Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Adding outlet

I'm adding an outlet about 5 feet from an existing circuit and teeing
from from an outlet in that circuit. I can't recall how I should connect
the the new out/wire to the existing outlet. Is it better to run from
the existing to the new and loop back to continue the run or to add a
single run to the new outlet from the existing outlet and piggy back
using shorter wires and wire nut?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 12:19:20 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
I'm adding an outlet about 5 feet from an existing circuit and teeing
from from an outlet in that circuit. I can't recall how I should connect
the the new out/wire to the existing outlet. Is it better to run from
the existing to the new and loop back to continue the run or to add a
single run to the new outlet from the existing outlet and piggy back
using shorter wires and wire nut?

No idea what you're talking about with running anything back.
To add a new outlet you'd run one new romex cable from the existing
box to the new one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 12:27:19 PM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 12:19:20 PM UTC-5, Hawk wrote:
I'm adding an outlet about 5 feet from an existing circuit and teeing
from from an outlet in that circuit. I can't recall how I should connect
the the new out/wire to the existing outlet. Is it better to run from
the existing to the new and loop back to continue the run or to add a
single run to the new outlet from the existing outlet and piggy back
using shorter wires and wire nut?

No idea what you're talking about with running anything back.
To add a new outlet you'd run one new romex cable from the existing
box to the new one.

That is assuming this is the US. If you're in the UK, they use ring
circuits there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 12:19:34 -0500, Hawk wrote:

I'm adding an outlet about 5 feet from an existing circuit and teeing
from from an outlet in that circuit. I can't recall how I should connect
the the new out/wire to the existing outlet. Is it better to run from
the existing to the new and loop back to continue the run or to add a
single run to the new outlet from the existing outlet and piggy back
using shorter wires and wire nut?

Your main issue is going to be the size of the box. It is probably not
big enough for even one more Romex and there is no way you could put
in 2 more (loop back). The best way is to find the last one on the
circuit. That box might be big enough for an extra Romex if they
didn't cheap out and put in a box sized for one. Usually they won't do
that because they usually don't carry that many sizes on the truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 12:44:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 12:19:34 -0500, Hawk wrote:

I'm adding an outlet about 5 feet from an existing circuit and teeing
from from an outlet in that circuit. I can't recall how I should connect
the the new out/wire to the existing outlet. Is it better to run from
the existing to the new and loop back to continue the run or to add a
single run to the new outlet from the existing outlet and piggy back
using shorter wires and wire nut?

Your main issue is going to be the size of the box. It is probably not
big enough for even one more Romex and there is no way you could put
in 2 more (loop back).

Unless it's the UK, why would you ever loop it back???

The best way is to find the last one on the
circuit. That box might be big enough for an extra Romex if they
didn't cheap out and put in a box sized for one. Usually they won't do
that because they usually don't carry that many sizes on the truck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 11:19:20 AM UTC-6, Hawk wrote:
I'm adding an outlet about 5 feet from an existing circuit and teeing
from from an outlet in that circuit. I can't recall how I should connect
the the new out/wire to the existing outlet. Is it better to run from
the existing to the new and loop back to continue the run or to add a
single run to the new outlet from the existing outlet and piggy back
using shorter wires and wire nut?

Besides the fact if you have to ask those questions you should hire someone. Also what is good in one place is a red tag in another . Things like romax and plastic boxes are illegal here.