DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   replaced dryer belt and drum still won't turn (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/643607-replaced-dryer-belt-drum-still-wont-turn.html)

KC JONES January 16th 20 02:47 AM

replaced dryer belt and drum still won't turn

I have a GE Hotpoint dryer nvlr223egoww that stopped turning and, upon
disassembly, I discovered that the belt snapped. I'm having a heck of a
time getting the drum to rotate again. I've tried two different belts,
which are supposed to fit the model, but one was way too large and the
other is actually a bit shorter than the original one and still there's
too much slack. Any ideas as to what to check next would be welcome.
Thanks.

Terry Coombs[_2_] January 16th 20 03:09 AM

On 1/15/2020 7:47 PM, KC JONES wrote:
I have a GE Hotpoint dryer nvlr223egoww that stopped turning and, upon
disassembly, I discovered that the belt snapped.Â* I'm having a heck of
a time getting the drum to rotate again.Â* I've tried two different
belts, which are supposed to fit the model, but one was way too large
and the other is actually a bit shorter than the original one and
still there's too much slack.Â* Any ideas as to what to check next
would be welcome. Thanks.

Â* Is the belt looped correctly around the spring loaded tensioner ?
Some appliance parts websites might have the diagram for the correct
routing ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

KC JONES January 16th 20 05:40 AM

On 1/15/20 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/15/2020 7:47 PM, KC JONES wrote:
I have a GE Hotpoint dryer nvlr223egoww that stopped turning and, upon
disassembly, I discovered that the belt snapped.Â* I'm having a heck of
a time getting the drum to rotate again.Â* I've tried two different
belts, which are supposed to fit the model, but one was way too large
and the other is actually a bit shorter than the original one and
still there's too much slack.Â* Any ideas as to what to check next
would be welcome. Thanks.

Â* Is the belt looped correctly around the spring loaded tensioner ?
Some appliance parts websites might have the diagram for the correct
routing ...

No it wasn't. I always get confused be the way the belts are put in
place. Once I got the threading right, the only other issue was that
the tensioner was caught on a metal part sticking out from the motor.
Once I disassembled again to release that, all went well. It was not
easy. I really only had access from the top and front. I wish I could
have removed a side, but was unable to. I really had to push with my
arm and hand through the small space and at the same time loop the belt
around the tensioner. However, done. I also looked over the dryer
while there. It looks fairly simple and I'm hoping if anything ever
goes wrong, maybe I'll be able to repair it.

Terry Coombs[_2_] January 16th 20 01:40 PM

On 1/15/2020 10:40 PM, KC JONES wrote:
On 1/15/20 9:09 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 1/15/2020 7:47 PM, KC JONES wrote:
I have a GE Hotpoint dryer nvlr223egoww that stopped turning and,
upon disassembly, I discovered that the belt snapped.Â* I'm having a
heck of a time getting the drum to rotate again.Â* I've tried two
different belts, which are supposed to fit the model, but one was
way too large and the other is actually a bit shorter than the
original one and still there's too much slack.Â* Any ideas as to what
to check next would be welcome. Thanks.

Â*Â* Is the belt looped correctly around the spring loaded tensioner ?
Some appliance parts websites might have the diagram for the correct
routing ...

Â*No it wasn't.Â* I always get confused be the way the belts are put in
place.Â* Once I got the threading right, the only other issue was that
the tensioner was caught on a metal part sticking out from the motor.
Once I disassembled again to release that, all went well.Â* It was not
easy.Â* I really only had access from the top and front.Â* I wish I
could have removed a side, but was unable to.Â* I really had to push
with my arm and hand through the small space and at the same time loop
the belt around the tensioner. However, done.Â* I also looked over the
dryer while there.Â* It looks fairly simple and I'm hoping if anything
ever goes wrong, maybe I'll be able to repair it.

Glad I could help . Dryers aren't that complicated , and there's just
not much that can go wrong . I didn't look your dryer up , but many of
them have a front panel that is held on by 2 bolts/screws at the top and
a tab/slot at the bottom . Once the front is off the drum can be removed
for repair and parts replacement .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

[email protected] January 16th 20 02:29 PM

[...]

I recently, very reluctantly, replaced my 25-30 year old Inglis
propane when the " air-flow grill " corroded away and
started snagging at clothes. I found it difficult and expensive
to get a new replacement ; used units that were still OK were
scarce ... I did consider a DIY remedy of installing some sort of
stainless grill over top of the old one. But my final decision was
based on the Murphy's Law aspect - as soon as I made this repair
- something else would fail ...
The Inglis had 1 repair in the 25 years I owned it.
John T.

Clare Snyder January 17th 20 04:47 AM

On Thu, 16 Jan 2020 08:29:35 -0500, wrote:

[...]

I had replaced the timer twice, the drum rollers 3 times, The belt
twice, the heating element once (after repairing it at least once) and
the motor once before throwing it away and buying a new washer/drier
pair). It was an inglis too - about 30 years and 2 kids in cloth
diapers.

When the washer got to the point it wasn't repairable we got rif of
both.