Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Please face forward and hold the handrail

On 12/1/2019 4:21 PM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 1 Dec 2019 15:32:36 -0500, Hawk
wrote:

On 12/1/2019 12:49 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 02:06:51 -0500, micky
wrote:

McDonalds didnt just serve their coffee hot their operations manual
required that is be served between 180 and 190 degrees; 30-40 degrees
hotter than other coffee-serving restaurants in the area. The Shriners
Burn Institute in Cincinnati issued warnings that coffee served above
130 degrees was 彭angerously hot. McDonalds knew that their coffee
was 從ot fit for consumption at the temperature it was served because
it caused third-degree burns within 3-7 seconds of contact with the
skin. In the ten years prior to this accident they had 700 complaints
of burns from their coffee, including complaints of burns to children
and infants from accidental spills.

The managers I talked to said they served it that hot so it would
still be drinkable when you got where you were going so you could sit
down and enjoy your meal. Nobody in fast food wants to admit they are
serving food drivers will be eating or drinking on the road. Too much
liability.

Exactly and nobody will admit they spilled it while driving. Therefore,
yes, I did pull over to add my condiments.

So did the woman and her grandson. Didn't read or double standard?

Obviously that sarcasm went over your head.

Do you expect anyone to admit the car was moving while opening a hot
beverage lid? Of course not, especially when advised by legal counsel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 13:40:18 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 11:53 AM, wrote:
I was a teamster (local 639) in DC for a summer but it was all around
town, delivering chickens and beef. I did get to know some over the
road guys in the Children's Band radio days. They do seem to be a
different sort of person. I was working midnights and it seemed I was
always talking to the same guys at about the same time, going around
the beltway, most nights. They seemed to be making the same runs over
and over. It sounded pretty boring to me but I guess they weren't
standing at 20th and K with a hind quarter on their shoulder waiting
for the light. ;-)

The east coast is different. There are a lot of short runs between
cities. They tend to spend all day getting a load then drive all night
to unload in the morning, rinse and repeat. I don't know how they do it.

Most of my runs were at least a thousand miles. The money makers for the
company were carpets and furniture. I'd haul carpet out of LA to Dalton
GA, Denver, Brooklyn, Seattle, and so forth. Out of Dalton I'd bring
Georgia carpet back to LA or Vegas, usually. The other option was
bopping around the southeast picking up furniture and bringing it to the
Mississippi terminal. A lot of the Mississippi furniture went out by
rail, but there were always hot loads going back west.

The nature of that sort of operation meant you'd get strange loads to
reposition you for paying loads. Peanuts from New Mexico to LA, scrap
batteries from Denver to LA, and so forth. Groceries were the ones that
really sucked. Most grocery warehouses don't unload the truck. You
either do it yourself or hire a lumper for $100 or so. The lumpers were
outside contractors that were somebody's cousin or paid off the
warehouse foreman. One time I thought I was golden since the stuff was
on pallets. The dickhead informed me the stacking pattern wasn't correct
and they would all have to be restacked to meet their requirements.

It was fun for a while. Most years I'd get back home in November, clean
the truck out, and head to southern Arizona for the winter. In the
spring I'd trickle back, throw my junk in another truck, and hit the
road. Seniority didn't buy you much. Work for your dispatcher and you
got good runs. Slack off, not meet schedules, and you'd get **** runs.

I knew some guys who were running Baltimore to Jacksonville 2 or 3
times a week. There were other guys with regular routes up and down
I-95 and they liked to do it at night. One guy was running coal from
West Virginia to Dahlgren Va. It was real pretty stuff, shiny
anthracite that looked like black diamonds. I rescued him one night on
270 and we were buddies. He gave me a pile of that and it I burned it
in my coal stove for a couple years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 13:56:12 -0700, rbowman wrote:

what I really liked in Ontario was the men only beerhalls.

