Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Have an Amplicom AB 900 answering machine?

I have an Amplicom AB 900 answering machine and have, to me, a big problem
with it. It does not announce the calling telephone number before recording
the caller's response - while the phone is still ringing and answering
message has not yet played. This is unlike other answering machines I have
had and worn out. Knowing the caller telephone number permits me to avoid
talking to someone I'd rather not or robocalls.

I read the manual carefully and tried Google with no help.

Before I have to buy a different answering machine does anyone have a
solution?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in
:

I have an Amplicom AB 900 answering machine and have, to me, a big
problem with it. It does not announce the calling telephone number
before recording the caller's response - while the phone is still
ringing and answering message has not yet played. This is unlike other
answering machines I have had and worn out. Knowing the caller
telephone number permits me to avoid talking to someone I'd rather not
or robocalls.

I read the manual carefully and tried Google with no help.

Before I have to buy a different answering machine does anyone have a
solution?

TIA

BTW, there doesn't seem to be a telephone answering machine group to
post to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2019 10:19 AM, KenK wrote:

I have an Amplicom AB 900 answering machine and have, to me, a big
problem with it. It does not announce the calling telephone number
before recording the caller's response - while the phone is still
ringing and answering message has not yet played. This is unlike other
answering machines I have had and worn out. Knowing the caller
telephone number permits me to avoid talking to someone I'd rather not
or robocalls.

A telephone answering machine??
Didn't they quit making those back in the 1950's, you asshole!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/19 12:10 PM, KenK wrote:
I have an Amplicom AB 900 answering machine and have, to me, a big problem
with it. It does not announce the calling telephone number before recording
the caller's response - while the phone is still ringing and answering
message has not yet played. This is unlike other answering machines I have
had and worn out. Knowing the caller telephone number permits me to avoid
talking to someone I'd rather not or robocalls.

I read the manual carefully and tried Google with no help.

Before I have to buy a different answering machine does anyone have a
solution?

TIA

Is this something that has just started happening or something not
right from the get-go? I've had luck sometimes by just unplugging
electronic gizmos for a few minutes then resetting things. No specific
solution for your problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 20, 2019 at 8:09:59 PM UTC-5, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 12/20/19 12:10 PM, KenK wrote:
I have an Amplicom AB 900 answering machine and have, to me, a big problem
with it. It does not announce the calling telephone number before recording
the caller's response - while the phone is still ringing and answering
message has not yet played. This is unlike other answering machines I have
had and worn out. Knowing the caller telephone number permits me to avoid
talking to someone I'd rather not or robocalls.

I read the manual carefully and tried Google with no help.

Before I have to buy a different answering machine does anyone have a
solution?

TIA

Is this something that has just started happening or something not
right from the get-go? I've had luck sometimes by just unplugging
electronic gizmos for a few minutes then resetting things. No specific
solution for your problem.

I presume he's verified that he has caller id on whatever phone
service he's using? I would assume all VOIP services include it,
but land lines, who knows.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 20 Dec 2019 19:09:54 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

Amplicom AB 900

RTFM
It does not say it has Caller ID - and it doesn't. MOST do not - so if
you want that feature you will have to look for one that specifically
does.

Looks lioke a pretty cheesy unit from the manual.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Amplicom AB 900

RTFM
It does not say it has Caller ID - and it doesn't. MOST do not - so if
you want that feature you will have to look for one that specifically
does.

Looks lioke a pretty cheesy unit from the manual.

They said the same about your wife.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 20 Dec 2019 18:10:39 GMT, KenK
wrote:

I have an Amplicom AB 900 answering machine and have, to me, a big problem
with it. It does not announce the calling telephone number before recording
the caller's response - while the phone is still ringing and answering
message has not yet played. This is unlike other answering machines I have
had and worn out. Knowing the caller telephone number permits me to avoid
talking to someone I'd rather not or robocalls.

I read the manual carefully and tried Google with no help.

Before I have to buy a different answering machine does anyone have a
solution?

TIA

My answering machine does have caller-id, but it doesn't announce it.
Have to look at the screen, either the base station or the 3 cordless
extensions.

It's at least 10 years old, Uniden.

Mine has 26 buttons plus 3 soft keys, and I figure the more buttons the
better the machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The more buttons the less likely you will be able to use it - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The old KISS rule. Keep It Simple Stupid. The more things there
are, the
more likely something will break. I have no idea if that applies to
computer
programs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, the more buttons the more things it can do.

Some devices try to do many things with fewer buttons that change their
purpose depending on prior button pushes, soft keys, and a) you can't
look at the keys and see what they do until after you press the right
ones, b) I can't remember what they do.

I have no trouble remmembering what labeled keys do.