Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How long does shingle roof last?

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 25 Nov 2019 21:55:02 -0500, micky
wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Should have said Baltimore. Sunny summers but not over 95 for more than
a dozen days a year.

No curling on the shingles I can see.
Posted to alt.home.repair

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?
Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.
I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Should have said Baltimore. Sunny summers but not over 95 for more than
a dozen days a year.
No curling on the shingles I can see.

How do you know where the leak originates ?
Even if you see the drip location in the attic -
the actual leak could be above that point -
at a vent flashing perhaps.
It's time to have a professional go up and look.
Hand him a can of roof patch when he goes.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

My Ex got about 20 years out of her "20 year" roof about 40 miles
south of you. Here in Florida we pretty much plan on about 70-80% of
the guarantee.
The guarantee is pretty useless too. It is the pro rated cost of what
you paid for the shingles against the list price and does not include
labor (the last time I read one).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

13 if you are REALLY lucky. More likely 8 to 10

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Most are TERRIBLE unless you buy the ultra premium shingles.
NorthGate by Certainteed are good shingles that WILL last over 25
years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 25 Nov 2019 21:55:02 -0500, micky wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine are 19 years old and look like new. GAF Timberline Architectural of some variety.
"30-year." I told the roofer what I wanted. There's a big difference in the weight - a
cheap shingle can be half the weight of a good shingle. Roofers prefer working with
lighter shingles. The roofer balked a bit but caved easily. Just charged me more.

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Get a roofer to look at it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/25/2019 9:55 PM, micky wrote:
If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Shingles not curled or losing grit, they are OK. How do you know where
leak is? It could be in some poorly sealed area and flowing down to
someplace else. Best if you can observe it if you can see underside
when it is raining. A roofer could find it and fix it but you may be
able to do it yourself.

Shingle roof should last anywhere from 20 to 50 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.
My Ex got about 20 years out of her "20 year" roof about 40 miles
south of you. Here in Florida we pretty much plan on about 70-80% of
the guarantee.
The guarantee is pretty useless too. It is the pro rated cost of what
you paid for the shingles against the list price and does not include
labor (the last time I read one).

Not certain if my last house was 20 year but I think so. I got 22 years
out of them and probably could have stretched a bit more.

Never heard of anyone making out with a warranty though.

My last roof was a 25 year roof and it was WAY overdue at 13.
Southwestern Ontario between London and Toronto

Â* How well ventilated is your attic space ? Heat buildup in the attic
space can have a dramatic effect on shingle life . I went with steel
here , has expected life of 40 yrs IIRC - and many here are older than
that and still look great .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 7:47:43 AM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 11/25/2019 9:55 PM, micky wrote:
If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Shingles not curled or losing grit, they are OK. How do you know where
leak is? It could be in some poorly sealed area and flowing down to
someplace else. Best if you can observe it if you can see underside
when it is raining. A roofer could find it and fix it but you may be
able to do it yourself.

Shingle roof should last anywhere from 20 to 50 years.

And a key factor is what kind of shingles? The cheapest basic?
Or heavier, architectural ones that not only look way better, but last
longer. Got about 25 years here with basic ones that were on the house.
New ones are architectural, heavier and should last longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Ventilation is about 25% more than recommended - attic temperatures
are not a problem - nor is humidity
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
micky wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Micky-

I agree that a pro roofer should be able to fix it.

Depending on your climate, it might last another ten years. Would that
satisfy you?

Fred
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 1:02:19 PM UTC-5, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
micky wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Micky-

I agree that a pro roofer should be able to fix it.

Depending on your climate, it might last another ten years. Would that
satisfy you?

Fred

Instead of watching Judge Judy he could get up there himself. It should be
inspected once ever couple years anyway to catch things like vent boots
that are cracking, before they cause a leak and damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto? shingles,
how long should it last? 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already. I can't see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job. They used famous name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.

Micky-

I agree that a pro roofer should be able to fix it.

Depending on your climate, it might last another ten years. Would that
satisfy you?

Fred

Instead of watching Judge Judy he could get up there himself. It should be
inspected once ever couple years anyway to catch things like vent boots
that are cracking, before they cause a leak and damage.

A roof inspection will only take a few minutes and he'll be back down in time for the Ellen DeGenerate Show.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Â* micky wrote:

If one gets a new asphalt? shingle roof with 20-year Monsanto?
shingles,
how long should it last?Â*Â* 20 years?

Mine is only 13 years old and has a small leak already.Â* I can't
see the
back half of the roof from the ground, but the leak is in the middle,
not by the chimney flashing.

I watched them put it on and they did a good job.Â* They used famous
name
shingles, though I can't remember if it was Monsanto, 3M maybe.
Micky-

I agree that a pro roofer should be able to fix it.

Depending on your climate, it might last another ten years. Would that
satisfy you?

Fred

Instead of watching Judge Judy he could get up there himself. It
should be
inspected once ever couple years anyway to catch things like vent boots
that are cracking, before they cause a leak and damage.

A roof inspection will only take a few minutes and he'll be back down
in time for the Ellen DeGenerate Show.

Â* I see I'm not the only one that calls her that ... How do you feel
about Rachel Rack ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old