They call those gay bars now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 7:29 PM, Barb wrote:
On 12/1/2019 6:53 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:00:35 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 08:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned.ツ* You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages.ツ* If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most
here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

ツ*From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the roadツ* and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal.ツ* If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

Sounds like Mexican traffic law. Whoever is still at the scene when the
cops arrive is the party at fault.

One of my DC cop buddies said if they pulled up on a property damage
accident and anyone wanted them to write a report they were giving
everyone a ticket. Usually they decided they could deal with it
themselves.

And what if my insurance company requires an accident report? Are the
fat ****ers too busy inhaling donuts?

I had experience of insurance company not requiring one when a deer ran
into me. But, last year they said it was a good idea when I had a hit
and run parked somewhere. I did not even pick up the dented fender for
a couple of days as it was on the passengers side. Police were very
nice in coming to my house to write it up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 19:29:17 -0500, Barb wrote:

On 12/1/2019 6:53 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:00:35 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 08:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
accident is your fault, then it is up to each driver to fix their own
car.
Say you are going down the road and decide to turn in a drive way,
there is a minimum distance where you are suppose to turn on the turn
signal. If someone rams you from behind, it is still partly your fault
if you did not signal atleast that far ahead of time.

Sounds like Mexican traffic law. Whoever is still at the scene when the
cops arrive is the party at fault.

One of my DC cop buddies said if they pulled up on a property damage
accident and anyone wanted them to write a report they were giving
everyone a ticket. Usually they decided they could deal with it
themselves.

And what if my insurance company requires an accident report? Are the fat ****ers too busy inhaling donuts?

You can file your own report with the police. There is no legal reason
for a cop to be there for property damage accidents. It is a civil
matter and if the cop didn't see it, he doesn't have much to add to
what you write. These guys stay pretty busy running real calls, they
don't want to be screwing with broken tail lights and bent fenders.
This not moving your car and waiting for the cop thing might work in
Mayberry but in the big city, they want you to get off the road if you
can and call a tow truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/01/2019 05:51 PM, Frank wrote:

I had experience of insurance company not requiring one when a deer ran
into me. But, last year they said it was a good idea when I had a hit
and run parked somewhere. I did not even pick up the dented fender for
a couple of days as it was on the passengers side. Police were very
nice in coming to my house to write it up.

I never bothered having the damage fixed but after the deer attempted
suicide by jumping on my hood he fled the scene.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 21:06:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/1/2019 6:58 PM, wrote:

Isn't it better to man up and accept the consequences of your actions?

Just forfeiting the collateral to get them to ignore you to "failing
appear" seems like the cowardly way out. That is what you are doing
when you "pay a ticket".
I was standing there in front of a judge prepared to defend my actions
with the chance that I could end up paying more than the collateral on
the ticket. How much more manning up do you want?

Traffic court is a crap shoot. I've heard plenty of stories good and bad.

My favorite was years ago in Philadelphia. Must have been 100 of us
there hoping to get out of or at least a lesser charge. Door opens and
the bailiff announces: Court is now in session, the Honorable Judge
Whoever presiding. Judge sits and say "how do you plead: so every one
of us says "NOT Guilty" and the judge responded "Dismissed" I guess he
had an early Tee time.

They went the other way in Lee County traffic court. The judge said
"You all had the opportunity to forfeit collateral and not waste my
time but if you want a trial you can have on. Just know, my guilty
verdicts come with fines of $500 and up so if you want to reconsider
there is a table in back where you can pay".

I suppose a good lawyer would be able to make a case that there was
something unconstitutional there but pretty much everyone paid.

In Maryland traffic court, the normal outcome was half the fine and
half the points so it was worth doing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:00:35 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 08:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

So if a taxpayer asks them to do the job they are paid to do, the taxpayer is threatened with a ticket?

