Old January 16th 20, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Moisture

We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1206920-.htm

Old January 16th 20, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-5, TD90 wrote:
We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1206920-.htm

In general, no. But it depends on how cold it is outside, how wll the
windows insulate, and the temp and humidity inside. Usually this happens
if the humidity inside is too high. The colder it gets outside, the lower
you want the humidity inside. No more than 50% if it's moderate out,
going down to maybe 25% if it's 10F outside. You can find charts online.
Also this happens in bathrooms, kitchens, more frequently, because humidity
is higher there. If it happens in spots like that after a bath, etc,
no big deal. It should not be happening in most of the house.

Old January 16th 20, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 08:02:55 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Thursday, January 16, 2020 at 10:44:05 AM UTC-5, TD90 wrote:
We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1206920-.htm

In general, no. But it depends on how cold it is outside, how wll the
windows insulate, and the temp and humidity inside. Usually this happens
if the humidity inside is too high. The colder it gets outside, the lower
you want the humidity inside. No more than 50% if it's moderate out,
going down to maybe 25% if it's 10F outside. You can find charts online.
Also this happens in bathrooms, kitchens, more frequently, because humidity
is higher there. If it happens in spots like that after a bath, etc,
no big deal. It should not be happening in most of the house.

Maybe I spent too much time in computer room design but you never want
the RH below 50%. Bad things start happening to your electronics.
(ESD).
Old January 16th 20, 06:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2020 10:44 AM, TD90 wrote:
We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it
normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

Depends on what you have. Single or double pane? Storm windows? Metal
frames? Frost on the glass or frame?

If you live in a cold climate you should have a good double pane window
and you will never see condensation.

What do you have? What state are you in?

Old January 16th 20, 07:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2020 1:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/16/2020 10:44 AM, TD90 wrote:
We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it
normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

Depends on what you have.* Single or double pane?* Storm windows?* Metal
frames?* Frost on the glass or frame?

If you live in a cold climate you should have a good double pane window
and you will never see condensation.

What do you have?* What state are you in?

Also depends on the humidity level inside the home.

Old January 17th 20, 03:34 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 15:44:01 +0000, TD90
m wrote:

We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

It is if the humidity indoors is too high
Old January 17th 20, 03:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:06:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/16/2020 10:44 AM, TD90 wrote:
We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it
normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

Depends on what you have. Single or double pane? Storm windows? Metal
frames? Frost on the glass or frame?

If you live in a cold climate you should have a good double pane window
and you will never see condensation.

What do you have? What state are you in?

Even with triple glazed you can get condensation if you have 60+% RH
and it's -30 out. Mabee even a bit of frost or ice
Old January 17th 20, 03:37 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 14:10:16 -0500, Hawk wrote:

On 1/16/2020 1:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/16/2020 10:44 AM, TD90 wrote:
We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it
normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

Depends on what you have.* Single or double pane?* Storm windows?* Metal
frames?* Frost on the glass or frame?

If you live in a cold climate you should have a good double pane window
and you will never see condensation.

What do you have?* What state are you in?

Also depends on the humidity level inside the home.

Depends almost entirely on humidity inside the house
Old January 17th 20, 04:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/16/2020 10:36 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:06:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/16/2020 10:44 AM, TD90 wrote:
We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it
normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

Depends on what you have. Single or double pane? Storm windows? Metal
frames? Frost on the glass or frame?

If you live in a cold climate you should have a good double pane window
and you will never see condensation.

What do you have? What state are you in?

Even with triple glazed you can get condensation if you have 60+% RH
and it's -30 out. Mabee even a bit of frost or ice

Kept my house at 40% to 50% and we had temperatures to about -5 with no
problems. My first house did though with old windows. Of course, the
OP asked a question and never returned.
Old January 17th 20, 04:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 23:01:41 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/16/2020 10:36 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 13:06:39 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 1/16/2020 10:44 AM, TD90 wrote:
We had our windows replaced 3 months ago..It's winter and cold..is it
normal
for Frost to form on the inside of the Windows

Depends on what you have. Single or double pane? Storm windows? Metal
frames? Frost on the glass or frame?

If you live in a cold climate you should have a good double pane window
and you will never see condensation.

What do you have? What state are you in?

Even with triple glazed you can get condensation if you have 60+% RH
and it's -30 out. Mabee even a bit of frost or ice

Kept my house at 40% to 50% and we had temperatures to about -5 with no
problems. My first house did though with old windows. Of course, the
OP asked a question and never returned.

Now you have to get used to the condensation on the outside of the
windows. ;-)