were holes almost an inch big that the air would blow
through. He chinked it with cement, that didn't look sot good. (He
remodeled his loft in SoHo NY and there too the design was great, he
did some of the work, but final touches he sometimes did in an ugly
manner. The cement chinking looked terrible. I'm not sure what the
next owner would do to make it look nice.)

We had a fight when he didn't show sufficient concern for his girlfriend
or her daughter, 102.6 and 103.6 fevers** at Rainbow in a North Carolina
national forest, Nantahala, and he just wanted to get back to NY to go
to work on Monday, and I wanted them to see a doctor (I won***.) and it
was the last straw ending out friendship after 20 years.

***The police were watching traffic and all the parked cars, or
something, on the road outside the forest, about an hour's hike, 15
minute drive, from where the camping was, and they offered to call an
ambulance, but that would have taken as much time as our**** driving to
the hospital. The doctor there just gave them water, watched them for
an hour or two, but it's not some boyfriend's right to decide they dont'
need a doctor. They even had insurance to pay for it. ****I'm glad I was
driving and it was my car.

**Turned out to be shigellosis (inflamation of your shigella!), and
about 5000 of the 10,000 campers got it. The CDC investiated, sent me a
long form of which they said, "If you return this, you'll get a copy of
the report" and both happened.

But I still stopped by his country home when I was nearby and it didn't
look like the windows had dropped. I presume he had some 2" vertical
2x4s holding the windows up and didn't depend on the logs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

For the walls below the windows, he used logs, not lengthwise like in
most log cabins and houses but so the ends showed inside and out. That
was his big mistake. The logs had dried for weeks, months, or a year or
two, not sure, but they continued to dry after they were in place, and
shrink, so there were holes almost an inch big that the air would blow
through. He chinked it with cement, that didn't look sot good.

Cordwood construction is a thing -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordwood_construction

... I'd question using it - for load-bearing-structure -
under big expensive windows in a big expensive home.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 13:42:17 -0500, "Phil Kangas"
wrote:

"Clare Snyder"
I buy appliances from appliance dealers and lumber from
lumber-yards,
and hardware from hardware stores. I also buy groceries
from grocery
stores.

Sadly the lumber yards and hardware stores are getting
scarce

"The only really good place to buy lumber
is at a store where the lumber has already
been cut and attached together in the form
of furniture and put inside boxes."
- Dave Barry

Half the furniture isn't made of lumber, it's made of "termite spit"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 4:21:31 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

**Turned out to be shigellosis (inflamation of your shigella!),

That would be "shigellitis".

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I mean they gave me my own pallette, and shrinkwrapped it. Not that I
had to get it myself.

paying for the shipping, I found out they would have picked it up for
$10. Wasn't even my money.

WOW

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 19 Jan 2020 04:11:52 -0800 (PST), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 4:21:31 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

**Turned out to be shigellosis (inflamation of your shigella!),

That would be "shigellitis".

You're right. No wonder I can't find my shigella.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

On Saturday, January 18, 2020 at 4:21:31 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

**Turned out to be shigellosis (inflamation of your shigella!),

That would be "shigellitis".

You're right. No wonder I can't find my shigella.

Cindy Hamilton

Don't feel bad. I can't tell my shigella from a hole in the ground.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Jan 2020 18:08:07 -0500,
wrote:

For the walls below the windows, he used logs, not lengthwise like in
most log cabins and houses but so the ends showed inside and out. That
was his big mistake. The logs had dried for weeks, months, or a year or
two, not sure, but they continued to dry after they were in place, and
shrink, so there were holes almost an inch big that the air would blow
through. He chinked it with cement, that didn't look sot good.

Cordwood construction is a thing -

How about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cordwood_construction

And it's old too.

.. I'd question using it - for load-bearing-structure -
under big expensive windows in a big expensive home.

At the bottom of the post I pointed out the windows had not sagged.
Must have had some 2x4's holding them up.

But the url you gave says they expand and shrink even if aged. I wonder
how that works.

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Unless both cut ends are fully sealed they absorb and release
moisture. Even log houses expand and shrink with the seasons - just
like your hardwood floors.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did they give you some artist brushes too?

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Years ago, talking to my old neighbour - who had a beautiful
log home built - I remember him saying that there were
some sort of "jack screw" devices built into the structure -
to adjust for the long-term settling as the big logs dry out.
not sure about seasonal expansion/contraction ?
They also used some special framing on top of windows & doors.
It all seems like a lot of bother - but it's a really great looking
home - and the present owners seem happy there.
Recent technologies might have reduced the troublesome stuff -
this log home is 30 + years old.

As for Micky's original post - re : the decorative cordwood -
... it might be a nice touch - if the cordwood is properly dried
and treated for bugs, and sealed ..
... and I hope they used something stronger than 2 x 4
for window framing ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 19:37:44 -0500, wrote:

[...]

"stackwall" is generally used as "infill" in post anf beam
construction, where it is not, strictly speaking, structural.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 20 Jan 2020 19:37:44 -0500,
wrote:

[...]

I don't know if he sealed it or not, maybe not. Plus I presume it has to
be resealed once in a while, and I'll bet he doesn't do that.

.. and I hope they used something stronger than 2 x 4

I just used 2x4 generically. I wasn't wasn't there for that part. He
might have used bigger.

for window framing ..
John T.

The same webpage I quoted also said the logs had to age for 3 years
before being used, and I'm next to certain it wasn't that much. I don't
remember seeing any stacks of short logs aging. I would have found it
curious.

I have another friend from college who lives in Denver and he and his
wife were driving around the mountains an hour west of there and came
across a 6-room log house. Vacant. They found out who owned it, USC or
Stamford, and he wrote them and they had inherited it from a sea-captain
who built it to get as far from the sea as possible. He left it to the
school which never used it, and they sold it to my friend pretty
cheaply.

It needed quite a bit of work but he was handy and only 30 y.o or so. He
found chinking, made from newspapers as early as iirc 1870. He had the
second half of his wedding reception there.

Also in the area were a bunch of fraudulent gold mines. People would
dig a hole, salt the mine with gold, or just say it had gold, and then
raise money from investors in the east, a small amount of which they
would put into more digging, and the rest they would live on, very well,
or save. The police and prosecutors tried to stop it, but of course
they didn't advertise in the Colorado law journal. The time was the end
of the 19th century, 1870 to 1900, somewhere along that time.