Yah, the DC swamp needs to be drained.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:00:35 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 08:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

It is more like the tax payer would rather have them running the 30-35
felony calls they get a day than screwing around with traffic
accidents that they really have no function in. Tell me again, what
does a cop who never saw a thing add to this civil problem between two
bad drivers?
You can bet your ass they are both blaming the other guy so why not
write them both tickets? Let the court sort it out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 10:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2019 05:51 PM, Frank wrote:

I had experience of insurance company not requiring one when a deer ran
into me.ツ* But, last year they said it was a good idea when I had a hit
and run parked somewhere.ツ* I did not even pick up the dented fender for
a couple of days as it was on the passengers side.ツ* Police were very
nice in coming to my house to write it up.

I never bothered having the damage fixed but after the deer attempted
suicide by jumping on my hood he fled the scene.

My deer committed suicide and repair cost was $2,400. He truly hit me.
Came out of nowhere giving me no time to brake or swerve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 6:42 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 06:13:07 -0500, drain-the-swamp
wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:00:35 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 08:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

Yet they always have time to hide in the bushes and wait for seat-belt scofflaws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 7:32 AM, Frank wrote:
On 12/1/2019 10:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2019 05:51 PM, Frank wrote:

I had experience of insurance company not requiring one when a deer ran
into me.ツ* But, last year they said it was a good idea when I had a hit
and run parked somewhere.ツ* I did not even pick up the dented fender for
a couple of days as it was on the passengers side.ツ* Police were very
nice in coming to my house to write it up.

I never bothered having the damage fixed but after the deer attempted
suicide by jumping on my hood he fled the scene.

My deer committed suicide and repair cost was $2,400.ツ* He truly hit me.
Came out of nowhere giving me no time to brake or swerve.

Sue PETA. If not for them that deer would have been on the dinner table
months ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 9:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/2/2019 7:32 AM, Frank wrote:
On 12/1/2019 10:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2019 05:51 PM, Frank wrote:

I had experience of insurance company not requiring one when a deer ran
into me.ツ* But, last year they said it was a good idea when I had a hit
and run parked somewhere.ツ* I did not even pick up the dented fender for
a couple of days as it was on the passengers side.ツ* Police were very
nice in coming to my house to write it up.

I never bothered having the damage fixed but after the deer attempted
suicide by jumping on my hood he fled the scene.

My deer committed suicide and repair cost was $2,400.ツ* He truly hit
me. Came out of nowhere giving me no time to brake or swerve.

Sue PETA.ツ* If not for them that deer would have been on the dinner table
months ago.

The irony is that I was returning from deer hunting. It came out of a
bank parking lot of all places. I could have gone back to get it but
was more concerned about damage to the car. Good thing was with this
kind of accident, I had paid no deductible. I thought damage was slight
but repair shop found stuff beneath and it took a week. Spent part of
that time taking a defensive driving course on line which reduced car
insurance cost 15%.

I told someone the next day and I think he retrieved it for his dogs.
The police just dragged it off the road after I called them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 11:26 AM, fuxt wrote:
On 12/2/19 10:11 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
does a cop who never saw a thing add to this civil problem between two
bad drivers?
You can bet your ass they are both blaming the other guy so why not
write them both tickets? Let the court sort it out.

Yet they always have time to hide in the bushes and wait for
seat-belt scofflaws.

Maybe insead of the city police just having general officers, they
should have a lower paid traffic devision where they just go around
handling traffic calls, and maybe spending the time where they are not
checking traffic patrolling shopping center parking lots looking for
other law breakers.

Due to insurance fraud, some insurance companies now demand
documentation for even minor auto accidents.ツ* If you don't comply with
their heavy-handed rules...no soup for you!

Maybe instead of the democrats wasting time and tax dollars on the Trump
witch-hunt, maybe the lazy slugs could create some better insurance laws
for the customers who pay the premiums?ツ* Or maybe the lazy elected slugs
could do something useful by policing the minor auto accidents?ツ* Or
maybe the insurance company should send an investigator out to the
accident if they want documentation?ツ* I know, wishful thinking.

