Posted to alt.home.repair

Default seatbelt

Car is in a traffic accident,

Body shop won't return the car for 4 months because they ordered a new
seat belt and it's not avaibable anywhere in the US, has to come from
some other country. Takes 4 months.

Have you ever heard that a body shop can't return a car if a seat belt
is missing?

Why couldn't they get a seatbelt from a junkyard, at least temporarily.

They didn't say what kind of car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/19 2:02 AM, micky wrote:

Car is in a traffic accident,

Body shop won't return the car for 4 months because they ordered a new
seat belt and it's not avaibable anywhere in the US, has to come from
some other country. Takes 4 months.

Have you ever heard that a body shop can't return a car if a seat belt
is missing?

Why couldn't they get a seatbelt from a junkyard, at least temporarily.

They didn't say what kind of car.

Is the democrat's "big government" getting in the way of your life?

Pay the bill in full and then send a flatbed over to pick it up and have
it delivered to your home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 23 Dec 2019 02:02:12 -0500, micky
wrote:

Car is in a traffic accident,

Body shop won't return the car for 4 months because they ordered a new
seat belt and it's not avaibable anywhere in the US, has to come from
some other country. Takes 4 months.

Have you ever heard that a body shop can't return a car if a seat belt
is missing?

Why couldn't they get a seatbelt from a junkyard, at least temporarily.

They didn't say what kind of car.

Thank the Traders of the world for that.
It is that "keep us safe, no matter what" thinking.

You are right, go to a junk yard and get one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Car is in a traffic accident,

Body shop won't return the car for 4 months because they ordered a new
seat belt and it's not avaibable anywhere in the US, has to come from
some other country. Takes 4 months.

Have you ever heard that a body shop can't return a car if a seat belt
is missing?

Why couldn't they get a seatbelt from a junkyard, at least temporarily.

They didn't say what kind of car.

Thank the Traders of the world for that.
It is that "keep us safe, no matter what" thinking.

You are right, go to a junk yard and get one.

Actually, if it takes 4 months to get a seat belt, maybe it's being
caused by one of Trump's trade wars. Notably lacking is any mention
of what kind of car this is, how old, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Car is in a traffic accident,

Body shop won't return the car for 4 months because they ordered a new
seat belt and it's not avaibable anywhere in the US, has to come from
some other country. Takes 4 months.

Have you ever heard that a body shop can't return a car if a seat belt
is missing?

Why couldn't they get a seatbelt from a junkyard, at least temporarily.

They didn't say what kind of car.

Thank the Traders of the world for that.
It is that "keep us safe, no matter what" thinking.

You are right, go to a junk yard and get one.

Actually, if it takes 4 months to get a seat belt, maybe it's being
caused by one of Trump's trade wars. Notably lacking is any mention
of what kind of car this is, how old, etc.

I didn't hear about the trade war with Japan or Korea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Car is in a traffic accident,

Body shop won't return the car for 4 months because they ordered a new
seat belt and it's not avaibable anywhere in the US, has to come from
some other country. Takes 4 months.

Have you ever heard that a body shop can't return a car if a seat belt
is missing?

Why couldn't they get a seatbelt from a junkyard, at least temporarily.

They didn't say what kind of car.

Thank the Traders of the world for that.
It is that "keep us safe, no matter what" thinking.

You are right, go to a junk yard and get one.

Actually, if it takes 4 months to get a seat belt, maybe it's being
caused by one of Trump's trade wars. Notably lacking is any mention
of what kind of car this is, how old, etc.

I didn't hear about the trade war with Japan or Korea.

Who said the seat belt was coming from there? And Trump has had them
included in his trade wars, the steel tariffs for example, applied
to them. But the comment was pretty much a joke. IDK why it would
ever take 4 months to get a seat belt. But them Micky seems to come
across all kinds of things that you and I never encounter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Car is in a traffic accident,

Body shop won't return the car for 4 months because they ordered a new
seat belt and it's not avaibable anywhere in the US, has to come from
some other country. Takes 4 months.

Have you ever heard that a body shop can't return a car if a seat belt
is missing?

Why couldn't they get a seatbelt from a junkyard, at least temporarily.

They didn't say what kind of car.

Thank the Traders of the world for that.
It is that "keep us safe, no matter what" thinking.

You are right, go to a junk yard and get one.

