DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   220 in sequence (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/643029-220-sequence.html)

[email protected] December 26th 19 04:06 PM

220 in sequence

Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

Fred McKenzie December 26th 19 04:42 PM

220 in sequence

In article ,
wrote:

Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run
a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the
ground or neutral?

Gary-

Your "buddy" will hold you libel for causing the fire!

I think the 220 would normally be run in sequence, but that depends on
the wire gauge and how much current the heaters require. In an extreme
case, you might need to install a separate breaker for each.

Fred

micky December 26th 19 05:01 PM

220 in sequence

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 26 Dec 2019 08:06:18 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I’m wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether it’s the ground or neutral?

Have you done home electrical wiring before?

it's good to start on someone else's home, so when you get to yours you
may know how to not burn it down.

Ralph Mowery December 26th 19 05:02 PM

220 in sequence

In article ,
says...

I?m wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether it?s the ground or neutral?

You have not provided enough information.

1. what is the current or wattage of each heater
2. how many heaters
3. what size breaker do you have
4. what size wire are you using
5. do you know anything about electrical wireing ? Most likely you
will not be using a neutral in a 220 (240 ) volt US electrical heater
system.

trader_4 December 26th 19 05:09 PM

220 in sequence

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 11:06:23 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

You just need a circuit with conductors and breaker appropriate for the total load. Since it's considered a fixed load, that would be 125% or
more than the actual load. Whether it makes sense, is practical to
put it all on one circuit or use more than one then depends on what
the actual loads are, how many, where they are in relation to the panel,
etc. Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you have to ask
this, you may want to reconsider doing it, especially for someone else.
Also, if it's the US, it's 240V.

trader_4 December 26th 19 05:10 PM

220 in sequence

On Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 12:02:54 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

I?m wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether it?s the ground or neutral?

You have not provided enough information.

1. what is the current or wattage of each heater
2. how many heaters
3. what size breaker do you have
4. what size wire are you using
5. do you know anything about electrical wireing ? Most likely you
will not be using a neutral in a 220 (240 ) volt US electrical heater
system.

Good point on no neutral. I missed that.

[email protected] December 26th 19 05:38 PM

220 in sequence

wrote:

Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

The only wire you can share is the ground. (same size as the
ungrounded conductors). Typical wall packs are 2300w @ 240v so that
would require a 15a circuit for one. If you are stringing them both
out on a single circuit you will be wiring for 30a, 10ga copper. It
computes to 19.1a but you have to count the largest single load at
125% so it is 11.9a for the first one and 9.6 for the second one
(21.5a) and that bumps you up to 10 ga wire. You could use a 25a or 30
breaker.

trader_4 December 26th 19 06:05 PM

220 in sequence

wrote:

Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

The only wire you can share is the ground. (same size as the
ungrounded conductors).

Not sure what that means. If you put two heaters on one circuit,
you are sharing all the conductors.

Wade Garrett December 26th 19 08:24 PM

220 in sequence

On 12/26/19 11:06 AM, wrote:
Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

You're over your head dude. Hire an electrician!

--
The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the
naughty girls live.

[email protected] December 26th 19 08:33 PM

220 in sequence

wrote:

Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

The only wire you can share is the ground. (same size as the
ungrounded conductors).

Not sure what that means. If you put two heaters on one circuit,
you are sharing all the conductors.

"Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share
any wires whether its the ground or neutral?"

You only have to supply one Equipment Grounding Conductor, sized to
the largest overcurrent device in the group. You can't share any
current carrying conductors on separate circuits tho.

Clare Snyder December 27th 19 01:42 AM

220 in sequence

wrote:

I’m wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether it’s the ground or neutral?

Depends on wattage of the heaters and capacity of the circuit - so
the answer is either "yes if" or "no but"

Clare Snyder December 27th 19 01:44 AM

220 in sequence

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 12:02:45 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I?m wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether it?s the ground or neutral?

You have not provided enough information.

1. what is the current or wattage of each heater
2. how many heaters
3. what size breaker do you have
4. what size wire are you using
5. do you know anything about electrical wireing ? Most likely you
will not be using a neutral in a 220 (240 ) volt US electrical heater
system.

I'd say if you don't know the answer you should NOT be doing it for
someone else.

trader_4 December 27th 19 03:23 PM

220 in sequence

wrote:

Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

The only wire you can share is the ground. (same size as the
ungrounded conductors).

Not sure what that means. If you put two heaters on one circuit,
you are sharing all the conductors.

"Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share
any wires whether its the ground or neutral?"

You only have to supply one Equipment Grounding Conductor, sized to
the largest overcurrent device in the group. You can't share any
current carrying conductors on separate circuits tho.

OK, I see. What defines a group then? In the same conduit?
Anything else? For a porch I figure he'd use Romex, so if he has two
circuits he gets two ground wires anyway.

[email protected] December 27th 19 05:37 PM

220 in sequence

wrote:

Im wiring some patio heaters for a buddy that require 220. Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share any wires whether its the ground or neutral?

The only wire you can share is the ground. (same size as the
ungrounded conductors).

Not sure what that means. If you put two heaters on one circuit,
you are sharing all the conductors.

"Do I need to run a separate 220 for each heater & if so can I share
any wires whether its the ground or neutral?"

You only have to supply one Equipment Grounding Conductor, sized to
the largest overcurrent device in the group. You can't share any
current carrying conductors on separate circuits tho.

OK, I see. What defines a group then? In the same conduit?
Anything else? For a porch I figure he'd use Romex, so if he has two
circuits he gets two ground wires anyway.

It can really be anything but for your usual residential setting, you
are right, the cable wiring methods come with their own ground. It
usually comes up when you are using plastic conduit or tube. Carlon
was trying very hard to get Smurf tube (ENT) into residential
installations 25 years ago but they ended up settling for a more
limited market. The only place I see it here is when they are pouring
concrete around it. That is what I did in my addition too. The boxes
are in poured cells, fed with 3/4" smurf. There is no drywall out
there. The normal installation is the light over a garage door or
coach lights on the sides, poured in the tie beam and doweled cells
on both sides of the door.