One of our sons is an insurance company lawyer. I hear it from both
sides. Some people get a scratch on their car, they think they have won
the lottery. They bring in evidence of injuries for things like bad
backs which were bad before the accident. There are even shady doctors
that will lie for them. Ends up increasing cost of insurance for all of us.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 08:38:00 -0500, Barb wrote:

On 12/2/2019 6:42 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 06:13:07 -0500, drain-the-swamp
wrote:

wrote:
On Sun, 1 Dec 2019 12:00:35 -0700, rbowman wrote:

On 12/01/2019 08:32 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , "frank says...
In courts here in Delaware if defendant is found against them blame is
apportioned. You do not sue for a dollar value but essentially for
damages. If it were determined that it was 90% her fault, as most here
would agree, she might recover 10% of the damages.

From my limited experence in NC traffic laws if even 1 percent of an
[...]

You were not going to see much of that in DC, at least not in the 80s
when I was there. The cops were booking 250 or 300 murders a year and
close to half went unsolved, they were working over 1000 armed
robberies a year along with the aggravated assaults, rapes and
miscellaneous "man with a gun" calls. The only traffic they worked was
fatal/serious injury accidents.
Posted to alt.home.repair

https://imgur.com/a/0OzKZz1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 11:26 AM, fuxt wrote:

Maybe instead of the democrats wasting time and tax dollars on the Trump
witch-hunt, maybe the lazy slugs could create some better insurance laws
for the customers who pay the premiums?ツ* Or maybe the lazy elected slugs
could do something useful by policing the minor auto accidents?ツ* Or
maybe the insurance company should send an investigator out to the
accident if they want documentation?ツ* I know, wishful thinking.

So your car gets hit, now you want to wait for the insurance company to
send an investigator? Yeah, that makes sense.

Sometimes you need the police.
When I got hit the police came in minutes, three of them. No one hurt
but ambulance showed up too. Drunk lady that hit me was taken away in
handcuffs, I went to the station and gave a statement, report was
available for the insurance. Really easy.

Back in 1982 I hit a young lady on a bicycle and put her into the
windshield. Police established blame, had a witness, she was liable.
My insurance paid for my car because she had nothing to collect from but
they paid nothing for her medical bills. This was about 7:30 AM and she
was on her way home from a party when she turned right in front of me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 11:54 AM, Frank wrote:

One of our sons is an insurance company lawyer.ツ* I hear it from both
sides.ツ* Some people get a scratch on their car, they think they have won
the lottery.ツ* They bring in evidence of injuries for things like bad
backs which were bad before the accident.ツ* There are even shady doctors
that will lie for them.ツ* Ends up increasing cost of insurance for all of
us.

Right. I have no problem paying legitimate claims but it seems there
are huge payouts if you are willing to wear a neck brace for a few weeks.

Ever watch Judge Judy? She often asks the plaintiff where they work.
Often the answer is "I'm on disability" Seems to be a disproportionate
amount of people on disability looking for another payday.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 2:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/2/2019 11:26 AM, fuxt wrote:

Maybe instead of the democrats wasting time and tax dollars on the
Trump witch-hunt, maybe the lazy slugs could create some better
insurance laws for the customers who pay the premiums?ツ* Or maybe the
lazy elected slugs could do something useful by policing the minor
auto accidents?ツ* Or maybe the insurance company should send an
investigator out to the accident if they want documentation?ツ* I know,
wishful thinking.

So your car gets hit, now you want to wait for the insurance company to
send an investigator?ツ* Yeah, that makes sense.

Sometimes you need the police.
When I got hit the police came in minutes, three of them.ツ* No one hurt
but ambulance showed up too.ツ* Drunk lady that hit me was taken away in
handcuffs, I went to the station and gave a statement, report was
available for the insurance.ツ* Really easy.

Back in 1982 I hit a young lady on a bicycle and put her into the
windshield.ツ* Police established blame, had a witness, she was liable. My
insurance paid for my car because she had nothing to collect from but
they paid nothing for her medical bills. This was about 7:30 AM and she
was on her way home from a party when she turned right in front of me.