Actually, if it takes 4 months to get a seat belt, maybe it's being
caused by one of Trump's trade wars. Notably lacking is any mention
of what kind of car this is, how old, etc.

I didn't hear about the trade war with Japan or Korea.

And the replacement parts would have been made the same year or soon
after the original belts were made, long before the stupid tariffs.

I know they edit these tv court programs but what they showed didn't
include a word about junk yards. I think a lot of customers don't know
about them, especially the middle-aged woman who was suing. Of course
she had a rental and reason to think the other side would pay for the
rental.

(She wanted her car rental paid for by the guy who hit her, and his
insurance company wanted someething from the repair shop that said they
coudlnt' get the seat belt for 4 months. The repair shop claimed. oh,
it was Mercedes, only mentioned in passing, that Mercedes had sent them
the proper document, but I guess they were claiming they didn't get it,
or it wasn't enough. )

Mercedes
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Build all the parts ever needed for a 1992 Ford Taurus in 1992?
I don;t think so. Maybe if a Democrat like your ran the company.
Would take a hell of a good forecast and a BF warehouse.

I know they edit these tv court programs but what they showed didn't
include a word about junk yards. I think a lot of customers don't know
about them, especially the middle-aged woman who was suing. Of course
she had a rental and reason to think the other side would pay for the
rental.

(She wanted her car rental paid for by the guy who hit her, and his
insurance company wanted someething from the repair shop that said they
coudlnt' get the seat belt for 4 months. The repair shop claimed. oh,
it was Mercedes, only mentioned in passing, that Mercedes had sent them
the proper document, but I guess they were claiming they didn't get it,
or it wasn't enough. )

Mercedes

Or maybe they are just lying, the shop didn't fix it for some other reason
and they had to make some excuse.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I doubt they built OEM parts long after the model run was over. They
move on. Machines are changed to make parts for new cars and in some
cases there just won't be any parts. I ran into that with a door
handle for my Honda.
There were still people who listed it but they were all out of stock.

I ended up fixing the old one, and it wasn't pretty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, in many cases parts like replacement seat belts are made less
than 3 months from the time they are sold. In many cases they are not
stocked in quantity in North American warehouses and are supplied on
an as-needed basis - assembled and shipped from overseas suppliers.

I know they edit these tv court programs but what they showed didn't
include a word about junk yards. I think a lot of customers don't know
about them, especially the middle-aged woman who was suing. Of course
she had a rental and reason to think the other side would pay for the
rental.

(She wanted her car rental paid for by the guy who hit her, and his
insurance company wanted someething from the repair shop that said they
coudlnt' get the seat belt for 4 months. The repair shop claimed. oh,
it was Mercedes, only mentioned in passing, that Mercedes had sent them
the proper document, but I guess they were claiming they didn't get it,
or it wasn't enough. )

Mercedes

Anyone with any sense owning a Mercedes (or other similar high end
import) has a "second car" that they use for out of town trips, foul
weather driving, and for the interminable waits for repairs and
spares.
That's what Chevys and Fords are made for - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

There are "second source" suppliers for virtually all parts today if
you make the effort to find them - and replacement parts are often run
by the OEM when the backorder list gets long enough to make economic
sense to do so.
Say the minimum setup run is 1000 pieces. When they have a demand for
300 parts they run off 1000 (or 1500) and fill the backorder charging
a sizeable premium to cover the cost of the run - and then keep the
remainder in stock (at no capital cost) to fill orders for a few more
years.

Eventually they do run out and stop supplying them - and that's where
the "second source" suppliers chip in if a demand exists. Second
Source also comes into play if the OEM gets too greedy - if there is
money to be made, these companies WILL be there!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

One reason I bought a luxury car was comfort on out of town trips. If I
take off for a couple of thousand miles I'm not taking a beater. I only
have one car.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But it's not "CHERMIN" or French or Italian. (or a Cadillac)
I know quite a few people who owned Mercedes, BMW, Jag and Cadillac
cars who gave up on driving them long distances, ond ones with
Maseratis, Farraris and Lambos who never even attempted taking them
on long trips and eventually just replaced them (not the Farrari and
Lambo) with Lexus that they could drive around town AND enjoy on the
highway. The one Caddy knew every dealer between Waterloo Ontario and
southern Florida - another every dealer between Waterloo and Anne
Arbor Michigan. The third Caddy owner went through 3 Caddies in 2
years - never had either one out of the shop for more than 3 months
and I don't think any one of those three got more than 150 miles from
home. Caddy number one's backup was a Lincoln Continental. Caddy #2's
backup was a Lexus (and it's replacement first an Avalon, then a
Lexus) and the third one was backed up by a Camry and a fleet of
pickup trucks.

