DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Bad breaker (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/642363-bad-breaker.html)

KenK November 30th 19 05:58 PM

Bad breaker

Found breaker that wouldn't reset. Took off all the loads; didn't help. I
made sure I switched it all the way off, then on. Just won't do anything.
Feels floppy. Do breakers just fail for no articular reason? The load
(refrig is the main load) works OK on a different outlet. Planning on
buying a new breaker and installing it if I can figure out how.

[email protected] November 30th 19 06:11 PM

Bad breaker

On 30 Nov 2019 17:58:47 GMT, KenK wrote:

Found breaker that wouldn't reset. Took off all the loads; didn't help. I
made sure I switched it all the way off, then on. Just won't do anything.
Feels floppy. Do breakers just fail for no articular reason? The load
(refrig is the main load) works OK on a different outlet. Planning on
buying a new breaker and installing it if I can figure out how.

It doesn't happen often but they do go bad. By "taking off all loads"
do you mean you took ther wire off the breaker? If so you are half way
there. Pull the old breaker out, plug in the new one and hook up the
wire. If you are uncomfortable knowing what you can touch, trip the
main breaker first. Pray that one resets

I lit a candle for you. ;-)

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] November 30th 19 06:11 PM

Bad breaker

On 11/30/2019 12:58 PM, KenK wrote:
Found breaker that wouldn't reset. Took off all the loads; didn't help. I
made sure I switched it all the way off, then on. Just won't do anything.
Feels floppy. Do breakers just fail for no articular reason? The load
(refrig is the main load) works OK on a different outlet. Planning on
buying a new breaker and installing it if I can figure out how.

Not common but does happen. Breakers are pretty simple to change. Most
pop out and then the new one in place, perhaps one screw on the buss.
Post the brand and someone may know exactly.