I had an accident last year and found insurance company gets hosed by
others. We had to fight to get my car out of impound which was charging
them a high daily fee. Hospital was also double billing them. Whenever
there is a pile of money available the vultures start circling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 12/2/2019 11:54 AM, Frank wrote:

One of our sons is an insurance company lawyer.ツ* I hear it from both
sides.ツ* Some people get a scratch on their car, they think they have won
the lottery.ツ* They bring in evidence of injuries for things like bad
backs which were bad before the accident.ツ* There are even shady doctors
that will lie for them.ツ* Ends up increasing cost of insurance for all of
us.

Right. I have no problem paying legitimate claims but it seems there
are huge payouts if you are willing to wear a neck brace for a few weeks.

Ever watch Judge Judy?

JJ is entertainment, nothing more. If you think the real world is anything
like JJ, then you're not thinking clearly. Even if, and it's a longshot,
anything they say on the program represents reality, it's a corner case,
not the normal.

It's sad that anyone would draw conclusions about their fellow americans
based on a really stupid TV show.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Maybe instead of the democrats wasting time and tax dollars on the Trump witch-hunt, maybe the lazy slugs could create some better insurance laws for the customers who pay the premiums? Or maybe the lazy elected slugs could do something useful by
policing the minor auto accidents?ツ* Or maybe the insurance company should send an investigator out to the accident if they want documentation?ツ* I know, wishful thinking.

One of our sons is an insurance company lawyer.ツ* I hear it from both sides.ツ* Some people get a scratch on their car, they think they have won the lottery.ツ* They bring in evidence of injuries for things like bad backs which were bad before the
accident.ツ* There are even shady doctors that will lie for them.ツ* Ends up increasing cost of insurance for all of us.

Yah, the US has a lot of welfare democrats so I imagine the insurance companies are the victims of a lot of fraud.

--
Get off my lawn!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 3:33 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 12/2/2019 11:54 AM, Frank wrote:

One of our sons is an insurance company lawyer.テつ* I hear it from both
sides.テつ* Some people get a scratch on their car, they think they have won
the lottery.テつ* They bring in evidence of injuries for things like bad
backs which were bad before the accident.テつ* There are even shady doctors
that will lie for them.テつ* Ends up increasing cost of insurance for all of
us.

Right. I have no problem paying legitimate claims but it seems there
are huge payouts if you are willing to wear a neck brace for a few weeks.

Ever watch Judge Judy?

JJ is entertainment, nothing more. If you think the real world is anything
like JJ, then you're not thinking clearly. Even if, and it's a longshot,
anything they say on the program represents reality, it's a corner case,
not the normal.

It's sad that anyone would draw conclusions about their fellow americans
based on a really stupid TV show.

It may be entertainment but it still shows a trend. They were real
court cases before the show. Ehat is stupis is the number of people
that get away with crap like that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
[...]

Actually, it doesn't show anything like a trend. Do you think
they would ever pick a boring case with no drama such as is the
reality of 99.9999% of court cases in the legal system? No, they
pick sensationalist cases that attract eyeballs; they're no different
than the National Inquirer or the Daily Mail; pure sensationalism.

You're taking selection bias to the extreme by applying anything
from that show to reality.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski writes:
On 12/2/2019 11:54 AM, Frank wrote:

One of our sons is an insurance company lawyer.テム堙つ* I hear it from both
sides.テム堙つ* Some people get a scratch on their car, they think they have won
the lottery.テム堙つ* They bring in evidence of injuries for things like bad
backs which were bad before the accident.テム堙つ* There are even shady doctors
that will lie for them.テム堙つ* Ends up increasing cost of insurance for all of
[...]