The family with the jags, Ferarri and Lambo had a fleet of Impalas for
long distance drives. The Ferarri and Lambo were just for polishing
and dusting and the odd "night on the town" and the Jags were the
wives cars

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 23 Dec 2019 17:07:03 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 12/23/2019 4:31 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Who said the seat belt was coming from there? And Trump has had them
included in his trade wars, the steel tariffs for example, applied
to them. But the comment was pretty much a joke. IDK why it would
ever take 4 months to get a seat belt. But them Micky seems to come
across all kinds of things that you and I never encounter.

Hard to bleieve 4 months for the seat belt. I hope I never buy a car
that has that kind of lead time for parts.

I have order around 200 things off ebay from China. They charge no or
very low postage. Some items were even under one dollar postage paid.
They usually arrive in a month . The longest was 7 weeks.

If is an older car and no parts in stock, I can see four months. The
supplier may may a small run of that item and it is not scheduled for a
long time. I know we had machines at work with long setups and long
runs and I'd not break in just for one lady than needed one part.

Junk yard would be my choice even if it was the wrong color. Come back
in four months and we'll swap it out.

Absolutely. They also didn't say which seat it was for. If it's not the
driver's seat, the owner can "promise" not to put anyone in the seat
without the belt. They could mount a rat trap to the seat to make sure.
if the junk yard car is missing its windows, the belt might be ruined,
but otherwise, it's no older than lots of cars on the road.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

All that assumes you have a part that they see a need to make. If the
usage is a few dozen a year and the cars are going to the junkyard
faster than that, nobody is going to tool up to make more parts. If
this was a metal part, I might have tried to find one in a junk yard
but plastic parts go bad just sitting there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Canadians are cheapskates. We have people around Naples who have a
Benz as their beater and the Rolls is their nice car. Hubby might have
a Lambo too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think you will find that's not true. Why would Bosch, for example,
an OEM supplier to BMW, MB, etc, stop making parts after the model
build was over. You're telling us they make brake pads, calipers,
radiator hoses, etc for the next 20 years, guessing at what the
demand might be? That would be nuts. And you can get parts from
OEM suppliers like that for cars that are 20 years old today.

And no one said the part had to be from an OEM supplier either.

They
move on. Machines are changed to make parts for new cars and in some
cases there just won't be any parts. I ran into that with a door
handle for my Honda.

How old was this car? It's rare for that to happen, unless the car is
very old. And in the above case, no one said they don't make them
anymore, they said it takes 4 months to get one when you order it.

There were still people who listed it but they were all out of stock.

I ended up fixing the old one, and it wasn't pretty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Oh, BS. I've owned Mercedes and the parts are just as readily available
as for any other car. Sometimes more so. The MB US warehouse is in
northern NJ. If the dealer doesn't have the part, they can typically
have it the next day, unless it's something rarely needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What nonsense. If they gave up on them, then it's either because they
are stupid or they bought fifteen year old ones with 250K miles on them.
The idea that MB, BMW, Cadillac are unfit for long distance travel
is patently absurd.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2019 08:57 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Caddy number one's backup was a Lincoln Continental. Caddy #2's
backup was a Lexus (and it's replacement first an Avalon, then a
Lexus) and the third one was backed up by a Camry and a fleet of
pickup trucks.

A friend of mine bought a Merc and that lasted a few months. It was a
diesel that performed like a '61 Volkswagen.
next up was a Cadillac that he had visitation rights for since it really
lived at the dealer's. A couple of more months and he was driving a
Lincoln Towncar that he really liked. The finally straw was when his
secretary showed up with a new Pontiac that looked like the Caddie's twin.

He comment; 'I finally figured if I was going to be n-----r rich I'd do
it right.'

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 24, 2019 at 9:46:43 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 12/23/2019 08:57 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Caddy number one's backup was a Lincoln Continental. Caddy #2's
backup was a Lexus (and it's replacement first an Avalon, then a
Lexus) and the third one was backed up by a Camry and a fleet of
pickup trucks.

A friend of mine bought a Merc and that lasted a few months. It was a
diesel that performed like a '61 Volkswagen.

With an engine that typically lasts 400K+ miles, these cars are used for
taxis in many countries, because of their durability, longevity and
fuel economy. Yes, the older ones didn't accelerate very well,
especially the non turbo models. But then they were getting 30+
MPG, when similar gas cars were getting about half that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/23/2019 2:02 AM, micky wrote:

Car is in a traffic accident,

Body shop won't return the car for 4 months because they ordered a new
seat belt and it's not avaibable anywhere in the US, has to come from
some other country. Takes 4 months.

Have you ever heard that a body shop can't return a car if a seat belt
is missing?

Why couldn't they get a seatbelt from a junkyard, at least temporarily.

They didn't say what kind of car.

Wonder if body shop is scamming your insurance company by charging daily
storage for the car. It happened to me last year in an accident with
the tow shop not releasing it. Same thing happened in an accident 20
years ago with insurance company urging me to get it taken to the body
shop. In both cases car was totaled but insurance could take two weeks
to look at it and they had no control over the guy that towed it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Brake pads are a commodity, maintenance items, spanning many years and
many product lines. How about things that are year and model specific?

97 Honda Prelude door handle. Lots of people list the part, actually
finding one in stock, in the right color, not so much.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Did you try the dealer?

Ebay? Plenty of them on Ebay, brand new in various colors. And whether
it's stock or not isn't the issue. Sure, the dealer might have to order
it. the issue was whether they are still being made.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The dealer searched the national Honda database and came up with a
black one, shipped from out of state. My car is red. He told me, they
are pretty rare. (two model years, of one model car)

Ebay? Plenty of them on Ebay, brand new in various colors. And whether
it's stock or not isn't the issue. Sure, the dealer might have to order
it. the issue was whether they are still being made.

That did not seem to be the case when I looked and they wanted a
couple hundred bucks for one in the wrong color. You do need to be
careful and be sure they are selling you exactly the same part number
or it is not going to fit. They do lie/don't know better.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And the obvious next question would be, how long to order one from
Honda? Again the issue wasn't whether it's in stock at a dealer,
in stock in the US, but whether they are still being manufactured.
If I go into the MB dealer, they first see if they have it in stock.
If not, they check the MB North America warehouse. If they don't
have it, they check MB direct. Given that multiple
vendors are selling new ones on Ebay, it would seem that those Honda
door handles are being manufactured, but it is possible they may not
continue to make them in the less popular colors at some point.

Ebay? Plenty of them on Ebay, brand new in various colors. And whether
it's stock or not isn't the issue. Sure, the dealer might have to order
it. the issue was whether they are still being made.

That did not seem to be the case when I looked and they wanted a
couple hundred bucks for one in the wrong color. You do need to be
careful and be sure they are selling you exactly the same part number
or it is not going to fit. They do lie/don't know better.

Price is another issue and why people often wind up at a salvage yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That was Honda saying they did not have any in the database and they
did not think the door handle fairy was going to come up with any
more. No manufacturer is going to crank up a line to manufacture a
unique part for a car that is more than 10 years old (max under the
law).
If there was enough demand, like for maintenance items (brake pads
etc) OEMs would jump in but they also would only be interested in
parts that span many models and model years. This feeds right back
into that headlight conversation. If you have a somewhat rare car and
you need a unique headlight assembly, when current stock is gone, they
are likely to be gone forever except for salvage parts.

Ebay? Plenty of them on Ebay, brand new in various colors. And whether
it's stock or not isn't the issue. Sure, the dealer might have to order
it. the issue was whether they are still being made.

That did not seem to be the case when I looked and they wanted a
couple hundred bucks for one in the wrong color. You do need to be
careful and be sure they are selling you exactly the same part number
or it is not going to fit. They do lie/don't know better.

Price is another issue and why people often wind up at a salvage yard.

The problem is a plastic door handle in a junk yard will be as
environmentally degraded as the one that broke. That is just a tumor
transplant.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The door handle for my '96 Ranger is still available from FORD - AND
fron at least 6 other "second sourse" suppliers including Dorman. The
Honda one is likely still available in Japan as well - just not
available through Honda USA.