Sounds like MSNBC and CNN. They are just looking for ratings too,
trying to beat Fox. It is all "Entertainment TV" these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/1/2019 2:31 PM, Hawk wrote:
On 12/1/2019 1:51 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2019 07:17 AM, Hawk wrote:
OR maybe I don't care to ruffle through the abundant links you provide
because it doesn't remove the fact that hot is hot. Anyone who
purchases
food from a drive thru is at risk of causing harm to themselves and/or
others from spills of food or worse, hot beverages. And maybe I simply
believe that drivers should focus on driving instead of eating,
drinking
hot beverages or removing the lids, texting or anything that diverts
the
attention from their driving. Family, friends or otherwise, I'd say the
same. If common sense makes me callous, so be it.

The woman in question was not driving and the vehicle was not in
motion. She was 79 with her grandson at the wheel. After getting the
coffee he had pulled aside to let her add the cream and sugar.

Correct, I acknowledge that in another reply and also added I'm
skeptical of the pulling over. Attorney's will advise to say so
otherwise, they hang themselves.

I also stated in another reply that driver or passenger(s) assume the
risk of injury as a passenger is not aware of what lies ahead while
driving. If it's true they did indeed pullover, the lady is still at
fault for being clumsy. Simply put, hot is hot and people know it. 109
+ degrees burns skin. Hot beverages are all over 109 degrees. Drink at
your own risk.

ツ* I'm calling bull**** on that 109ツー degrees . I mean , that's only 10ツー
above body temp ! The burn temp is more like 120-125ツー , and that depends
on the age and health of the person involved . I keep my main water
heater set at 125ツー , and rinse off in the shower under straight hot
water . Not everybody likes it that hot but it won't burn the average
adult . Now the small w/h under the house that supplies the kitchen sink
and the dishwasher is set at max , around 140-145ツー for sanitation
reasons (it's fed from the main w/h).

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 2 Dec 2019 21:02:03 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 12/1/2019 2:31 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

* I'm calling bull**** on that 109ー degrees . I mean , that's only 10ー
above body temp ! The burn temp is more like 120-125ー , and that depends
on the age and health of the person involved . I keep my main water
heater set at 125ー , and rinse off in the shower under straight hot
water . Not everybody likes it that hot but it won't burn the average
adult . Now the small w/h under the house that supplies the kitchen sink
and the dishwasher is set at max , around 140-145ー for sanitation
reasons (it's fed from the main w/h).

At 120F water will cause 1st degree burns in 8 minutes and 3rd in 10
At 125F water will cause 1st degree burns in 2 minutes and 3rd in 4
At 130F water will cause 1st degree burns in 17 seconds and 3rd in 30
At 140F water will cause 1st degree burns in 3 seconds and 3rd in 5
At 155 water will cause 1st degree burns instantly and 3rd in 1 sec.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/02/2019 07:44 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/2/2019 7:32 AM, Frank wrote:
On 12/1/2019 10:05 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/01/2019 05:51 PM, Frank wrote:

I had experience of insurance company not requiring one when a deer ran
into me. But, last year they said it was a good idea when I had a hit
and run parked somewhere. I did not even pick up the dented fender for
a couple of days as it was on the passengers side. Police were very
nice in coming to my house to write it up.

I never bothered having the damage fixed but after the deer attempted
suicide by jumping on my hood he fled the scene.

My deer committed suicide and repair cost was $2,400. He truly hit
me. Came out of nowhere giving me no time to brake or swerve.

Sue PETA. If not for them that deer would have been on the dinner table
months ago.

PETA doesn't have much traction in this state and there still are too
many damn deer.

https://townsquare.media/site/119/fi.../city-deer.jpg

In truth the city deer aren't a traffic problem. They are so used to
cars they look both ways before crossing the street. The one I hit was
up on the rez and they're a little more skittish.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/2/2019 10:02 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/1/2019 2:31 PM, Hawk wrote:
[...]

You're correct, my mistake. I failed to view time exposure and instead,
quickly glanced at this website.

http://burncentrecare.co.uk/about_burned_skin.html

Though, 120 or higher can cause burns, maybe not 3rd degree, but hot
enough to cause an accident if driving and discomfort if not. Coffee is
brewed hotter than 120.