I had the same issue with a frame section on my old 1980 Corolla a
while back. Toyota Canada swore it was no longer available. I called a
dealer in Buffalo and went down and picked it up the next weekend. OEM
part, right out of the Toyota USA stock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They made a whole lot more Rangers with the same basic body style than
they did the Prelude, for a lot more years. This part only works for 2
model years and no other Honda body style, or so the parts guy told
me. I am not sure if the Honda dealer had access to Japanese parts
sources but they were searching every dealer inventory in the US.
(maybe Canada). One of the reasons I like this car is I don't see
myself coming the other way on the road very often. I have really only
seen one other Prelude like mine in the last 18 years around here and
I haven't seen it for a while.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That's just more bad information. There are parts available for
just about all cars that are only ten years old. I have a 40 year old
classic Mercedes in the garage and many parts are still available new
for it. Less now, but even at 20 years, anything I needed I got.

If there was enough demand, like for maintenance items (brake pads
etc) OEMs would jump in

They don't have to jump in, they are where the parts came from to
begin with and I've yet to have an experience where a part for a
ten year old car is no longer available. Can it happen? Sure, but
it's sure not the typical case.

[...]

Then just send the whole car to the junk yard, problem solved.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

So if no one makes the seatbelt and the body shop won't release the car
without all its seatbelts, do you have to throw away the car?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

A seatbelt is a pretty generic part and you can easily find something
in a junkyard that will satisfy the law.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I bet there are plenty of model specific parts for that car that are
unobtainable "new" from the OEM or any other source.
It all depends on anticipated usage and what they have stashed around
the world in dealer sops and warehouses. Mercedes (or Honda) makes
their money selling new cars. A car that gets junked is a sales
opportunity for them. The government requires "reasonable parts
support" for 10 years. After that it is whatever is in the pipeline or
what an after market comes up with. On a low volume vehicle, unique
parts can easily become unavailable "new", particularly if there was
an unanticipated demand, late in the cycle, after the OEM has shut
down that line. Then again, someone *might* come up with one at 5x the
list price, but I am not doing that either. List on the last one I
bought was $75 and I did pay $125 by the time I had it in my hand (for
the wrong color) but when the other handle broke, I couldn't even find
that.

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Actually, no you can't. Modifications to the restraint system are NOT
allowed.
In practice it would not be hard to retrofit parts from a different
model - but under THE LAW, you can't.
Hasn't stopped me in the past as long as the functionality is the
same. Often the difference between 2 parts is the wiring connector -
I've been known to replace them to make a newer part fit.
The issue is the retractor/lock/and tensioner apparatus which all have
to functionproperly. It's not like a '71 Chevy pickup.

As far as the door handles on the Prelude are concerned if you REALLY
want to keep the car a good body shop can convert it to a newer more
common handle - or a custom one.

What year prelude did you say it was???
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

1997 to 2001 are the same handle on Prelude. And they ARE paintable.
right side part number 72140SW5Y01xx left side 72183SW3013xx
The xx is the color code -
Euroautosolutions has all colore listed on ebay for $133.95 each brand
new OEM. They are just down the road from you in Lake Mary Florida.

I believe the actual business name is Dealer Sales Solutions at 106
Commerce Street in Lake Mary. I believe they can be reached at 407 878
7000.
Operated by Dan Rowland. They should have exactly what you are looking
for
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You have to remember MOST dealers will NOT go outside the authorized
parts chain to source parts. Many body shops will - as will many
independent specialist shops. THEY are the ones that know about
"second source" suppliers - many of which actually carry OEM parts, as
well as aftermarket.

I believe "dealer solutions" in Lake Mary is one of the larger
specialty second source suppliers in the south eastern states
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I believe the same part also fits the Acura TL of the same age
range. - colopurs may not be perfect match. They ARE discontinued by
both Honda and Acura directly - but APPEAR to still be available
"second source - order for an acura and you payed about $30 more from
the dealers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You certainly could if it was the same part number or a designated
substitute. A little googling should give you a list of target
vehicles.

Hasn't stopped me in the past as long as the functionality is the
same. Often the difference between 2 parts is the wiring connector -
I've been known to replace them to make a newer part fit.
The issue is the retractor/lock/and tensioner apparatus which all have
to functionproperly. It's not like a '71 Chevy pickup.

As far as the door handles on the Prelude are concerned if you REALLY
want to keep the car a good body shop can convert it to a newer more
common handle - or a custom one.

What year prelude did you say it was???

97